M6 II still takes good pictures

Jul 21, 2010
Oh absolutely, and that's silly. They may or may not, I have no idea. My personal use case is anecdote, not data. And as I said they own half the market, they would have a *lot* of time to course correct if it proved detrimental. My only point is that as a now former customer their decisions about the M mount directly led to my departure, and the blockage of third party lenses reinforced that it was the right move. How many others feel that way I couldn't say, but even if Fuji doubled it's market share purely due to M mount switchers it would be barely a rounding error to Canon.
I have an M6II, an M6, an M2 and all the EF-M lenses (two of the M15-45, actually, but only because it was cheaper than free in the M6II kit with the EVF). I’ll be using the M series for some time to come even absent any new models launching.

Worth noting in this context that last month on BCN (retail sales in Japan), the highest selling M kit was at #6, while the R10 + 18-150 kit was at #3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Canon fully owns half the market. The entire photography market would have to die for Canon to be gone. Basing any argument on that is ridiculous when you are talking about the company nearly twice the size of it's nearest competitor. Furthermore Canon is well diversified, cameras are a minor part of their overall portfolio. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, even if the whole market declined to just 1 million units, they would still sell nearly as many cameras as Fujifilm does every year based on market share. That concern only makes sense for small players like Panasonic or OM Systems.

I also have fully owned a company I founded, and worked for both Microsoft and Amazon, and what I can tell you now is that they do not care about you at all, and their greed is so far beyond you and I's as to be literally unimaginable to regular people. You are a cow they will and do milk. That's not an opinion, I've sat in on the business meetings hundreds of times in my 23 year career in big tech. Canon had revenue of $32 billion in 2021, there is zero reason for any of us to care about their business decisions unless we are MBA's or investors. As customers it's simply irrelevant. Canon is making the decisions they are making not out of any love for their customers or the art of photography, but purely based on determining just how much milk they can extract out of thier cows. Nothing more, nothing less. And unless we make decisions to limit the success of such strategies, they will simply do more.

Stop licking boots. And yeah, this is all true for Fujifilm, Sony, Nikon, etc. And why brand loyalty is for suckers.
So we have established that you are bitter about big corporations after working for MSFT and AMZN. Not surprising as they are both near the top of the the greed spiral. And no, I am not a brand loyalist as I have Nikon, Panny, and Olympus as well, but I am also not one to be bitter about business decisions that have been made for logical reasons, even if I came out on the short end. I would note that you made a decision to dump Canon and go to Fuji while clearly recognizing that Fuji could easily shaft you in the future, so it seems to me that your decision process is no less self-serving than Canon's and that is not to say that either are "bad", but being bitter about one and proud of the other is unrealistic.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I still can’t quite grasp the sense of discontinuing the M line
The M6ii is simply astonishing. The 32/1.4 is sublime
When you able to create and deliver such why on earth would you quit?
They could have taken the M line so much further.
I always dreamt of a M7 with heritage back to the 7D/Dii
Can you imagine if they had redesigned the M5 to create a M7, weather sealed with optional battery grips…..!!!

I mean seriously , this could have taken the market.
I’m saddened that after all these years (30 odd) being a faithful canon user. They basically decided they really didn’t give a shit about long term customers, they wanted us all to move to the R.
That’s where my loyalty ended.
So sad what might have been.

For the record the R10 looks like a cheap plastic rebel.

Sorry to say, but this time canons arrogance took it too far.

I will keep my M stuff and cherish it and think what might have been.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]
The 32mm and M6II specifically gave me hope that Canon went after the 'enthusiast' section of the EOS-M market. I'm fortunate enough to already have an R camera, but I don't know what camera can replace my M6II if it breaks. My original M still works, so I could use that for slower travel pics.

The competition either doesn't have small bodies or lacks modern AF. And in most cases, lacks both. Fuji and OM come close, but at a 2-3x price increase.

