TAMRON announces development of first CANON RF mount lens

Rip for L mount :sneaky:
L-mount has a lot of advantages outside of the available selection of lenses. I am invested in both the RF and L mounts and am very happy to be.

If you shoot video, the L-mount is unquestionably superior. Better tools for monitoring, open gate recording, smaller, lighter and cheaper cameras, lenses and recording media options, almost non-existent focus breathing in native glass, smaller file sizes that are much more efficient for editing, no recording limits, full size HDMI ports, ProRes and Blackmagic Raw recording to SSD, and a lot more make the L-mount more desirable for video shooters. Not to mention all of that is "as of now", meaning before the release of Panny's S1 mark two, which will certainly fill in some feature gaps of the S5ii/X like full-frame high frame rate 4k recording.

Canon and the RF-mount, on the other hand, are unquestionably superior for photography. The lenses are best-in-market, although bulky and cumbersome, and the high-end cameras are faster and higher megapixel for the most part. The cameras also shoot high quality, high frame rate videos, albeit at the cost of valuable recording media space and overheating.

If you are primarily a video shooter, L-mount is the better option. If you are primarily a photographer, RF is the better option. If you do both, like me, then a combination of the two makes for a complete feature set that covers all gaps in either of their capabilities.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
That's a good point, but will they continue to update the lens firmware for RF bodies released in say 10 years from now?
Keep in mind that licensed RF lens is very different than reverse engineered EF lens. Canon gets their cut in licensing fees and will continue to support licensed products as long as the fees continue to be paid. Reverse engineered is more of a company hacking the electronic codes and building a lens around that in which Canon does not get a cut. The only reason some EF lenses didn't work after new firmware or new camera is because Canon plugged a hole or changed a signal, requiring more reverse engineering and firmware updates by the lens manufacturer to get it to work again.

So in theory at least, licensed lenses should work flawlessly even after 10 years of progression.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Nice; but now give me that 35-150 fast, which is the jewel in Tamron's crown
I'm planning to preorder for a Tamron RF 35-150/2-2,8 as soon as it's possible. The R5 gives me enough pixels to crop from 150mm to not really need 200mm and wider than 70mm would really make a difference for rinkside photos of floorball games.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm planning to preorder for a Tamron RF 35-150/2-2,8 as soon as it's possible. The R5 gives me enough pixels to crop from 150mm to not really need 200mm and wider than 70mm would really make a difference for rinkside photos of floorball games.
Yes, you can use it like that. Back when I was using Sony a1, this 35-150 is 35-225/f2~2.8 in real-life use. it saves you from swapping to 70-200/100-400

Upvote 0
I can't wait to ditch the 24-70 and 70-200 altogether for the single 35-150 lens, would be a game changer at weddings to have a single body that covers it all instead of dealing with two; I rarely crop, and 24-105 f4 is both too short at the tele end and too dark, and the new f2.8 is out of the league for the price while still being short. With a R5 I could think of cropping the 105 end, but I have R and R6, and they can't be used same way.

Let's see if and when it comes, also because at launch it will be quite expensive, too; I'll need to wait for a heavy rebate, or better an used copy, that won't probably come on the market before 9/12 months from release. The Sony version is in the ballpark of 1200€ to 1500€ brand new, don't think an RF versions would be less then 1500€ at launch, and my budget for the switch would be closer to 1000€, so I'll need to wait for a while. But will see, I see this happening not before 18 to 24 months, I may have more budget in two years, or I may have done different choices while waiting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
wow, I wonder how this compares to the 10-20 f4...
Well, Tamron makes a pretty good lens. I still have an Tamron EF 45mm f/2.8. The problem is that in bright sunlight the CA is horrible at f/2.8. To me, that makes it less of a lens.

Canon has spoiled and ruined me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0