Canon RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 as part of a "hybrid family" of L prime lenses

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I heard and read about that. Here my two cents:
First of all, I chose a part of the island, where there are very few tourists and no high-rises/ entertainment areas or such. Much more relaxed and calm and close to nature.
Second of all, these are the same people who cried during COVID and begged people to come. After covid, Mallorca and the Canary Islands did a bunch of marketing in Germany and tried to lure people to the islands. You can´t complain both ways... although some tourist destinations would benefit from a more controlled way or a maximum number of tourists... but I won´t get into this vicious cycle...
The vicious circle is round like $$$$$ ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
*Update* We have been told that both the RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and the RF 50mm f/1.4L (Yes, an L and without IS) are part of a new “hybrid family” of RF prime lenses. The RF 35mm f/1.4L USM will come first around the same time as the EOS R5 Mark II and the RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50 f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 of 2024.

Colour me surprised about the 50mm, the crow is tasty. The RF 35mm f/1.4L USM will tell us what's in store for the 24 and 50.
I would prefer a 24 f/1.2, 35 f/1.2, and 50 f/1.4 IS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Perhaps "video focused" means that they are going the Sony route and making a set of lenses smaller and lighter to make the gimbal friendly.
If that is the case then f/1.4 and no IS would make sense.
A higher aperture and the inclusion of IS would make the lenses bigger.
Smaller and lighter lenses would also make some photographers happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The RF 35mm f/1.4L USM will come first around the same time as the EOS R5 Mark II and the RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50 f/1.4L USM coming in Q4 of 2024.
These lenses will make some people very happy. Personally, I’ll stick with my 28-70/2 to cover that range (close enough in FL and aperture, for me).

• Angry
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The article was updated with new information, but the title wasn’t updated.
It's generally bad practice to change a headline beyond grammatical issues (I did change the forum thread). I did add "(This headline is incorrect)" to the site.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I would prefer a 24 f/1.2, 35 f/1.2, and 50 f/1.4 IS.
Me too (shocker) for the 35!
For a 24mm I'd probably rather wait for a TS lens... the 50 1.4 is not going to pry the 50 1.2 from my very alive and very grabby hands

It seems like I am going to be disappointed with this upcoming round of announcements

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
It's generally bad practice to change a headline beyond grammatical issues (I did change the forum thread). I did add "(This headline is incorrect)" to the site.
And I bet the backend won’t change the URL slug, so the link will have the original title in it forever as well :)

At work we have similar issues with our internal documentation, we can improve the docs and reword things, but all the links have to keep working.

Upvote 0
Im interested if the 24mm 1.4 is decently corrected for coma, as it could be useful for astrophotography. Historically Canon primes have had pretty awful coma...

And the 50mm IS sounds really nice. I just hope that the video centric feature won't make it less useful for photographers.

It seems there are about three of us that want a native Canon RF fast UWA that handles coma well. I Have the Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 and 14mm f1.8 EF mounts and use them both quite a bit for astro. I would willingly replace both with Canon RF offerings but it seems Canon has never taken the astro market that seriously other than creating bodies that cater to night photography. We will see what this 24mm holds and hope that they go even wider and fast with another prime (ideally 12 or 14 mm) or release an UWA zoom that is at least f 2.8. Any of these would be a guaranteed buy for me if they are decent in the corners.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
It seems there are about three of us that want a native Canon RF fast UWA that handles coma well. I Have the Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 and 14mm f1.8 EF mounts and use them both quite a bit for astro. I would willingly replace both with Canon RF offerings but it seems Canon has never taken the astro market that seriously other than creating bodies that cater to night photography. We will see what this 24mm holds and hope that they go even wider and fast with another prime (ideally 12 or 14 mm) or release an UWA zoom that is at least f 2.8. Any of these would be a guaranteed buy for me if they are decent in the corners.
Unfortunately I don't really see Canon fleshing out the UWA bits of the prime lens line-up (anything under 24mm) this year -- the 35L, maybe 24L etc will take precedence.

For now, I think a A7CR with some combination of Sigma 14/1.4, 15/1.4, 20/1.4, and 24/1.4 is probably the best bet if you are serious about astro.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Well I hope you guys didn’t manage to wake Ahsanford up earlier in the thread.

Upvote 0
If this 1.4 50mm is close to the EF-M 1.4 32 in terms of max. magnification, overall image quality and in the region of 1 k$/1k€ I will buy one. Good for FF but also great for APS-C where it is 80mm-ish.
Just tried my FD 1.4 50 S.S.C. with an EOS RP today to see how it works: Image quality is phantastic for FullHD including soft background but trying to make a video of myself was not that easy: Looking at a smartphone to check my right position and than putting the smart phone away and talk without moving isn't that easy.

Upvote 0