Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Light in Stock at B&H Photo

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16610"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=16610">Tweet</a></div>
B&H Photo now has stock of the brand new <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030212-REG/canon_9389b002_mr_14ex_ii_macro_ring.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">MR-14EX II Macro Ring Light</a>.</p>
<p><strong>Overview

</strong>The MR-14EX II Macro Ring Light from Canon is designed for use with a Macro lens for close-up photography. With a guide number 34.4′ at ISO 100 per side, its twin tube design allows each flash tube to fire independently, or simultaneously to provide a combined guide number of 45.9′ at ISO 100. White LED focusing lamps and two types of modeling lights allow for accurate previewing of the light’s effect.</p>
<p>An illuminated dot-matrix LCD screen lets you make adjustments to the flash in both bright- and low-light situations. The MR-14EX II has 12 custom functions, and supports wireless E-TTL when linked with one or more Speedlite 600EX-RT flashes.</p>
<p>The ring light can be powered by 4x AA batteries or an optional CP-E4 battery pack.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030212-REG/canon_9389b002_mr_14ex_ii_macro_ring.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Light at B&H Photo $549</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">c</span>r</strong></p>

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
SoullessPolack said:
Does anyone know the diameter of what size lens can fit in there? Mainly I'm curious if I can use this with a 200 f/2.0 for that nice ring light effect on portraits.

With the MFD of the 200, and the power output of the 14EX, you'd be hard pushed to get an exposure anyway!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2010
privatebydesign said:
SoullessPolack said:
Does anyone know the diameter of what size lens can fit in there? Mainly I'm curious if I can use this with a 200 f/2.0 for that nice ring light effect on portraits.

With the MFD of the 200, and the power output of the 14EX, you'd be hard pushed to get an exposure anyway!
You don't need no stinking flash with the 200/f2 goodness ;)

Upvote 0
I have never used macro flash, but would it have made sense to have it fit a bigger diameter lens? Then simple step-down adapters could be made for smaller lenses, but it seems you would be limited in how far you could go the other way (stepping it up with adapters) before the flash was blocking the lens.

The Canon 180mm macro has a 72mm thread. So does the Sigma 150 and the Tamron 180. Surely they would have made it so it can adapt up to that size, right?

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
I have never used macro flash, but would it have made sense to have it fit a bigger diameter lens? Then simple step-down adapters could be made for smaller lenses, but it seems you would be limited in how far you could go the other way (stepping it up with adapters) before the flash was blocking the lens.

The Canon 180mm macro has a 72mm thread. So does the Sigma 150 and the Tamron 180. Surely they would have made it so it can adapt up to that size, right?

Not only is the power GN important, but the angle of the flash. Macro ring flashes have the tubes slighted tilted toward the center as most of the macro shots are taken up pretty close. This differes from the types of ring flashes used in fashion photography as they are designed to throw the light a good distance away from the camera.

When using longer FL macro lenses, the working distance increases. That is one of the advantages of longer FL macro lenses. Depending on the FL and the MFD of the longer macro lenses, the optimum focus area may be our of range of the angle of the macro ring flash. The flash may have the power, but the reflectors direct the light closer.

I have never used my old MR-14 with the longer 150+mm macro lenses. But I do know that with the shorter FL macro lenses it is possible to focus beyond the angle of the macro flash light path.

That may be a reason why the ring adapters are the size they are.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
2n10 said:
67mm threads. There are adapters available for slightly different thread sizes.

No, it has 67mm front threads so you can attach a filter. The native diameter of the mount ring is for a 58mm lens - it mounts directly onto the barrel of the MP-E 65mm and 100/2.8 (non-L) macro lenses. For other lenses, you need a Macrolite adapter - the 67C for the 100L Macro, 72C for the 180L Macro, or a 58C for a lens that doesn't have the mounting groove on the barrel (or if you want to put a filter behind the flash ring of a directly compatible lens - I do that with my MP-E 65mm and MT-24EX, having the filter closer to the lens cuts down on reflections).

If you look at Canon macro lenses, the front element is quite a bit smaller than the filter thread. You don't get vignetting even with the 180L.

Upvote 0

Nov 9, 2013
I have the original MR-14EX and I use it on both the 100L (67C adapter) and the Sigma 150mm (72C adapter).
It works just fine even with extension tubes and/or extenders. My Canon extender can be fitted directly to the Sigma without extension tube.

The original MR-14EX will trigger optical slaves I’ve used it in combination with the 430EX II.

Here an example of a Twenty-plume Moth that landed on one of my monitors. Shot with the Sigma 150mm + EF 1.4x II extender and MR-14EX

Alucita_hexadactyla_13193.jpg

Upvote 0
Sabaki said:
Canon Rumors said:
...and supports wireless E-TTL when linked with one or more Speedlite 600EX-RT flashes.</p>

Are they intentionally trying to promote the 600 or is there something new that these next-gen flashes are capable of?

There's no review yet regarding this flash unit

It is just an optical master, same as its predecessor. The reference to the 600-EX-RT was, in my opinion, just an intentional misdirection to confuse people into thinking it was an RT master. It isn't.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
mrzero said:
It is just an optical master, same as its predecessor. The reference to the 600-EX-RT was, in my opinion, just an intentional misdirection to confuse people into thinking it was an RT master. It isn't.

Which is a shame really. I think of it as missed opportunity for Canon. Should this flash be also RT master, it would be a welcome addition to Canon RT system. I frankly do not know the purpose of this update.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
mrzero said:

Which is a shame really. I think of it as missed opportunity for Canon. Should this flash be also RT master, it would be a welcome addition to Canon RT system. I frankly do not know the purpose of this update.

Some are hoping that they will now update the MT-24 to be an RT master, which would make a little more sense of the line-up.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
mackguyver said:
I'm not sure if people have seen this, but there are a number of improvements with this flash, even if it has disappointed many of us:

Canon Camera Museum Technical Report: Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX II

Very informative, thank you. So it's basicly many minor upgrade with the omission of RT system integration (definitely on purpose, as we know Canon, but it's a pity, as an RT master, this would be killer addition to the Speedlite system).

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Sabaki said:
I've just read that the new flash can use filters. Help me think here, I haven't slept in two days, are their filters that could help with diffusion?

Filters as in the same kind you'd put on the lens, except you screw them onto the front threads of the mounting ring (that clips to the lens).

Upvote 0