Teardown: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
LensRentals.com didn’t take long doing a teardown of the brand new Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. It looks like the new body shows some build quality improvements and should provide reliable performance in tough environments.</p>
<p><strong>From LensRentals.com</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>Construction is at least as robust as the recent 5 series releases and better than the Canon 5DIII, which is as it should be. There’s a little more complexity with cables running hither and yon more than in previous Canon cameras, but that isn’t going to affect operations at all. It may make repairs a bit more difficult. And I’m, as I always am, disappointed to see HDMI and USB ports soldered onto the main PCB. They get torn off a fair amount on every camera that’s made this way (which is most cameras that aren’t dedicated for video). On the other hand, the main PCB replacement may not be much more expensive than a sub-board replacement. <a href="https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/09/lensrentals-canon-5d-mk-iv-teardown/">Read the full article</a></p></blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/cameras/canon-5d-mark-iv">Rent the EOS 5D Mark IV at LensRentals.com</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The folks at lens rentals sure do a lot of work they don't have to do for the rest of us so that we can see what goes in to making these products. hats off to them. This is smart business on their part and is above and beyond what could ever be expected from a business of this type. Thank you lens rentals.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

No tiny DIP switch entitled "Unlock spot metering at any AF point".

#sadness

- A

That is Canon protecting most users from themselves. My understanding of many peoples understanding of AF linked spot metering is that it would enable them to take perfectly exposed images without extensive user input on EV compensation, and that simply isn't true. Yet scene averaging, especially when linked to intelligent algorithms with subject position information, is remarkably good at getting subject exposure close enough in even surprisingly tough exposure situations.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
That is Canon protecting most users from themselves. My understanding of many peoples understanding of AF linked spot metering is that it would enable them to take perfectly exposed images without extensive user input on EV compensation, and that simply isn't true. Yet scene averaging, especially when linked to intelligent algorithms with subject position information, is remarkably good at getting subject exposure close enough in even surprisingly tough exposure situations.

And as I've said many times before, I'd like more metering options than what non-1D cameras offer. I honestly think I'll net more keepers in tough/changing lighting scenes when I only get one chance to nail it.

You very well may be right that it won't do me that much good. (I should just rent a 1DX and see how it fares in the manner in which I shoot.) But this remains one of the great instances of feature nerfing by Canon. As stated many times before, spot metering at any AF point is an entry-level Nikon SLR feature.

But my silly joke has taken us OT. Apologies. Back to the teardown!

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2015
ahsanford said:
privatebydesign said:

And as I've said many times before, I'd like more metering options than what non-1D cameras offer. I honestly think I'll net more keepers in tough/changing lighting scenes when I only get one chance to nail it.

You very well may be right that it won't do me that much good. (I should just rent a 1DX and see how it fares in the manner in which I shoot.) But this remains one of the great instances of feature nerfing by Canon. As stated many times before, spot metering at any AF point is an entry-level Nikon SLR feature.

But my silly joke has taken us OT. Apologies. Back to the teardown!

- A

And Nikon leaves AF-ON buttons off of camera price points that Canon includes them on. This isn't a game that only Canon plays to differentiate.

An easier experiment for you would be to just use the spotmeter you have now and try to see how it helps you at the center point, and disregard composition for these experiments. Unless you know how many stops above or below neutral gray what you're pointing it at is , at a glance, it's likely not going to help you much.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

#sadness

- A

Have a lot of respect for your posts normally, private, but that's just silly. Wouldn't canon be "protecting" the user a lot more if they just provided a green box mode? It's a high end tool, and everyone knows that one needs to learn to use a camera to get specific results. Besides, this isn't a rebel or an SL1 for goodness sake.. If you know how to turn on af-linked spit metering and know what it means will know how to do ev compensatiom

Upvote 0

zim

Canon Rumors Premium
Oct 18, 2011
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

#sadness

- A

Have a lot of respect for your posts normally, private, but that's just silly. Wouldn't canon be "protecting" the user a lot more if they just provided a green box mode? It's a high end tool, and everyone knows that one needs to learn to use a camera to get specific results. Besides, this isn't a rebel or an SL1 for goodness sake.. If you know how to turn on af-linked spit metering and know what it means will know how to do ev compensatiom

He was just having a wee joke, chill! 'DIP switch' ;D

Upvote 0
zim said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

#sadness

- A

Oops yea... Thanks! Sorry Private- I'm too used to the normal attitude around here ;). Foot squarely in mouth.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
zim said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

#sadness

- A

I don't read it as joking.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
3kramd5 said:
zim said:
IglooEater said:
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
It's not there.

#sadness

- A

I don't read it as joking.

When I read hear how so many people think spot metering is a panacea to correct exposure I can see that private is only half joking. The reason we used to use spot meters was specifically not to take just one spot reading ! The sensors response to exposure (and films) is based on incident light, that is the light falling on the subject, not what's being reflected from it. Of course a camera cannot measure incident light ( or at least it can't as well as setting exposure at the same time), it has to work from reflected light. So the colour and tone of the subject is going to have a big influence on the meter reading, and where it falls on the response of the sensor (or film). So by using a spot meter on what you are focusing on it would be very easy to totally screw up where everything else sits on the sensor response, unnecessarily losing highlights or blocking out shadows. So whereas it would be guaranteed to correct the exposure of what you were focusing on, the rest could very well go the way of the dodo. Jpegs could be even more of a disaster. So to get it right you'd often as not have to set appropriate EC, as private says. In other words, only use it if you really understand the exposure implications, and it's clear from the comments on CR that many are not.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
As usual Sporgon gets me, maybe it is because we are both Brits!

Yes I was half joking, and as tr573 says not only do Nikon miss off specs Canon users take for granted it is easy to test how limited AF linked spot metering is by just ignoring your framing and practicing with the center AF point. I would take AF-On over AF linked spot metering any day.

But I was also having a gentle dig as ahsford who I have discussed AF linked spot metering with before. His idea for his use is in fast changing light situation "If I had spot metering at any AF point, it would be: move AF point to subject --> press shutter. That's easy peasy."* is so far off the mark as to how to get good exposures with the feature I like to rib him gently on some of the many occasions he brings the subject up.

My illustrative post is here http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg613257#msg613257

* http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg613633#msg613633

Upvote 0