The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

I’m just slightly concerned that Tamron also announced development specifically for APS-C as well. Perhaps that’s stated in the agreement with Canon
Good theory. Maybe Canon is limiting 3rd party lens development to only APS-C and gatekeeping FF for themselves.

As an APS-C enthusiast, I am keen to see competition in the lens space, but am hopeful that Sigma & Tamron can develop for FF too. I'm quite shocked Sigma is bringing 6 new lenses to market in less than 6 months. Quite impressive even if the lenses are existing designs.

Personally keen on the 30mm and 10-18mm from Sigma. The 18-50mm is a great addition too, but I'm hoping Canon makes what rumor has it as the 15-60mm f/2.8. My aging 17-55mm is still kicking but sorely needs a modern RF refresh.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
It's like being in a candy store.

One of these, please... And that one... And should I take one of those too?...

At least one of my adapted EF-S lenses are now going to be replaced in my "standard walk-around kit". And more lenses will be added to "optionals" when packing.

It's "funny" that even the least interesting Sigma lens announced today, are more interesting than any of the RF-S lenses Canon has released themselves so far!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
First, Canon is going to have a 50mm f/1.4 and now this? Are you sure this isn't a joke?
Maybe Canon is in the hurry to provide something to set against the competition. A low breathing 1.4/50 - hopefully mainly by optical design - is such a thing.
Maybe (again) this is the consequence of negotiations between Canon and other lans manufacturers: We make the higher priced stuff with additional features - you make stuff with standard features. Makes sense if there is a market for both classes of lenses and Canon might increase market share for cameras and mabe profit with cameras and their presumably more expensive lenses.

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon is limiting 3rd party lens development to only APS-C and gatekeeping FF for themselves.
It's plausible but it may just as well be that there's a bigger gap in the APS-C RF lineup for them to exploit. Or maybe as the market for crop bodies has historically been much bigger than full frame, that's where the volume is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
SIGMA has announces which lenses will be coming to the RF mount in 2024 and the first one will hit the market in July of this year. The cavaet? Just like the initial launch of Z mount lenses for Nikon, they first round of lenses for the RF mount from SIGMA will be for APS-C.

See full article...

Meh. I guess this is nice. who'd want third party lenses for Canon cameras anyways? ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0
Assuming that this will pave the way for the release of Sigma‘s mirrorless full frame lenses in RF, it‘s great news! What I‘m missing from the Canon RF lineup are astro primes, and Sigma offers a wealth of them ( some examples are the 14mm 1.4, 20mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4).

It wouldn't surprise me that that's part of the agreement with Sigma and Tamron - stay away from full frame. Canon was vague on the approval process, and did mention it would be for only select products. I find it interesting that even though both of them have products that Canon doesn't compete with on full frame, both of them release APS-C lenses.

That being said this is awesome news in general that Canon is moving forward.

I'd like to think My Opinionated Whining™ (that has its own section on the website now - thanks CR!) had something to do with it, but I know, deep down in my soul, that Canon doesn't love me that much.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just found it funny people demanded 3rd party lenses, Canon delivered, and they just moved the goalposts and kept complaining.

There has been no moving of goalposts as I'm quite sure that the main complaint about RF and Z is the lack of 3rd party FF lenses. Not APSC ones.

I know that I won't even look at RF until there are Sigma FF lenses available because I don't want to spend $2k for L glass nor do I want the mediocre, plastic-y and non WR F1.8 lenses.

• Love
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There has been no moving of goalposts as I'm quite sure that the main complaint about RF and Z is the lack of 3rd party FF lenses. Not APSC ones.

I know that I won't even look at RF until there are Sigma FF lenses available because I don't want to spend $2k for L glass nor do I want the mediocre, plastic-y and non WR F1.8 lenses.
Speaking of moving goalposts: there are a lot of 3rd party RF FF lenses already. They are all manual focus, though, but that wasn’t specified in the original complaint :)

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
It's good that Canon is finally letting the third parties do what Canon isn't interested in but the third parties do well, which is fast APS-C lenses.

As an APS-C user, I'd be interested in the 23 or 30 if they were more pancake-like. The 18-50/2.8 has me interested, although I've been hoping for an RF version of the 17-70 f/2.8-4 (but I suspect that ship has long since sailed).

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I imagine this will also be a learning experience for SIGMA, Tamron and Canon, and it's better to use the R50 shooter for working out kinks than the R3 shooter. Full-frame will come one day, but I don't imagine we'll see anything of the sort for at least a year.

The person that told me that this was coming in March did say there was nothing about full-frame lenses in their training/product knowledge sessions. It's a month late, but I won't be too hard on the person.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Speaking of moving goalposts: there are a lot of 3rd party RF FF lenses already. They are all manual focus, though, but that wasn’t specified in the original complaint :)
It doesn't have to be, it's implied that most people want 3rd party AF lenses as manual is a niche. People who are a bit too attached to brand X love being deliberately obtuse though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I imagine this will also be a learning experience for SIGMA, Tamron and Canon, and it's better to use the R50 shooter for working out kinks than the R3 shooter. Full-frame will come one day, but I don't imagine we'll see anything of the sort for at least a year.

The person that told me that this was coming in March did say there was nothing about full-frame lenses in their training/product knowledge sessions. It's a month late, but I won't be too hard on the person.

I wonder if they will have a special logo, etc to say this was canon licensed or something?

Upvote 0