Canon EOS R5 Firmware v2.0.0 Released

That assumes that the animal eye AF improvements are all in the software. Perhaps there's another circuit or some other mechanical feature that makes the later cameras so much better. I don't know the answer -- but given the level of dissatisfaction among R5 owners, maybe Canon isn't fixing it using Firmware because it can't be fixed using Firmware.
My R5 can't track my Schnauzer with eye-af due to his long eye brows... you learn to live with head tracking instead.
Tracking weird underwater critters with either no eyes or very well camouflaged eyes means that center point point is my friend most of the time.
Eye-af for people is amazing though. Sometimes it misses from the closest person in big groups and gets another but using Set to reset back to a subject I want works well. So much more so than my 5Div ever did.
I have never changed the use case AF model or BBF or dual BBF either so I am happy with what it does now.

"given the level of dissatisfaction among R5 owners" seems to be a gross overstatement

Upvote 0
They must provide bug fixes
Canon most certainly does not have to provide bug fixes and prior to mirrorless cameras updates were rare.
If you were paying full "maintenance" annual fees (on-site repairs with SLAs, SW bug reporting etc) then I would expect that they would would do it... but on a (mostly) consumer model 4 years after release??

Perhaps you are thinking of SW/OS releases where they are connected to the internet and have security bugs that need squishing. Air-gapped or embedded OS wouldn't need updates in that case.

I know of a couple of instances where companies have paid (dearly) for extended software support where bug fixes were needed over time. Basically, you are paying for key people who know the SW extremely well.

Upvote 0
Indeed! I'm quite satisfied with my R5. :cool:
Me too! I bought it knowing that I would keep it for a long time and the specs far exceeded my needs at the time. yes, there are a couple of areas that I would like to fix (Rate button reassignment to something useful) but there aren't many and ultimately aren't blocking issues.

I will skip R5ii. If I have to replace it eg insurance claim then I will be in a quandary... If the R5ii matches ergonomics then no need to upgrade my underwater housing. If not, I will probably get a second hand R5. I fully expect Canon to keep a discounted R5 and R5ii available in the market for some time (similar to R6 and R6ii).

Upvote 0
Yes it has overheated to where I have to shut it down while taking photos.
All cameras will ultimately shut down due to overheating but the environmental conditions need to be extreme.
Shooting in 40C indoors (no air flow) with thousands of images in a short time has the body getting warm but not shutting down.
What conditions are you shooting in?

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
This is definitely not what you would expect from a big rounded firmware number like 2.0.0. A number like that deserves at least some measurable AF enhancements, some video tweak even if you don't shoot video.

These changes are more suited for release 1.8.3 stepping up from 1.8.1 and that\'s being charitable. The kind of improvement you look at and say, "not this time, I'll catch up with you at the next firmware, ..."

Upvote 0
This is definitely not what you would expect from a big rounded firmware number like 2.0.0. A number like that deserves at least some measurable AF enhancements, some video tweak even if you don't shoot video.

These changes are more suited for release 1.8.3 stepping up from 1.8.1 and that\'s being charitable. The kind of improvement you look at and say, "not this time, I'll catch up with you at the next firmware, ..."
I think that might be because it's the last firmware update for the R5. Don't expect anything but occasional bug fixes, if any. Canon rounded it up so to say.

The next actual firmware will be 1.0.0 for the R5II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I'm still using an OVF, mainly for outdoor shooting. In particular snow and alpine scenes in bright light and while wearing dark glasses. How does an EVF go in a situation like this? I tried using a friends Sony a while back and couldn't see a thing. It's the reason I like a top plate screen for camera settings as viewing the back of a camera is hard work in bright light.
I've used it in alpine/snow scenes without any issues. There was a significant jump in EVF quality when the R5 came out. I was meh on previous gen EVFs from Canon and Sony at that time, but the R5 a big improvement, it needed a bunch of things including the processing power to do this. Also turn off ECO to really experience it.

Upvote 0
what the heck are you shooting at causing overheat? I can take 800 or so pics indoors at a small warm pub (live music) with high bursts and never had it overheat with pure 20 FPS RAW bursts.. mind you, I did get the prograde cobalt card, but it shouldn't overheat!
All cameras will ultimately shut down due to overheating but the environmental conditions need to be extreme.
Shooting in 40C indoors (no air flow) with thousands of images in a short time has the body getting warm but not shutting down.
What conditions are you shooting in?
It's not really what I am shooting, just how long the camera is continuously on. Previously it has been a wedding (8-10 hours) or on a commercial shoot where I am shooting all day. Now I have to plan to turn camera off periodically, or keep the live view off the entire time (but probably still have to power off). Not really ideal. Obviously if I am shooting outdoors in the summer (95 degrees) no matter what I do it is going to overheat.

Upvote 0
Yes it has overheated to where I have to shut it down while taking photos.
I've never had that happen. I've filled a 128gig card - taking over 3,000 photos (including a second card.) Also shot high speed in mechanical shutter. I'm just curious as to your conditions.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I did not understand the 2 TB enhancement...
just reading it it sounded like 2TB cards weren't recognized at all before, and now they're recognized but can only be used up to 2TB. I've got some 256GB cards and don't follow the market for anything bigger as I don't really shoot video.

Upvote 0
Never had an overheating issue, even during long Wildlife shootings. Since I have my R5 I've only had once an Error Message. That happened when connecting a new lens. After upgrade to the 1.9.0 this happened no more.
For me the R5 is a very good camera and the R5 Mark II needs to provide very good arguments to motivate an upgrade. (I guess the R5MarkII will also become more expensive 4.5k - 5k) Such an investment needs to be justified in my eyes. So Canon, please don't add only a few new features and face lift. Provide a real game changer as in 2020. That's what we are looking for.

Upvote 0