upgrade from t2i to 1dm4 or 1dx??

Ok so I have been all over the world via interweb.... hah..
my first post here...

so lets start here.. you can see my current gear list on POTN...
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=10733015&postcount=2458

my flickr - most anything beer bottle held and rc car based is galaxy note 3 based except for rc car white box background...

anyway...
quick note on me.. I am a hobbyist due to kids. It all started 5 years ago when my oldest got into night hockey. Our P&S took pics that made the kids look like zombies... white eyes and all fuzzy...

anyway I purchased a t2i and took off.. while I have been having fun... funds have made it difficult to upgrade. We did deck hockey and travel soccer.... for general use the 55-250 for soccer and 85mm f1.8 does ok for night street hockey....

I soon lusted for an upgrade and the 70d was it. I expected a bonus of $7k+ ($4400 after taxes) so when it came in recently I told the wife I was going to use 1/2 to buy a 70d and 70-200 2.8 mark i. long story short and none the less.. my bonus paid for a trip to NC outer banks which we do every year.

so I was told by my love of 23 years (married 20 this year)...
that if I want a new camera sell my truck...
truck specs: worked motor/6" lift tubbed 40" ground hawgs/1 tons/ detroit lockers front and back.. the list goes on..

anyway had someone checkout the truck and he is trying to get the $$$$$$$$$$ together...

so I will have $7k in my hands.. when I do I need to spend it all before it gets used for bills...
I have a winch which will be sold separate for $1200 or the kid can give me $8k for truck and winch.. anyway... im babbling...

IF HE DOES NOT BACK OUT IN 3 DAYS!!!!!!

so guy I work with is a 2nd shooter of weddings for a studio and does many jobs. He shoots a 5dm3 and has many lenses. We talk and he said the 1D Mark IV is what I need.

aka Need - Outdoor Night Street Hockey (ball on foot on asphalt) / Travel Soccer U8 and U14 / Indoor MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

so now that you see my needs...
I LUST the 1dx however he (guy at work) says there is no reason to buy a 1dx or d4s unless you are a supremely booked photographer and as a hobbyist it will fall into idiocy.

so my delema... I could keep my t2i and buy glass... I want a body to use in the rain as some games happen that way. Night Hockey is usually in fall from Nov to end of Jan so Snow/Slush/Rainy Slush....

2 other guys at work are bad word users (NIKON) and I tried getting them on my side...

am I really stretching it? I would have the $$$$ if the kid buys the truck.... to get a 1dx... is it really needed?
or should I just sit back with the 1D Mark IV?

I am looking for people that had the 1dm4 went to 1dx and love it or went back....

I have seen every possible thread on the web... specs on paper are not real world...

side note I do want to go to a side paid event where I have a hookup with the local hockey league to do action shots and setup a studio.

so here is the biggest part..
if kid buys truck I have 2 choices... u tell me what would U do ... not what is ethical but what you would do even if it is stupid....

I always overdue.. my push mower has basically a ride mower.. I bought a new 2013 gmc sierra last year.. oh it came with 35's / 6" lift and really expensive.. and I drive it 125 miles a day filling up every other day... so yeah I overdo most ...

understand I know about mega zooms and iq loss but on these bodies I can live with it....
so choices...
Canon 1D Mark IV / Tammy 70-200 2.8 vc / Sigma 50-500(moon shots and long reach soccer) / sigma 18-35 f1.8
$1000 left over - buy memory cards / batteries and whatever...
or
1dx / Tammy 70-200 2.8 vc / Sigma 50-500

now I know about the mega zoom in 50-500.. i played with one on the 70d in the store and really liked it.. so it will be in my bag even if guy doesnt buy the truck and I dont get anything.. the sigma will be used even on my t2i....

so checkout my flickr... im a sub par hobbyist... I am in IT and if I post something it is up for grabs on bashing... I wont be upset...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56197228@N05/

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
I cannot advise on 1Dx vs 1DMkIV since I have 2 5DMkIII cameras.

But I comment on lenses:

Keep these:

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 24-105mm L
50mm 1.8 II

Sell the rest and the Rebel (generally everything APS-C) to get some extra money.

