Canon releases firmware v1.9.0 for the EOS R5

Interesting that I got an email from Canon USA announcing the all the new firmware, but when you use the link to the USA site, it still shows 1.81 (R5) and same for the R3. Always makes me wonder if it may not be ready for primetime.

Exactly the same thing is happening at Canon Australia's website. I emailed them about their website and they replied with an attached link which took me to 1.8.1 (R5). Sounds like the web info is done centrally and has been messed up, at least for the US and Aust.

Upvote 0
Of course, someone who wants to shoot in M mode and be able to compensate exposure must have the ISO set to Auto. However, as I already wrote in one of my earlier posts, some people can be confused that, after they have "manually" set the ISO value, it then returns to Auto (with some combination of settings in the menu, I even think it is set that way by default) - I assume that this is the problem here. Otherwise, the M mode on the R5 works completely manually.

Interesting. I have never struck that.
It does make sense that ISO should be set to Auto for exposure compensation. It's also set out in the manual for the Manual Exposure setting.

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
THanks all for your help, I will just monitor and see what comes up over the next few days
You do realize that when the screen pop up comes up telling you to complete the download, you need to open the back screen and allow the download, if not the screen from eos utility will shut down. Is this what you have been try? to install from eos utility?

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi, I saw several fw updates for EOS R3, R6, R7 and so on over 1 month ago but nothing for the R5 which is still stuck at version 1.9.0.
I like the camera very much but of course AF could be faster and bit more precise, or other features to be added.
I hope Canon will NOT stop developing updates for the R5 firmware now:-(...?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hi, I saw several fw updates for EOS R3, R6, R7 and so on over 1 month ago but nothing for the R5 which is still stuck at version 1.9.0.
I like the camera very much but of course AF could be faster and bit more precise, or other features to be added.
I wouldn't expect new features for the R5 or upgrades to its AF system and I'm quite sure it will only see updates for things like new lenses once the R5II gets announced. The R6 vs R6II situation is likely a good indicator how the R5 will get handled in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
In my experience the R5 is very reliable, it works without any bugs, the previous firmware updates have been useful (except for the 400MP option which is useless for my needs at least), the AF works very fast and accurate... The R5 has become a better camera with all the updates than it was when it first came out, and even when it came out it was excellent. I see almost no reason for a new update. When I say almost no reason, it doesn't mean that I don't think that some things couldn't be fixed, but if after so many years of existence they haven't been fixed, I don't have much hope that it will ever be done in the future. What really bothers me, but almost no one mentions it, so I believe that I am among the few who are affected by this "problem", is that the R5 in any resolution (FHD, 4K, 8K...) in 16:9 aspect ratio actually it does not record with the full width of the sensor at all, but the crop steals quite a bit of width. In the DCI aspect ratio (17:9), the R5 uses the entire width of the sensor, but given that the FHD resolution exists only in the 16:9 aspect ratio, the R5 is actually not Full Frame at all! Well, I'd love it if Canon would fix it, but I kind of doubt they'll ever do it if they haven't by now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Agreed in that I do not expect a firmware update for the R5 adding features. Those new features will be saved for the R5II as reasons for all us to upgrade. I would love to see a pre-shooting mode that is in several other cameras....but I do not expect it.

Also agreed on how good the R5 is. Sure, there may be niches where someone needs better/different....but it is excellent as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R3, for example, did not get the pre-shooting buffer added via a firmware update. The latest R3 update added:
1. Adds support for RF-S10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM lens.​
2. Fixes an issue that may cause the camera, in rare instances, to experience a delayed restart after the camera has gone into Auto Power Off.​
3. Fixes minor issues.​

When a 'replacement' model is at a certain point in the pipeline, Canon stops adding features to the current model. Note that the rumored spec list of the R1 does include the pre-shooting buffer. If you want that, Canon wants you to buy an R1.

Upvote 0