Here’s what the anonymous grapevine has sent us over the 8 weeks

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'll just be a crybaby, PLS:
- 50/1.4 with the size and weight of our beloved EF version. For expensive and heavy, we got the 1.2, that's enough.
- 150/2 macro (1:1). The 180/3.5 macro is gone, rest in peace. A 150/2 could be a really great portrait/macro combo on full frame.
- 600/5.6 - something between the 100-500 and the 600/4 which is affordable and has reasonable weight and price.
- R1s or whatever - flagship camera like the 1Ds back in the days with high resolution and best AF. Once I buy a camera for shitloads of money, I don't want to be needing to chose between resolution and AF performance.
- R5 with 60 MP.

Dear Riker,

It's been over 30 years now. We are never, ever getting back together.

Love,

Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens

1715314456463.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
- 150/2 macro (1:1). The 180/3.5 macro is gone, rest in peace. A 150/2 could be a really great portrait/macro combo on full frame.

Macros are optimized for flat field performance of a two dimensional subject at MFD. Most portraitists desire smooth bokeh at considerably longer subject distances. The two characteristics are oppositional in terms of design decisions. Flat field correction tends to make bokeh harsh. Lenses with smooth bokeh tend to have field curvature, which is anathema for macro work.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
personally on the DSLR side I always used a 7D and 5D side by side. Loved it.

Which is exactly why they wouldn't release both at the same time. Stagger the releases by a year or so and more customers will buy both instead of deciding on one or the other if both are released simultaneously.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
Here's my 2 cents on that second body: The R6 Mark III will inherit the R3 stacked 24 MP sensor, just like the original R6 shared the 1Dx Mark III 20 MP sensor, along with a newer DIGIC processor.

It will drop the eye-control AF and the touch AF control button and use lower resolution EVF than what you get in the R3 in order to save on component cost and allow Canon to demand higher price for the R3 until that model gets its update in 2025.

It might still not come at the same $2500 initial MSRP of the R6 and R6 II but it will be highly competitive in its price segment and ready to slug it out with the Nikon Z6 III when that model come out later in the summer.

People might say no way Canon can afford to offer a stacked sensor in a R6 prosumer body but then Fujifilm has been offering the X-H2s with a stacked sensor for 2 years now and for Canon it would be even cheaper since they already had that sensor in their parts bin for 3 years now and recovered most of their R&D expenses from selling the R3 at $6K since 2021.

Either that, or expect fire sale on the R3 in the range of $3K a pop by the time Black Friday rolls in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have never considered the R7 to be a "7D"

in my mind, a 7D series camera body to augment a R5 would have the same ergonomic layout, AF, etc, and could be easily used side by side.[…]
Since I liked the EG-E1 on the R8 so much, I looked around for something similar for the R7. Someone created a 3d printable model that I slightly modified to use stock fasteners:
IMG_5380.jpeg

That made it a lot more useable with the 100-500L for me. Much better ergonomics!

[…]
Thinking a bit about it more, with crop mode on the cameras and the ability of the EVF to respond to that crop mode adjustment, you could with a high enough MP full frame camera, literally mimic a high performance crop camera as well. It would need to be around 78 or 80MP though. We just haven't gotten to that point yet.
My DSLR before I went into the R system was an original 7D, so the R5 in crop mode was pretty much the same resolution, but useable beyond ISO 400!

For me, it’s not so much about reach, I really want all the MPs I can get when focus stacking. I would have preferred a 60MP R5II, but a 45 MP with a faster sensor is a very, very close second.

I wonder if Canon gives us a way to use IBIS multishot (RAW!!!) in combination with focus stacking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
And as a simulator, much safer than the real thing.
Boeing is a sad example how greed and mismanagement can turn a solid company into a liability.
Boeing formerly an admired and copied brand, has now become a laughing stock. Sad, real sad...

Upvote 0
Macros are optimized for flat field performance of a two dimensional subject at MFD. Most portraitists desire smooth bokeh at considerably longer subject distances. The two characteristics are oppositional in terms of design decisions. Flat field correction tends to make bokeh harsh. Lenses with smooth bokeh tend to have field curvature, which is anathema for macro work.
That's interesting. Why do they do that? At least as many macro subjects are three dimensional as flat; is it inherent in being able to focus that close? The EF 100L has seen a fair amount of use for portraiture but I'm not expert enough in that genre to judge the quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nice summary of insights. For me, this is a pretty disappointing cycle of releases. There will be lots of bits for others but I am still hoping for higher MP, wider and faster UWAs and improved DR (even if incremental). It seems the landscape community has been left at the curb for another cycle.

I was hoping for something in the 60 MP+ range, something in the 12mm wide or wider and faster than f2.8 range. Neither is rumored and who knows how much longer it will be (if ever) before those opportunities are addressed natively.

Oh well, I can save my money for mods to my vehicle so that I can go further off road when the time comes!

Upvote 0
I would be very interested in the 24-70mm F2 (basically a mkii follow-up) IF Canon is able to cut a bunch of weight. I am not pleased with the RF 24-105mm F4 L and therefore I could sell the lens and the RF 85mm F2 (and maybe the RF 35mm F1.8) to at least partially fund the 24-70mm F2. Plus, it would help a lot not having to switch lenses all the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
I would be very interested in the 24-70mm F2 (basically a mkii follow-up) IF Canon is able to cut a bunch of weight. I am not pleased with the RF 24-105mm F4 L and therefore I could sell the lens and the RF 85mm F2 (and maybe the RF 35mm F1.8) to at least partially fund the 24-70mm F2. Plus, it would help a lot not having to switch lenses all the time.
Same here.
I didn't like ma RF 24-105 F4, a good lens, but I expected more. Whenever I thought of using it, I ended putting primes into my bag. Optically, the difference in quality was too high.
But if the 24-70 F2 is as good, but lighter than the 28-70 F2, it will get a place in my "mountain bag".
Whether optically or software corrected, I don't care if the result convinces...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I believe that's more design theory than the reality of every person's usage. Consider two points:

if you have a macro subject that is not flat, it doesn't matter as much - it also doesn't matter that much if you're tightening the aperture or using focus stacking.

Not everyone is so particular about boke - if it saves them from carrying (AND BUYING!) one more lens, I expect it's not a few people willing to use a macro for portraits.

Upvote 0