Canon’s 2023 Financials

Aug 10, 2021
It's a good point. Could be graduation gift, too? I'll have to ask some international friends if they know how likely a camera would be a gift for such occasions.
I did a little bit of asking and it seems such gifts could be around 10 or 20% the value of a basic cheap camera - which explains something @neuroanatomist mentioned about the rest of Asia and Africa being a low percentage of camera sales.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
You're absolutely right! (I haven't frequented these stores for a long time...) ;)
Their websites no longer mention Nikon DSLRs.
Nikon really seems to be in a crisis. No good news for my wife, she uses - and suffers from - a quite big Nikon gear. For me as an Ex-Nikon user it would be sad, too, if that great lens and camera maker would follow so many other brands that are now history. But in former "analogue" times Nikon was equivalent to quality, and in the past 20 yrs I gained the impression that they generally have a lot of quality issues caused by investment cuts. Our many personal technical problems with "post digital" Nikon gear fits to what I read elsewhere from other users.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
In France, a typical "Holy Communion" gift was either a watch, a bicycle, or a camera.
I was lucky and got all three (Longines watch,Peugeot bicycle and Kodak Instamatic).
Nowadays, it's almost always a better smartphone, unless the child expressly wants a camera...:)
Today's many kids don't know anymore what a camera is for ;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Nikon really seems to be in a crisis. No good news for my wife, she uses - and suffers from - a quite big Nikon gear. For me as an Ex-Nikon user it would be sad, too, if that great lens and camera maker would follow so many other brands that are now history. But in former "analogue" times Nikon was equivalent to quality, and in the past 20 yrs I gained the impression that they generally have a lot of quality issues caused by investment cuts. Our many personal technical problems with "post digital" Nikon gear fits to what I read elsewhere from other users.
I guess there has never been a better and more reliable pro DSLR than the F and F2. The F3 was, at least in its beginnings, a different story, though Nikon reacted and corrected quickly.
Anyway, I'd rather see Nikon as Canon's main competitor than Youtube's favourite non-ergonomic brand...;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I guess there has never been a better and more reliable pro DSLR than the F and F2. The F3 was, at least in its beginnings, a different story, though Nikon reacted and corrected quickly.
Anyway, I'd rather see Nikon as Canon's main competitor than Youtube's favourite non-ergonomic brand...;)
We still have 3 FM-2's and use it. My wife was 2010/11 in Sibera over winter for a job (she is an engineer), she left her digital Nikon D300 (a really bad camera compared with my 7D Mk I back then) home and took only an FM-2 with her, with lenses, because she didn't trust Nikon's batteries would work at -40 °C. As a skilled photographer, she would have been even able to shoot the FM-2 even when its meter battery would have stopped working, just by the old sort of "sunny 16 rules" (but adjusted to snow!). But her camera worked perfectly. Only her Sigma 28-70/2.8 zoom broke into pieces, it was too cold for its mechanics. Fortunately, she had also a set of Nikkor primes with her - the old, rugged and reliable stuff from Nikon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The Z 6 III sounds promising.
Nikon has a lot riding on it.
Also, the Z 8 is much improved by the latest firmware update.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Indeed, one of the greatest photographers since the 1970s - and an impressive personality. Did you know that he changed from documentary (as an art) to nature and wildlife photography in the past years? After his horror trip in the Rwanda civil war, where he shot heartbreaking photos, he was mentally so wounded that he couldn't proceed with his work documenting of what humans are capable of doing to each other. So, after a long break, he returned to photography, but to a more meditative way of catching images. I am a huge fan of his work (and actually I really don't mind what brand he uses, it's just gear, and Canon gear seems to serve his way of shooting best).
Same thing with Don McCullin, a renown British photographer. I won't say 'war photographer' because I know he hates that epitaph, but he got sick of the horrors of war and after a very successful career took up B&W landscape photography using his trusty Mamiya Universal 6x9. For all you FF advocates that's a man's camera with five and a half times area of FF. Funnily enough he moved to Canon FF (digital) for his more journalistic type work. It does surprise me that the likes of Salgado and McCullin et al went for Canon over Nikon, especially when the likes of McCullin had relied on Nikon in their early days. It is puzzling as to why Nikon began to decline against Canon and Sony. Personally I think that it began when Nikon changed the logo to make it look as if it had had one too many.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Same thing with Don McCullin, a renown British photographer. I won't say 'war photographer' because I know he hates that epitaph, but he got sick of the horrors of war and after a very successful career took up B&W landscape photography using his trusty Mamiya Universal 6x9. For all you FF advocates that's a man's camera with five and a half times area of FF. Funnily enough he moved to Canon FF (digital) for his more journalistic type work. It does surprise me that the likes of Salgado and McCullin et al went for Canon over Nikon, especially when the likes of McCullin had relied on Nikon in their early days. It is puzzling as to why Nikon began to decline against Canon and Sony. Personally I think that it began when Nikon changed the logo to make it look as if it had had one too many.
Don McCullin - yeah, I guess most war photographers are traumatized after a while. Doing landscape is a good remedy. I don't know when he went digital, but e.g. Canon's original 5D was a very attractive offer in the small field of FF digital cameras back then. Nikon needed three years to reply with their D700 adequatly, which was a very good camera back then, but Canon offered already with the 5D Mk II more than 20 MP in the slim FF body and full HD video - a revolution. They were really miles ahead of Nikon back then.

The Mamiya Universal 6x9 is a hefty workhorse of a camera. I was several times tempted to get me one, since they are not expensive today. But my relatively light and compact - for a 6x6 format - New Mamiya 6 serves me much better.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Don McCullin - yeah, I guess most war photographers are traumatized after a while. Doing landscape is a good remedy. I don't know when he went digital, but e.g. Canon's original 5D was a very attractive offer in the small field of FF digital cameras back then.
I believe he started using the 5Diii, so around 2013.

Upvote 0