Get Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II instead of the Tamron. It seems that you will keep it for long so get the best.
Now I do not know Sigma 50-500 but I would not have high expectations.

There are shorter Canon lenses like 300mm f/4L, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L, etc....

Or you could find a used 300mm 2.8L IS (version 1) but in that case I would suggest to save on camera
and get a 5DMkIII instead of 1Dx.

Upvote 0
tron said:
I cannot advise on 1Dx vs 1DMkIV since I have 2 5DMkIII cameras.

But I comment on lenses:

Keep these:

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 24-105mm L
50mm 1.8 II

Sell the rest and the Rebel (generally everything APS-C) to get some extra money.

Get Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II instead of the Tamron. It seems that you will keep it for long so get the best.
Now I do not know Sigma 50-500 but I would not have high expectations.

There are shorter Canon lenses like 300mm f/4L, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L, etc....

Or you could find a used 300mm 2.8L IS (version 1) but in that case I would suggest to save on camera
and get a 5DMkIII instead of 1Dx.

i hear ya man..
my t2i aint goin for sale.. my 14 year old will get it with the 55-250
side note on the 50-500...

I use the 55 side and 250 side cropped... so while i know not high expectations of it.. it will come out ok...

my thing is 1dm4 or 1dx... my biggest..

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
What about the 1D are you desiring that, say, a 5D3 won't provide? Weather sealing? Frame rate? It seems odd to spend a significant amount of money on a top of the line body, in particular one who's strongest asset is autofocus, and to use lenses that may not keep up.

I suspect that a couple of series 2 constant f zooms and a 5D3 will do you better than a 1D and some 3rd party glass, unless you have a specific need for the 1D. You could still get a superzoom.

Upvote 0

DRR

Jul 2, 2013
Disclaimer - I have never used a 1DX.

I will say though, that if you buy a 1DX, I am sure you'll love it. I don't hear a lot of negatives from the 1DX. At that price point I wouldn't expect to.

My advice on bodies - don't buy a 1DX, don't buy a 5D3, don't buy a 1D4. Buy a 1D3.

My reasoning -

looking at your flickr, you don't have a lot of impossibly challenging lighting situations. Soccer is outside during the daytime. MMA stuff looks reasonably well lit (for the type of lighting available at least.) The 1D3 will handle those just fine.

1D3 vs 1D4 - the 1D4 is three times as expensive as the 1D3. If you hate the 1D3 after a few months you could probably sell it for almost all of what you paid for it. The 1D4 is going to take a larger hit, and it costs twice as much up front. But I bet the 1D3 will be plenty of camera for you.

The 1DX is an absolute luxury item for you. I would invest in glass. (I am also not one of those "always invest in glass" guys either) Looking at your lens list and the types of things you shoot, you'd be much better off spending some of that money on a telephoto prime and a teleconverter than you would on a 1DX.

If you feel the 1D3 is too old a body for your liking then get the 1D4. 5D3 is an awesome camera but for all the sports and action you shoot I think you'd be better served with an APS-H sensor and speed speed speed than you would be with full frame and better ISO performance.

Lenses - pick up a 70-200 2.8 IS II and a 300 f/4 IS, and a teleconverter, for $3500. 1D4 for $2500 in good condition. That's a much better way to spend your money than throwing it all into the body.

In 3 years time we'll be talking about the 1DX II and the 1DX will be worth a fraction of what it is now. Meanwhile, the lenses I listed will still be selling at 90% of their original value.

Just some food for thought.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
I understand your desire for the 1Dx, but your photographer friend is talking a lot of sense, and, as he knows you personally, I would concur with him.

The 1DX would be overkill and the most compelling of its high end features, the superb AF with matched lenses, would be lost on you it you paired it to the Tamron and Sigma (not that I am dismissing those lenses), however to get the best out of it the MkII zooms and super teles are the lenses it is designed to perform best and most accurately with.

I'd recommend the 1D MkIV.

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
If you've got the budget for it and the wife gives you the green light, what are you waiting for? ;D

As a hobbyist, what's wrong with using great gear if you can afford it? A few of my buddies are into cars (GT3, RT/10, etc.) and these things enjoy life as garage queens that never hit a track.

