Firmware Notice: Speedlite 600EX-RT and Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT

Jul 21, 2010
JonAustin said:
Is there a date after which this firmware update will no longer be offered, I wonder?

Probably not. For hardware fixes, eventually they'll run out of parts, some years after a product is discontinued. I doubt they'd run out of a firmware update.

There will probably be a 'sunset date' when they no longer offer the fix for free. In the case of the 5D (classic) mirror box issue, that date was 10 years after the service advisory date. They'll still fix them, but now you have to pay.

So, I'd say you have some time...

Upvote 0

JonAustin

Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
Dec 10, 2012
Horseshoe Bay, TX
neuroanatomist said:
For hardware fixes, eventually they'll run out of parts, some years after a product is discontinued. I doubt they'd run out of a firmware update.

There will probably be a 'sunset date' when they no longer offer the fix for free. In the case of the 5D (classic) mirror box issue, that date was 10 years after the service advisory date. They'll still fix them, but now you have to pay.

Well, it's certainly reassuring to know that they've stocked enough firmware updates, so they don't run out! ;)

I didn't need the 5D mirror box fix, and hopefully, I won't need this either.

Interesting that you should use the term "sunset date." I used it in the original draft of my post, and then edited it out.

Upvote 0
JP4DESIGNZ said:
Has anyone sent their flashes in yet? Mine was delivered yesterday and today, I was told it would take up to 7 business days for my flashes to be updated and shipped back.

I sent mine in on 12/26, played email tag with Canon reps on 12/28 and 12/29 and received them on 1/5, so that sounds about right. Initially, they did not want to update the firmware but I insisted citing future compatibility issues. The paperwork says they updated the firmware, but they did not mark them with white dots.

Upvote 0
Rahul said:
2 out of my 4 flashes are affected. I don't think I'll get upto 7 and beyond so I've decided against sending my flashes in.

I had some downtime after Christmas and sent them in. All 4 of mine and the ST-E3-RT were affected. Was it likely that I'd get to 7 or more flashes -- probably not. But it was for piece of mind in case I ever do. Plus I have a clear conscience if I decide to sell the units and will include the paperwork for the update. The biggest annoyance about this is that it costs time -- time to pack the units and go back and forth with Canon takes a little over a week. But Canon paid for the shipping both ways and checked the flashes out anyway.

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
Random Orbits said:
Rahul said:
2 out of my 4 flashes are affected. I don't think I'll get upto 7 and beyond so I've decided against sending my flashes in.

I had some downtime after Christmas and sent them in. All 4 of mine and the ST-E3-RT were affected. Was it likely that I'd get to 7 or more flashes -- probably not. But it was for piece of mind in case I ever do. Plus I have a clear conscience if I decide to sell the units and will include the paperwork for the update. The biggest annoyance about this is that it costs time -- time to pack the units and go back and forth with Canon takes a little over a week. But Canon paid for the shipping both ways and checked the flashes out anyway.

Aye, but in my part of the word the turnaround time is much longer. It will probably take 3 weeks minimum. I am unwilling to part with my flashes for 3 weeks or more, at this point in time. :)

Upvote 0
Mitch.Conner said:
So, are they updating the unit, or swapping it with a new/refurbished one?

I am about to send mine in. I've been holding off until I had some time.

As far as I understand, they are updating it. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow, after I pick mine up.

Seems there's both a firmware update and some adjustment. Usually the CPS office can do FW upgrades themselves, but this one Canon wants to keep to themselves.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
Mitch.Conner said:
So, are they updating the unit, or swapping it with a new/refurbished one?

I am about to send mine in. I've been holding off until I had some time.

As far as I understand, they are updating it. I'll let you know for sure tomorrow, after I pick mine up.

Seems there's both a firmware update and some adjustment. Usually the CPS office can do FW upgrades themselves, but this one Canon wants to keep to themselves.

They are updating the firmware, possibly adjusting the ST-E3-RT, and returning it.

What I don't understand is that Canon RCC (in Göteborg) didn't want my 600EX-RT's for firmware upgrades, so they never got sent to them. I've asked my local CPS service center (DFAservice) to follow up on that for an explanation and I sent the question to Canon Denmark about this through their webpage.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
They are updating the firmware, possibly adjusting the ST-E3-RT, and returning it.

What I don't understand is that Canon RCC (in Göteborg) didn't want my 600EX-RT's for firmware upgrades, so they never got sent to them. I've asked my local CPS service center (DFAservice) to follow up on that for an explanation and I sent the question to Canon Denmark about this through their webpage.

Update #3: After both the service center and myself spoke with Canon DK, the conclusion is that the 600EX-RT's do need to be updated. They mentioned even a PCB board update (read: board replacement). My Speedlite are going off again shortly.

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
Update #3: After both the service center and myself spoke with Canon DK, the conclusion is that the 600EX-RT's do need to be updated. They mentioned even a PCB board update (read: board replacement). My Speedlite are going off again shortly.

Final update: picked up the 600EX-RT's today. I looked for white dots inside the battery door (to signify the update), but found none. I'm curious if others have the same experience. How would I even know if they updated the units?

Upvote 0
kaihp said:
kaihp said:

Final update: picked up the 600EX-RT's today. I looked for white dots inside the battery door (to signify the update), but found none. I'm curious if others have the same experience. How would I even know if they updated the units?

Keep the paperwork. The paperwork stated that the firmware was updated but my units weren't marked with white dots either.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
JonAustin said:
Is there a date after which this firmware update will no longer be offered, I wonder?

Probably not. For hardware fixes, eventually they'll run out of parts, some years after a product is discontinued. I doubt they'd run out of a firmware update.

Caution here: the 600EX-RT's gets a board replacement, so Canon can/will run out of replacement parts for those.

Random Orbits said:
kaihp said:
I looked for white dots inside the battery door (to signify the update), but found none. I'm curious if others have the same experience. How would I even know if they updated the units?

Keep the paperwork. The paperwork stated that the firmware was updated but my units weren't marked with white dots either.

Good point, I'll do that :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
kaihp said:
Caution here: the 600EX-RT's gets a board replacement, so Canon can/will run out of replacement parts for those.

Thanks, didn't know that. Still, it'll be some time...years after the 600EX-RT is replaced, I'd think. But I'll likely send mine in soon regardless.

I'd guess that the replacement boards are identical to one of the boards that goes into the newer 600EX-RT's ( ie: those that don't need the fix). If that's true, they'll be able to fix the 'old' EX-RT's until the stop servicing the 600EX-RT's altogether.

So yeah, it's not like you need to rush down to your local CPS center to have them fixed.

Upvote 0
I let my local dealer (in Germany) where I bought my two 600s send them in to Canon. Took about two weeks until they were back at the store. At least if the date that the shop claimed to have notified me is correct. Likely some mistyped email address, but I never received the notice and in total waited about 6 weeks until I went to the shop to ask. I'm not currently qualifying for CPS, otherwise I would likely have sent them in myself for priority service.
I got the same devices back (same serial numbers) and both now have a white dot (hope Canon really did more than make the white dots…).

BTW: While I did some tests with the returned flashes, I noticed that when I trigger them with my Yongnuo Speedlite Transmitter YN-E3-RT, they recharge faster than when I press the test button directly on the flash or remote trigger them with the other 600 or the 430III. When I take images, with the YN-E3-RT the light output seems to be very slightly reduced (1/10 of a stop or so, reducing power by 1/3 of a stop has a much bigger effect). Also while recharging normally they make some slight noise half way through the recharge, which they do not do with the Yongnuo. Not sure if this was already the case before sending them in, but has anybody else noticed something like this?

Upvote 0