I guess that's the issue: only Canon makes ILCs for the low end of the market, everyone else seems to be at least one price bracket above Canon.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
So we have established that you are bitter about big corporations after working for MSFT and AMZN. Not surprising as they are both near the top of the the greed spiral. And no, I am not a brand loyalist as I have Nikon, Panny, and Olympus as well, but I am also not one to be bitter about business decisions that have been made for logical reasons, even if I came out on the short end. I would note that you made a decision to dump Canon and go to Fuji while clearly recognizing that Fuji could easily shaft you in the future, so it seems to me that your decision process is no less self-serving than Canon's and that is not to say that either are "bad", but being bitter about one and proud of the other is unrealistic.
Again, the non-rich customer making a decision that is better and more realistic for their goals, both in terms of photography in this case and financially is not doing anything wrong, morally questionable or selfish by making brand decisions around those things. Our resources are considerably more finite than those of the companies we are purchasing from, and it's silly to try and invent some moral equivalence to the two actions.

Also, I am in no way bitter about my career. I did well compared to most, but also my work made enormous sums of money for people who put in zero effort towards it. One project alone that I led earns the company $600m/year in pure profit after all expenses and I was in the room listening to how they knew users wouldn't actually use it but would forget to stop paying and as a result get free money indefinitely. I still work for a big company in tech, although not a tech company. I've been working on a networking issue in a room while a manager is on a conference call discussing the corporate plan to shut down a profitable location simply because employees at another location advocated for hazard pay during the pandemic. They literally said that while they could afford it, employees needed to be more afraid for their livelihoods and they felt this sacrifice would help instill such fear.

You call it bitterness to talk about reality. This is reality. Canon does not care about you, or me. Nor does any other camera brand. They do not care about their employees. They do not care about photography regardless of the public platitudes. They only care about how much money they can extract from as many people as possible. That's it. That is greed and selfishness in it's purest form.

Nothing we do is comparable or at similar scale. I'm just trying to take photos, man. While not poor, my resources aren't infinite either. Whoever at any given time gives me the most for my money is going to be who I buy from because it's not a sports team, it's just another soulless corporation.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Can you imagine if they had redesigned the M5 to create a M7, weather sealed with optional battery grips…..!!!

I’m saddened that after all these years (30 odd) being a faithful canon user. They basically decided they really didn’t give a shit about long term customers, they wanted us all to move to the R.

The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 was my benchmark for a 50 mil equivalent crop sensor lens. When I moved to Fuji I was terribly disappointed by the 35mm f/1.4 and its supposed 'character'. Slow, low contrast and without a lot of detail I did not and still do not get the appeal. I'd rather use a vintage lens and get some actual character. But I have to say the new XF33mmF1.4 is the first 50 mil equivalent that I feel surpasses the EF-M 32mm. But it's nearly twice as expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Again, the non-rich customer making a decision that is better and more realistic for their goals, both in terms of photography in this case and financially is not doing anything wrong, morally questionable or selfish by making brand decisions around those things. Our resources are considerably more finite than those of the companies we are purchasing from, and it's silly to try and invent some moral equivalence to the two actions.

Also, I am in no way bitter about my career. I did well compared to most, but also my work made enormous sums of money for people who put in zero effort towards it. One project alone that I led earns the company $600m/year in pure profit after all expenses and I was in the room listening to how they knew users wouldn't actually use it but would forget to stop paying and as a result get free money indefinitely. I still work for a big company in tech, although not a tech company. I've been working on a networking issue in a room while a manager is on a conference call discussing the corporate plan to shut down a profitable location simply because employees at another location advocated for hazard pay during the pandemic. They literally said that while they could afford it, employees needed to be more afraid for their livelihoods and they felt this sacrifice would help instill such fear.

You call it bitterness to talk about reality. This is reality. Canon does not care about you, or me. Nor does any other camera brand. They do not care about their employees. They do not care about photography regardless of the public platitudes. They only care about how much money they can extract from as many people as possible. That's it. That is greed and selfishness in it's purest form.