However, a 1D body is going to open the floodgates of spending for white lenses and fast glass. You've been warned...

wait a second... THIS is your truck?

11535933996_e35ca5f4b1_b.jpg

forget the 1DX... stick with your rebel :eek:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
side note.. guy I work with said if he didnt have so much equipment he would switch to Nikon... a friend of mine didnt have a DSLR and he went with the D610.. while not as fast in fps.. it is FF and 24mp which from reading other threads up here that people are thinking of switching from 1dx back to 5dm3 due to that very reason...

decisions decisions decisions....

Upvote 0
TeleFragger said:
side note.. guy I work with said if he didnt have so much equipment he would switch to Nikon...

That is something to consider. Not necessarly Nikon, but since you don't have all that much invested and you are considering spending large bucks, this may be your only chance to affordably choose which camera system you wish to use.

You should look at Nikon and Pentax systems too. See if what they offer may be more suited to your individual type of photography. Don't just think you have to buy Canon because you have shot Canon in the past.

Dispite this being a Canon forum, both Nikon and Pentax make some very nice cameras, each with advantages and disadvantages. Canon also makes some very nice cameras, each with advantages and disadvantages. But no manufacturer makes the best camera, as best can only be defined as what is best for you and your individual style of photography.

A camera is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. It should not be a status symbol. Take some time and really identify what your individual photographic needs are (don't be concerned with what other photographers need). And find the camera system that provides what you need, what you want, at a price you want to spend. Be especially wary of people on the Internets Tubes advising you on how to spend *your* money. LoL

If *I* am spending *your* money then clearly a Phase One is what you need. However, when I was spending *my* money, I got something considerably cheaper. ;D

Good luck with it. You are in a very fortunate position. Perhaps, unless you get another chunk o money, the only time you will be in this position. Don't make the decision in haste.

I was in a simular position as you were. I had old equipment and cheap lenses that I purchased over the years when I was po. I had an chance for a once-in-my-life purchase of a new camera system. Clearly at first I considered the same manufacturer as my old system. But, since I was truly starting over and wanted to replace my old cheap glass with new higher quality glass, I also looked at other manufacturers.

That is one of the more frustrating aspects of photography. Once you start investing in one system, it makes it harder to change to another system.

1. I buy a CaNikon system

2. When it comes time to buy another lens, I will naturally buy a lens that works with my CaNikon. I am not going to buy a lens that does not work with my current body.

3. When it comes to upgrade my body, well since I already have CaNikon lenses, naturally I will upgrade to a CaNikon body. I am not going to buy a body that can't use my existing lenses

... and the cycle continues.

Choose well and wisely my friend. You are in an enviable position.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2012
TeleFragger,

I can't tell you which camera body to get but I can ask a couple of questions that may help you in making your decision.

Several other posters have suggested you consider the 5D Mark III and I too think that is a worthy option to consider. So here are my questions:

What exactly would the 1dx and 1d4 do for your particular photography that a 5D Mark III won't?

And is that difference worth the extra money you would be spending?

Or would that extra money be better spent on higher-end glass or something else like a nice trip?

Hope these questions help.

Vivid

PS: you may already have thought of this but be sure to set aside enough money to get your new equipment properly insured. Many homeowner policies will not cover the dollar value of camera equipment you are considering without a specific rider or option. And you may want to get a separate policy and not mingle it with your homeowners insurance.

Upvote 0
Vivid Color said:
TeleFragger,

I can't tell you which camera body to get but I can ask a couple of questions that may help you in making your decision.

Several other posters have suggested you consider the 5D Mark III and I too think that is a worthy option to consider. So here are my questions:

What exactly would the 1dx and 1d4 do for your particular photography that a 5D Mark III won't?

Or would that extra money be better spent on higher-end glass or something else like a nice trip?

