IBIS on tripod?

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
What's the current consensus on the question of turning off image stabilization when using a tripod?

I use an R6 mark 2 and will be doing some landscape photography with the RF 24-105 f/4 and the RF 70-200 f/2.8 which of course have their own stabilization systems that apparently work together with the body's IBIS.

Are the current IBIS stabilization systems smart enough to handle shooting on a tripod or should I switch it off?

If I do switch it off, does the switch on the lens do the whole job or do I need to go into the camera menus and turn it off there?

I'm sure some of my fellow Canon fanboys know the answer! Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2010
1) turn off IS when shooting on a tripod.
2) the switch on the lens, controls the whole system, both lens and body.

Canon used to tout tripod-sensing image stabilization on their high-end lenses. The EF 600/4 II even had a special mode active when you were on a tripod that damped down the mirror/shutter vibrations of the camera.

I have not seen Canon explicitly mention tripod-sensing IS in connection with RF lenses. I found out for myself why when shooting some test charts with new RF lenses – they seem to remain blissfully unaware that the camera is mounted on a tripod, and the image floats around thanks to the movement of the IS elements trying to compensate for a lack of it.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
Thanks Neuro! You are my go-to expert!

I remember when I first got my R6, I shot a waterfall on a tripod with the IS left on. There was this weird uniform blur that affected all parts of the image equally. I went back and shot it again with the IS turned off and it looked a lot better.

I'm off to Utah tomorrow with my R6 mark II and various tripods and monopods. Monument Valley may never be the same!

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I can confirm the R5 with the RF 24-70 2.8 IS does not seem to be capable of detecting that it's on a tripod. I took some star photos with that a few weeks back, and when I left IS on, the star trails had wiggles to them. The wiggles were gone with IS off.

It's kind of a bummer because it feels like a real regression to me to no longer be able to detect that when older lenses could. But maybe the whole IS system is too complicated now to implement that sort of a detection feature.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I agree with ‘on tripod off IS’. Seems to be somewhat random in how different lenses react. I once nearly had a whoopsie at a wedding when shooting the group shots outside the church. For this I always use my big , heavy and imposing Manfrotto 058; it keeps people focused on the photographer and others out of the way ! But the very stable platform caused blurred shots with an EF 35/2 IS when I’d forgotten to turn the IS off. Fortunately I realised after just a couple of shots which I was able to redo, but it had me sweating as to what could have been.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I agree with ‘on tripod off IS’. Seems to be somewhat random in how different lenses react. I once nearly had a whoopsie at a wedding when shooting the group shots outside the church. For this I always use my big , heavy and imposing Manfrotto 058; it keeps people focused on the photographer and others out of the way ! But the very stable platform caused blurred shots with an EF 35/2 IS when I’d forgotten to turn the IS off. Fortunately I realised after just a couple of shots which I was able to redo, but it had me sweating as to what could have been.
A timely reminder for my eclipse photography today, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0