Nothing we do is comparable or at similar scale. I'm just trying to take photos, man. While not poor, my resources aren't infinite either. Whoever at any given time gives me the most for my money is going to be who I buy from because it's not a sports team, it's just another soulless corporation.
You observed bad behavior in a couple of companies that you worked for and peripherially a few others and have now made a judgement that all large companies behave exactly the same way. I suspect you know exactly nothing about how Canon or, for that matter, any other camera company operatesl and makes decisions. The source of your displeasure starts with the Ivy League colleges that preach the kind of greedy impersonal behaviour that you abhor to all their MBA students and so, yes, that behavior is widespread, but it does not infect every company in every indusrty. I cannot speak to how Canon makes decisions other than that I have a friend who worked for them for many years and they took very good care of him all the way to retirement.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
You observed bad behavior in a couple of companies that you worked for and peripherially a few others and have now made a judgement that all large companies behave exactly the same way. I suspect you know exactly nothing about how Canon or, for that matter, any other camera company operatesl and makes decisions. The source of your displeasure starts with the Ivy League colleges that preach the kind of greedy impersonal behaviour that you abhor to all their MBA students and so, yes, that behavior is widespread, but it does not infect every company in every indusrty. I cannot speak to how Canon makes decisions other than that I have a friend who worked for them for many years and they took very good care of him all the way to retirement.
I've literally worked alongside Canon engineers in my role at Microsoft (I worked on the ACPI v1.1 & 2.0 specifications which meant working with every company that made device drivers for Windows). The stories were the same. I doubt they treated their printer/scanner division customers and employees significantly different than their camera division. I'm finding it very weird that you keep imagining capitalism as practiced by corporations since the 70's is any different company to company. Or maybe you just haven't worked for major corps, I don't know. What I do know is that the few companies I ever worked with that seemed to have a different ethos ceased to exist, for instance DEC was a joy to work with, the DEC Alpha was a great platform and getting Windows 2000 working on it was fun. Great corporate culture from all I saw and heard. Of course they were bought out by Compaq, carved up into little chunks and sold off because that's what happens to companies that are not centered around rapacious capitalism and has been for about fifty years now. Literally every company I've ever interacted with in my career that had a positive corporate culture in terms of employees and community has either had management shakeup that 'fixed' that 'problem' or was bought out by a competitor or venture capitalist and stripped for parts. Every. Single. One.

Do some still exist? Maybe! But it won't be forever and it's likely nobody any of us know (more likely in a family owned private corporation than anyone publicly traded). They are the exception, not the rule, and the moment they have a bad quarter, especially if they are a public company, it's game over.

Regardless, I'm glad your friend had a good experience. I don't know when he worked for them, but in the late 90's/early 00's they did not have a great corporate culture, which is when I interacted with them.

Of course all of this has zero to do with the fact that they are making user unfriendly decisions now and people like you are rationalizing it for business reasons while trying to also make the claim that they aren't simply rapacious capitalists despite the fact that they are clearly making decisions not in their customers best interests. Which you make excuses for and for me makes perfect sense, having spent my career in the corporate tech space.

Again, brand loyalty is for suckers. I like Canon. I like them in the sense that they make decent cameras, printers and scanners and I've owned all of those things from them. I'm just not under any illusions that they give a damn about me beyond what I can spend on their products, nor do I have any sense of loyalty to them or any corporation. Because there is zero good reason for a person to have loyalty to any entity that is not loyal to them.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon

