Upcoming 2024 Canon RF lens recap

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I know it's not a very popular opinion with photographers, but I for one am ALL FOR "hybrid" lenses. Using the RF 24-105 f/2.8L IS USM Z lens has been nothing short of exemplary for all future Canon lens designs...at least more designs that have similar use characteristics. I would even consider ditching my 50L 1.2 for a 1.4 is it comes with benefits for video shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
If true, my money will remain in my gear fund. No interest in primes in this range, and unless the 70-200/2.8 Z offers something unforeseen over the current RF 70-200/2.8, it’s also of no interest. No interest in RF-S from anyone, my M-series bodies and EF-M lenses remain a great compact system.

Oh well…there’s the R1, and maybe I’ll yield to the temptation of a longer prime (85/1.2 or 135/1.8). Or maybe Canon will pull a lens-rabbit out of the hat.
I am happy to read that Sigma and Tamron have starting making RF AF lenses.
Maybe Sigma will convert their 35 1.2? :ROFLMAO: Unlikely I know...

But I am with you - this list of RF lenses + the rumored R5 II and R1 specs are not something that would make me part with my money.
I will need to see the official specs of everything before deciding of course.
I am still holding on a tiny weeny hope that there will be some surprises... :unsure:
If not, I may decide that an EF 35mm f/1.4L II, second hand, is good enough for me after all.

You should deffo try out the 85 1.2 - it is an amazing lens, it never lets me down. Ever. The 135 1.8 is great as well, but more niche and, to me, it doesn't have the same "magic" as the 85 1.2

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Good news for those with very deep pockets. Not good news for those not willing to spend four digits.
There are enough high IQ alternatives for little money, via adapter.
But why should I ask for a high definition sensor to spoil the result with an inferior lens?
High IQ native RF lenses are not cheap, but optically and mechanically superb.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I am happy to read that Sigma and Tamron have starting making RF AF lenses.
Maybe Sigma will convert their 35 1.2? :ROFLMAO: Unlikely I know...

But I am with you - this list of RF lenses + the rumored R5 II and R1 specs are not something that would make me part with my money.
I will need to see the official specs of everything before deciding of course.
I am still holding on a tiny weeny hope that there will be some surprises... :unsure:
If not, I may decide that an EF 35mm f/1.4L II, second hand, is good enough for me after all.

You should deffo try out the 85 1.2 - it is an amazing lens, it never lets me down. Ever. The 135 1.8 is great as well, but more niche and, to me, it doesn't have the same "magic" as the 85 1.2
I've been using the 35 ii a lot over the last week. My only complaint is it's soft wide open with an extension tube, but that is neither what it was designed for or something that will be a common use case. Otherwise, it's hard to find a negative aside from not being 1.2.

85mm 1.2 has to be the most optically perfect lens I've used. The only negative is a about three pixels of purple fringing in some situations when viewed at 100% on R5 images (dxo can handle it).

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
The original source said €2000 according to @ordinaryfilmmaker, hopefully that includes tax already.
ordinaryfilmmaker really doesn't have a good track record for getting things right, I could mention many times he was incorrect. ex: R6II would have a R3 stacked sensor, that never happened. I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously. He's chasing views

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2019
Hmm…I’m not sure this is the 50mm f/1.4 we’ve been waiting for.

I’d take a 50mm f/1.4 with a 1500€ MSRP, then proceed to buy it on a sale for 1000/1100€.

But a $2000 MSRP would translate into 2300~2500€ here in Europe, and probably 1500~1700€ on sale.

The thing is, we can get a gray market RF 50mm f/1.2 for 1700€, here.
As long as the 1.2 is not as expensive as the 1.4: take the 1.2!

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I've been using the 35 ii a lot over the last week. My only complaint is it's soft wide open with an extension tube, but that is neither what it was designed for or something that will be a common use case. Otherwise, it's hard to find a negative aside from not being 1.2.
Is it sharp wide open with no extension tubes?
I really did not want to buy an EF lens... but reasons :poop:
85mm 1.2 has to be the most optically perfect lens I've used. The only negative is a about three pixels of purple fringing in some situations when viewed at 100% on R5 images (dxo can handle it).
I love it. I simply adore it

Upvote 0