My Canon PowerShot V10 shipped!

some first impressions... this thing boots up so fast. practically instantly. Also, to turn it on and off, it's just a quick tap. No long press of anything. It's very tactile in that every button has a shape and impression so you can use it blindly. You can get into recording much more quickly (tap a button) than a smartphone (load camera app, hit record). I know on my phone, I can instantly take a photo without loading an app but not so for a video.

You don't have to worry about how you hold the device or worry about accidentally stopping a recording like with a smartphone, especially a big screen smartphone that has the display go edge to edge with no bezel. As you record, there's a blinking red box outline around the screen so you're not just depending on a Rec symbol.

So a scenario that came up today... Now I'm not advocating this behavior but just listing it as an example of how quickly you can get to recording. There was a car accident on the freeway. Now with a smartphone, you have to load the camera app and hit the record button, both of which requires that you look at the phone. Both of which takes time where you can miss a big chunk. On the V10, you can instantly get into recording without looking. tap the power, tap the record and just aim. Even if you don't aim the camera correctly, because it's such a wide angle, you'll get the shot.

It's heavier than a phone. But it's more compact and easier to hold. There is a place where you can loop the camera strap to but it's at the bottom of the camera which is dumb because it means you have to pull the strap out of the way if you're using the kickstand. They should have put the loop near the top.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
some first impressions... this thing boots up so fast. practically instantly. Also, to turn it on and off, it's just a quick tap. No long press of anything. It's very tactile in that every button has a shape and impression so you can use it blindly. You can get into recording much more quickly (tap a button) than a smartphone (load camera app, hit record). I know on my phone, I can instantly take a photo without loading an app but not so for a video.

You don't have to worry about how you hold the device or worry about accidentally stopping a recording like with a smartphone, especially a big screen smartphone that has the display go edge to edge with no bezel. As you record, there's a blinking red box outline around the screen so you're not just depending on a Rec symbol.

So a scenario that came up today... Now I'm not advocating this behavior but just listing it as an example of how quickly you can get to recording. There was a car accident on the freeway. Now with a smartphone, you have to load the camera app and hit the record button, both of which requires that you look at the phone. Both of which takes time where you can miss a big chunk. On the V10, you can instantly get into recording without looking. tap the power, tap the record and just aim. Even if you don't aim the camera correctly, because it's such a wide angle, you'll get the shot.

It's heavier than a phone. But it's more compact and easier to hold. There is a place where you can loop the camera strap to but it's at the bottom of the camera which is dumb because it means you have to pull the strap out of the way if you're using the kickstand. They should have put the loop near the top.
Was going to pull the trigger because I'm tired of using pulling out my expensive smartphone on the street when traveling. But then notice Canon may release an higher level version V100 later. Do you think it wise to wait or go ahead and get ahead of the learning curve with the V10?

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2019
USA
Was going to pull the trigger because I'm tired of using pulling out my expensive smartphone on the street when traveling. But then notice Canon may release an higher level version V100 later. Do you think it wise to wait or go ahead and get ahead of the learning curve with the V10?

that's tough. knowing nothing about the V100, I'm assuming the V100 will be more like a traditional camera so if that's what you want, then I would wait. But if you want a camera you can be totally spontaneous with, the V10 is very cool.

The funny thing is I notice I record much shorter clips with the V10 than I would normally record. Sometimes, I feel like I recorded for maybe 30 seconds, but then I review the footage and it's like half the time. Maybe it's because the camera has that spontaneous vibe? IDK

Upvote 0
I made this video and over 1/3 of the footage came from the V10! Maybe around 40%. The rest was from my R5 with the 16 2.8 or 24 mm 1.8. I was quite surprised how the camera performed even in very low light. Like at the restaurant, that place was pitch dark. While a couple shots were obviously from the V10, there was quite a few segments that you would be hardpressed to distinguish from the R5.

Upvote 0