Actually, the 7D II was a BIG camera and that was one of its strong points because it could handily swiing big lenses. I, too, once wished for an M5 replacement with a feature set similar to an R7, but in retrospect, what is the point of slapping a battery grip on a tiny camera to give it enough power and grip to handle obsolete long lenses or long M lenses (dream on) that wouldn't be significantly smaller than FF lenses. I did buy an R7 and it has a very nice balance between size and function. It has a big battery, and enough grip to handle long lenses. The M line was initially created at a time when mirrorless was in its infancy and was mostly trying to be a step up from P&S cameras, so the small size and small mount made sense. Over time, mirrorless evolved to be mainstream and more advanced features and and a more FF friendly mount were needed, hence the R line. It is worthy of note that the M mount is slighly larger than the Sony E-mount (also from the early days of APS-c mirrorless) and frankly the Sony bodies are more befitting of an APS-c camera than a FF camera so going forward they will be at a disadvantage for the high end, but for those wanting a small camera that occasionally uses big lenses, it works. Canon clearly needed a replacement for the 7D II and there is no question that it needed to support the new generation of lenses. Very few would have been happy to see replication of the R lenes in M with two incompatible lines. One can say Canon made a bad call when they conjured up the M line in the first place, but that is rethinking a nearly 15 year old decision. When Canon made the move to make the R forward looking, the end of M was written on the wall. Sony made the decision to keep their old design and only time will tell which was the better decison. If the FD to EF transition (which was even more painful) is any guide, Canon made the better long-term choice.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
I’ve come to realise just how much I do love the M system, specifically the M6ii and 32/1.4.
Hence I’ve just bought a “ spare” 32 and will be picking up a “spare” M6ii in the next month. I already have a pair of 22/2.
That along with my line up of M lenses and other M bodies should see me through.

Happy days

Tho I really wish they’d made a M7. Combining the M5 ergonomics, M50 EVF & screen and M6ii sensor and AF. That would have been sensational.

Still I mustn’t grumble. I’m grateful to have what I own.
Thank you canon.

I do still have my 7d & 7dii along with 6d & 6dii
Plus a trio of 5d3’s and a 1div
Also a plethora of aps-c DSLR’s
That lot combined with almost 100 canon lenses along with my M system pretty much means there’s never a dull moment in this house.
Hence why the R has zero appeal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That lot combined with almost 100 canon lenses along with my M system pretty much means there’s never a dull moment in this house.
Hence why the R has zero appeal.
My DSLRs are all gone. I love my M kit, but there are features of the R series that DSLRs can't match. A couple of weeks ago I was shooting pictures at a school concert with my R3, and video with my Vixia HF G60. The switch to completely silent shooting with a MILC (a single lever push on my R3) is great in a quiet auditorium. Then another parent came up and shot nest to me with her 5DIII. While not the machine gun rattle I had on my 1D X, it was plenty loud and audible on the video recording even with the directional mic mounted on the video camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
The reason I kept my DSLR’s is because of the difference in colour rendition from their various sensors. My oldest is the 400D and my newest the 6dii.
My 5dc and 40d images are so similar and share a certain signature from that era, likewise the 1div 16mp H sensor paired with the sigma EX 30mm 1.4 gives absolutely gorgeous files that I just cannot replicate with other kit and so on and so on. Those early canon sensors with their unique canon colour science are simply divine. Whereas the files I see from the RP really do look digital. I saw a comparison shot between the 5d2 and RP the 5d2 was stunning capturing the subtle nuances of light and colour, utterly immersive whereas the RP looked like a phone pic, nothing more than a clinically sharp recording……soulless.

This is why I’m staying put.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
The M's (M1. M2 & M50)has been serving me very well. I feel bad about its demis. M50 is my main camera now. If i need to travel small, there is alway the M2. If that is not small enough, there are always the SD880 and iPhone.
Since my travelling is almost none-exist, due to pandemic, and no more chasing kids, plus the declining of eysight, therfore I have no incentive to move to R. Just hope the lenses and the M bodies will last me for awhile.

Upvote 0
Canon has been saying the same thing for years. It just means that keep selling it, not that the system is getting actual development attention.
As a canon M system user (all the lenses and several body’s) I recently bought a used RP with 50/1.8 & 16/2.8 plus a couple of canon EF adapters. Yes I do like it a lot, but it can’t possibly compete with my M stuff when we do family days out
My M50 ( or M5/M6ii) with 22 is my go to.
Maybe if canon released a RF pancake that would change my preferences, until that day arrives (if ever) I’ll continue with the current set up. Luckily I had the sense to purchase duplicates my most used M lenses as back up.

