Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Wow - I just got sent an email that my sighting got sent out on an eBird Rare Sighting alert! I didn't know they had these alerts and have signed up for them.

View attachment 216044
Congratulations! I have seen it in Bulgaria back in the time but it's not really rare there during the migration. England is different story!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
European indeed, and with European spelling of Grey. They are prolific fishermen.
I've never been able to see (an American) one get a fish, but I know they don't starve. I know where four live now and I try to visit at least one of them every week. they will fly off if they feel like someone is in their territory. Unfortunately many Americans are quite loud. ANd it can also be difficult to find a good angle without being too close or wet!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've never been able to see (an American) one get a fish, but I know they don't starve. I know where four live now and I try to visit at least one of them every week. they will fly off if they feel like someone is in their territory. Unfortunately many Americans are quite loud. ANd it can also be difficult to find a good angle without being too close or wet!
Because of Covid, our last trip to the USA was in the new year of 2019, when we had a fantastic time doing a circuit of Florida. I thoroughly recommend it if you want to get into more birding because of the great parks there where the birds are not skittish. Here, taken in Fort Worth and in the Everglades NP, is a cousin of the Heron, an Anhinga, catching fish with its technique of stabbing them. We really must visit again. We are deprived of colourful birds back here. If you have time, you must go.

3Q7A2914-DxO_anhinga+fish_vb.jpg3Q7A4252-DxO_anhinga+fish_warmouth_vVg_crop.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
If Eric is very lucky he could see the Grey Heron on mainland USA (and there it becomes Gray Heron :)) too.
Here is an article how to separate it from the Great Blue Heron: https://frank.itlab.us/TBL/Harvesting/Herons/Birding0202p24-33.pdf
Thank you for mentioning with the link, but I didn't finish reading it yet. These are my favorite birds in my area so seeing their doppelganger would be fantastic. I think the most interesting type is white-necked heron, but why isn't it called polkadot necked heron?

Because of Covid, our last trip to the USA was in the new year of 2019, when we had a fantastic time doing a circuit of Florida. I thoroughly recommend it if you want to get into more birding because of the great parks there where the birds are not skittish. Here, taken in Fort Worth and in the Everglades NP, is a cousin of the Heron, an Anhinga, catching fish with its technique of stabbing them. We really must visit again. We are deprived of colourful birds back here. If you have time, you must go.

View attachment 216073View attachment 216074
I will probably visit Florida in October. Last year, I met a wonderful young couple from Ohio and an older couple from Belarus who stayed at the same little motel near Deerfield (which isn't far from Fort Worth). They had both stayed at the same motel last year and were enthusiastic about the idea of all of us meeting there at the same time next year. This year the young couple are planning to get married, so it would be nice to congratulate them, don't you think?
I visited Everglades, but my sister likes to go near sunset, so I didn't have enough time, but I think next time for at least one day, I will go in the morning and stay all day.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0