Show your Bird Portraits

Aug 10, 2021
A Sandhill Crane in a cow pasture near Celery Fields, Sarasota, FL.

Others here may know better than I would, but this crane had more rusty plumage than I typically see and was slightly smaller, but had the typical coloration on their head. Looking up juveniles, the rusty plumage is typical of a juvenile but juveniles also do not have the typical coloration on their head. So, a "teenager" Sandhill Crane?

View attachment 216572View attachment 216573View attachment 216574
The second photo's pose is fantastic!

Reactions: docsmith
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
While I've been away from here for a little while, I have been out shooting constantly. It's warbler season in Wisconsin! Last week, we had numerous rare birds come through and one vagrant. The vagrant was a Varied Bunting, a 1st state record and only 3rd time ever seen outside the SW part of the US. That was a pretty epic day and just over a year after we Had the Flame-colored Tanager. 7D mkll / EF 600 ll / 1.4x lll

Jeremy

View attachment 216577View attachment 216578View attachment 216579View attachment 216580View attachment 216581
These are great and the next series with the Summer Tanager too!

• Love
Reactions: jmeyer
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
Canon Rumors Premium
Oct 30, 2016
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Robin with insect (R5/800mm). Bird is very scraggy, probably worn out feeding chicks.

View attachment 216683
What was the wind speed that day? The Robin may have some worn feathers on the belly (I'm not sure: could be also the wind) but overall it looks like a regular Robin with insect :)! It looks like it has some doubts about the expiration date of the insect but I'm pretty sure the chicks will take it without doubts! Nice catch for both the Robin and the photographer!

Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Hi EricN! Yes, early morning dose of glucosamine.
Are you sure they are able to hydrolyze the chitin (I suspect they can!)? Personally I have a problem after to much "cocktail shrimp" (but I love it :giggle:) or any other shrimp with some parts of the exoskeleton that I use to ignore (I mean I just chew it) and it's because of the chitin...

Upvote 0

ISv

Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 30, 2017
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Thanks! Something new to learn in English: "If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then the person who is observing gets to decide what is beautiful". The idea exist for sure in every language but now I know how to say it in English :)!
And now imagine all that "beauty contests" - it's a good business and what more?! With the photo contests it's better but still... sometimes...

Reactions: EricN
Upvote 0