The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
30mm isn't 35mm and 50mm isn't 56mm, but I get your point, it is close. I suspect (or, more accurately, hope) there will be a substantial price difference :).

The 16/1.4 is the biggest one for me. The 16/1.4 + M50II was great for video. The R50 + 16/1.4 will be even better as the R50 has better features. The UVC/UAC support (though only 1080P) that makes it very convenient to use for streaming (or with your 4K capture card if you wish).
Does the R50 get power over USB in UVC mode? My R8 doesn’t :(

When using a capture card plus USB it will get power, and even charge the battery! But that’s a lot more cabling and hassle.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Not gonna lie, I would like the Sigma 14/1.4 and 15/1.4 Fisheye on my R5 (or the Canon equivalent, I don't really care who makes it).
I like to have the Voigtländer 50mm 1.0 and the Voigtländer 40mm 1.2 on my R5. I don't really care thinking about other lenses.

The 40 is very talented to never leave the bayonet....
What a joy to use!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
Why do we need a Sigma 24/1.4 when there's a Canon 24/1.4 coming? Why a Sigma 30/1.4 when there's a Canon 35/1.4? Why a Sigma 56/1.4 when there's a 50/1.4? The lenses I'd have liked to see are the ones COMPLIMENTARY to Canon (e.g., 28/1.4) not those that are kind of me-toos.
Not everyone can afford L glass plus the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art DG DN is an excellent lens that has an optical design that caters to the needs of astro photographers. Sigma have tons of options that Canon don’t currently make/may not ever make including a 14mm f1.4, 20mm f1.4, 65mm f2 and the recent 500mm prime.

As others have stated here many times Canon will decide what 3rd parties can or cannot release on the platform. These APSC lenses pose no threat to Canon and in fact may lead to an increase in body sales.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Looking at https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-12-24mm-f-5-6-zoom/ I have:
  • 3rd party: CHECK
  • Full-frame: CHECK
  • ZOOM: CHECK
  • RF mount: CHECK
That should satisfy them, right?
You can never satisfy the keyboard warriors. Their desire is greater than the black hole.
I do find the prospect of having both the EF-M 56mm f/1.4 and the RF(-S) 56mm f/1.4 a bit extra ;)
Sigma allows mount conversion.
If Canon doesn't limit 15fps, what do they think?
:ROFLMAO:

We just wait or some website can interview Sigma to ask what kinds of limit for R mount

If sigma lens can fully support Canon C70, it is good for super 35mm also
EF and 3rd party RF(Viltrox 85, Samyang 14/2.8&85/1.4, Yongnuo 35&85) can utilise 30fps on R3.
Why do we need a Sigma 24/1.4 when there's a Canon 24/1.4 coming? Why a Sigma 30/1.4 when there's a Canon 35/1.4? Why a Sigma 56/1.4 when there's a 50/1.4? The lenses I'd have liked to see are the ones COMPLIMENTARY to Canon (e.g., 28/1.4) not those that are kind of me-toos.
Coverage of the price range, just like how e mount does.
Not everyone can afford L glass plus the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art DG DN is an excellent lens that has an optical design that caters to the needs of astro photographers. Sigma have tons of options that Canon don’t currently make/may not ever make including a 14mm f1.4, 20mm f1.4, 65mm f2 and the recent 500mm prime.

As others have stated here many times Canon will decide what 3rd parties can or cannot release on the platform. These APSC lenses pose no threat to Canon and in fact may lead to an increase in body sales.
Canon hasn't been motivated in UWA primes since EF era, so leaving them to Sigma is a good move.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
But... but... wait, I was sure Canon would release a RF-S version of their popular EF-M 22mm and 33mm primes, so it seemed logic that they would open their mount but excluding Sigma's 23mm and 30mm to avoid direct competition.

How Canon management dare think that they can run their business better than I would do?
This is really outrageous.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
But... but... wait, I was sure Canon would release a RF-S version of their popular EF-M 22mm and 33mm primes, so it seemed logic that they would open their mount but excluding Sigma's 23mm and 30mm to avoid direct competition.

How Canon management dare think that they can run their business better than I would do?
This is really outrageous.
I think I detect some sarcasm :)

The Sigma 30mm is a full centimeter wider (72mm) than the EF-M one (61mm), but roughly the same length. So that's a good 'replacement' for EF-M people going to RF. The Sigma 23mm however, is a lot longer than the EF-M 22mm, which puts it, for me, in a very different category. If I want something compact like the EF-M 22mm, I'd look at the RF16 and RF28, not at the Sigma 23mm.

Having said all that, the AF on the EF-M Sigma 56mm is actually silent and very smooth, that is not something that can be said for the RF STM primes :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0