Sigma Readying Two New EF Lenses for Photokina? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Reliable Sigma rumors have always been hard to come by over the years, but we’re starting to  hear more and more from people about Sigma’s future plans, and this week we were given some insight into their Photokina plans.
For the moment, we’re told that Sigma will announce at least two lenses that will come in EF mount ahead of Photokina next month.
While the source that told us this didn’t know what the lenses would be, we have heard about coming Sigma lenses in the past.

The obvious and likely most sought after lens from Sigma, would be a new 70-200mm f/2.8 OS Sport, this lens has been long rumored and we’ve seen patents for the optical formula over the last year or so. I imagine the engineering required to  make sure it has reliable autofocus could be the biggest challenge for Sigma engineers.
We’ve also heard that a new 70-200mm f/4 OS from Sigma was also in the cards and could possibly be announced at the same time as an f/2.8 verison, just as Canon recently did.
We’ve also...

Continue reading...

Maybe not those two, but everyone else seems to.

- A
Politely disagree: B&H's list includes one (1) autofocus consumer everything zoom from Tamron. The rest are mostly low-level manual focus, and very few if any with electrical contacts. I have looked at this group several times over the months hoping for better stuff. The one EF-M Rokinon I had took good images but was mechanically poorly made with rough focus.

Huge difference with what the 3rd party makers are doing for Sony. No EF-M primes or good zooms from the big players, Sigma and Tamron. Or high-end manual focus players like Voigtlander and Zeiss. All making good lenses for Sony E mount.

Personally, I wish Tamron would make some higher-end EF-M lenses. Sigma lenses these days tend to be huge and heavy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
I'd love to see a 70-200 2.8 OS Art ... I'm a big fan of the Art line in EF mount.
the 70-200 2.8 would be in the sport line, while the f4 would probably be in the contemporary line, as previously rumored

Maybe not those two, but everyone else seems to.

- A

as said, the only autofocus lens is the tamron, which is...meh...i'd rather have the canon 18-150 but tamron doesn't show any love to mirrorless anyway...

sigma however already have some nice primes for sony E and M43 with a new one confirmed by their CEO
https://photorumors.com/2017/11/20/...ms-upcoming-middle-telephoto-mirrorless-lens/

Upvote 0
If Sigma really wanted to turn up the pressure on Canon, then they should try something crazy like a 24-200mm F/4 DG HSM Art. Consolidating the 24-70 & 70-200 in a full-frame F/4 constant aperture would be a first as far as I know. Olympus already has an effective 24-200mm F/4 via their 12-100mm F/4 IS PRO, and from everything I've heard it's an extremely versatile lens. I don't imagine Canon would ever dream of consolidating the two - way too much money coming in by keeping them separate. But Sigma has nothing to lose and everything to gain when it comes to market share for high-quality zooms, so why not?

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
It amazes me that none of the third party lens makers like Sigma, Tokina etc. make any lenses for the Canon M series cameras.
The Ms are good sellers and it seems to me that these lens makers are missing out on sales big time.

Perhaps there is a wait and see before spending development dollars as to what will shake out in the next year. I agree though about the M series as being top sellers worldwide.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Perhaps there is a wait and see before spending development dollars as to what will shake out in the next year. I agree though about the M series as being top sellers worldwide.
Also, how much of it is reverse engineering? The EF glass RE alone had to take a while and since EF-M is relatively new (ish) time could be a factor for that aspect. All in all, I'd be happy to see more autofocus M glass besides the single Tammy offering.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida

Hopefully the upcoming EF-M 32 f/1.4 will have a lovely price/performance ratio and be a big hit with the enthusiast M crowd, thereby elevating the M platform above being only a "consumer" camera. Perhaps Sigma will then show the mount some love (and Canon too).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hopefully the upcoming EF-M 32 f/1.4 will have a lovely price/performance ratio and be a big hit with the enthusiast M crowd, thereby elevating the M platform above being only a "consumer" camera. Perhaps Sigma will then show the mount some love (and Canon too).

FF users already have a pretty decent, budget 50 1f/.8, so don't think this would cause a re-evaluation of M, just bring the existing DSLR option to M's users.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
FF users already have a pretty decent, budget 50 1f/.8, so don't think this would cause a re-evaluation of M, just bring the existing DSLR option to M's users.
I don't think my post means what you think it means. I am referring only to the M system and lenses produced for that system. All EF lenses have been available for use on the Ms from the beginning by use of the EF-EOSM adapter.

Upvote 0