Set R5 to bracket exposures using ISO instead of shutter speed.

Nov 12, 2016
Hello, I can't seem to figure out how to set up the R5 to do auto exposure bracketing but in a way that it adjusts the ISO for each bracketed shot instead of adjusting the shutter speed. I want to lock down shutter speed and aperture to certain settings, and have the camera vary the ISO when using auto exposure bracketing. This post seems to allude that it's possible, but I cannot figure out how. Is it possible? Thanks.

Jul 21, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something, can you not just use M mode with shutter and aperture values selected and ISO set to Auto? Or Fv mode with shutter and aperture values selected, which should amount to the same thing.

Or perhaps you're running into problems at the extreme of the bracketing range? For example, when shooting the eclipse yesterday, I wanted only the shutter speed to vary (low, fixed ISO and the same aperture). I set the R3 for a 7-shot AE bracket covering a 12-stop range, and most of the time only shutter speed changed but I noticed that just before and after the totality there was >1 shot in the bracket with a 30 s exposure (actually, I powered the camera off and on to interrupt the sequence so I could start over for the totality with the solar filter off). I haven't checked the EXIF, but I assume it would have first bumped the ISO down to 100, then stopped down the aperture if another bracket was needed.

Logically, if you're at the extreme of the range, e.g. ISO 100 and the camera needs to expose more negative to meet the bracket conditions, the camera is going to have to vary something other than ISO.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hello, I can't seem to figure out how to set up the R5 to do auto exposure bracketing but in a way that it adjusts the ISO for each bracketed shot instead of adjusting the shutter speed. […]
Which ISO ranges are you planning to use? The R5 is ISO invariant in most of its ISO range, so changing exposure in post has the same effect as changing ISO during capture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Which ISO ranges are you planning to use? The R5 is ISO invariant in most of its ISO range, so changing exposure in post has the same effect as changing ISO during capture.
Very good point! It is isoinvariant from 800-51200 so if you set it to underexpose at iso 800 you have six stops to 51200 from just one exposure without any need for bracketing. And, it wouldn't be too bad even starting at iso 50.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 19.02.29.png

Upvote 0