Long Live the M !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
from the RP really do look digital. I saw a comparison shot between the 5d2 and RP the 5d2 was stunning capturing the subtle nuances of light and colour, utterly immersive whereas the RP looked like a phone pic, nothing more than a clinically sharp recording……soulless.
Interesting. That’s the opposite to what I’ve found between 5DII & RP, where I’ve seen what I think is superior colour fidelity on the latter.
But I haven’t compared them side by side as I don’t have a 5DII anymore.
I’m in partial agreement with you on the earlier Canons. 12 bit ?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...]My M50 ( or M5/M6ii) with 22 is my go to.
Maybe if canon released a RF pancake that would change my preferences, until that day arrives (if ever) I’ll continue with the current set up. [...]
I leaning toward the R8 to replace my M6II. If at some point in time Canon has RF mount lenses equivalents for the 11-22, 22 and maybe the 32 and an EVF-less body, I'll consider those. But looking at what has been announced so far, no RF crop camera looks interesting to me, not to mention the lack of EF-M like lenses that match the EF-M lenses I use most.
What I really want is an M300, but the likelihood of that happening is miniscule.

Upvote 0
Interesting. That’s the opposite to what I’ve found between 5DII & RP, where I’ve seen what I think is superior colour fidelity on the latter.
But I haven’t compared them side by side as I don’t have a 5DII anymore.
I’m in partial agreement with you on the earlier Canons. 12 bit ?
The only reason I got a RP was to see for myself. I haven’t compared the files to my other full frame DSLR’s (5diii,6d, 6dii)
I was more interested in the EVF with real time exposure and eye AF. Both have satisfied my curiosity. I doubt I’ll buy more, I don’t take enough pictures to justify the outlay.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I leaning toward the R8 to replace my M6II. If at some point in time Canon has RF mount lenses equivalents for the 11-22, 22 and maybe the 32 and an EVF-less body, I'll consider those. But looking at what has been announced so far, no RF crop camera looks interesting to me, not to mention the lack of EF-M like lenses that match the EF-M lenses I use most.
I wouldn't consider the R8 as a replacement for the M6II, for me. Mainly that's down to lenses – if I have the benefit of a FF sensor, I want the benefit of better lenses to go with it. The size of those lenses precludes portability. Yes, and R8 with the RF 24-50 is a relatively small/light package. But the R8 with the RF 24-105/4L is not. OTOH, if I'm compromising on the sensor for portability I'm ok compromising on lenses as well...thus the utility of the M6II kit for me.

What I'm considering is the R8 as a travel replacement for the R3. Both have a 24 MP FF sensor, and for travel use I don't the speed performance or long-duration handholding comfort of the R3. The R8 is less than half the weight and much smaller:

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 10.48.52 AM.png

The fact that the R8 uses the LP-E17 is a benefit if I also bring the M6II on a trip. Even if I don't bring the M6II, I already have several spare batteries for the R8.

Only thing I'd need is a good L-bracket for the R8, which would be the same as the one for the RP. Unfortunately, RRS discontinued theirs and it's no longer available anywhere. Same for most of the other good quality ones. I ran across one from SmallRig, also discontinued by the manufacturer but a local shop with an online store still had one in stock, so I ordered that. I haven't used their products before, but they have a good reputation. If it's not a good fit, I can always hope that RRS un-mothballs the RP plate before my trip.

Like you, I don't find the APS-C R lineup interesting, though an ultrawide zoom would change that viewpoint. The RF-S 18-150 is optically the same as the M18-150, which is a great little lens. I think an RF-S 10/11-22, RF-S 18-150, and the RF 100-400 would be a great crop kit for versatility and range.

Upvote 0