Vivid

PS: you may already have thought of this but be sure to set aside enough money to get your new equipment properly insured. Many homeowner policies will not cover the dollar value of camera equipment you are considering without a specific rider or option. And you may want to get a separate policy and not mingle it with your homeowners insurance.

well that is the thing. The guy I work with has a 5dm3 and does studio work with peeps and he recommends the 1dm4 over the 5dm3

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
TeleFragger said:
Vivid Color said:
TeleFragger,

Vivid

well that is the thing. The guy I work with has a 5dm3 and does studio work with peeps and he recommends the 1dm4 over the 5dm3
Then why didn't he get it himself? :eek:

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2012
TeleFragger said:
Vivid Color said:
TeleFragger,

Vivid

Did he say, or did you ask him, exactly why he recommends the 1dm4 over the 5dm3? And does this reason fit with your situation? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Details matter. Your exact purposes matter. In the end, it's up to you, but I'm seeing mostly what other people are telling you. What I'm not seeing in your statements is something specific to your situation like: I prefer camera body X to camera body Y because it has these sets of features and I'm willing to pay $xxxx more to get those specific extra features. Or, I'm going with camera body A over camera body B even though A doesn't have all the features of B, but I don't really need those features for what I do and I can use the $zzzz money I'm saving by buying A and use it for [state purpose here].

Upvote 0
Vivid Color said:
TeleFragger said:
Vivid Color said:
TeleFragger,

Vivid

Did he say, or did you ask him, exactly why he recommends the 1dm4 over the 5dm3? And does this reason fit with your situation? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Details matter. Your exact purposes matter. In the end, it's up to you, but I'm seeing mostly what other people are telling you. What I'm not seeing in your statements is something specific to your situation like: I prefer camera body X to camera body Y because it has these sets of features and I'm willing to pay $xxxx more to get those specific extra features. Or, I'm going with camera body A over camera body B even though A doesn't have all the features of B, but I don't really need those features for what I do and I can use the $zzzz money I'm saving by buying A and use it for [state purpose here].

yeah he is one cube away.. so I just walked over there (we got big cubes with high walls.. hah..

but anyway he said because the 5dm3 is not a sports camera. Wont give me the 10fps, is rugged but not as much since I told him some games are in the rain and i mean down pour.
I know some here will say the 5dm3 will do just that too....

he has a 1dm2 and 5dm3... now he shoots weddings on the side.. doesnt really do sports...

I cant sit here and say I like X body over x body or I like these features on body x because I havent messed with them all...
there is a local camera shop that we walked into (we as in 5dm3 boy and I).. and I got to hold the 70d with 50-500 on it and i liked the feel A LOT... but that was before my truck was up for sale so if the truck sale goes through im looking at bigger toys!!!!

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
If you feel comfortable, and he is a close enough friend, ask him to borrow it over a weekend when you are shooting MMA or sports when he's not shooting 2nd.

This will likely answer most of your questions. Something tells me 6fps from the 5D will be sufficient - getting keepers has more to do with technique (e.g. timing and anticipation) in action, imho anyway. 1Dx just takes spray and pray to a whole new level.

Upvote 0
BL said:
If you feel comfortable, and he is a close enough friend, ask him to borrow it over a weekend when you are shooting MMA or sports when he's not shooting 2nd.

This will likely answer most of your questions. Something tells me 6fps from the 5D will be sufficient - getting keepers has more to do with technique (e.g. timing and anticipation) in action, imho anyway. 1Dx just takes spray and pray to a whole new level.

he wont loan anything out.. I needed a 70-200 f2.8 for a work event and I hinted needing to find one to borrow. later that day we were talking about something and he said.. yeah that is why I dont loan anything out to ANYONE....

also spray and pray... i do fine with my 3.4 a sec... I got ok timing.. anticipation.. I did one street hockey and got EVERY goal in the net... think it was like 6-4... what I want out of the spray is simple... something I have wanted to do and cant do with my t2i...

see an anticipated goal from the goalie... or dive save...

zoom out a bit for full frame I want... start the ... RATTTAAA TAAAT TTAAAAT TAAAAAT....
then at home take say 8 or so.... layer them in Photoshop and have that beautiful pic showing all motion where starting point is faint all the way to the dive save that is not faint at all...

same as baseball... get the pitcher winding up and throwing.... ball in air down the plate line.. then batter hitting...

a lot of work on that one but would be cool....

Upvote 0