Is a Canon RF 24-70mm f/2 launching with the EOS R?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*Update* It has been confirmed that the Canon EOS R will launch with an RF 28-70mm f/2L lens, and not a RF 24-70mm f/2.
As we mentioned yesterday, we’re not going to be rating any rumors regarding the EOS R and we’ll be publishing pretty much everything that sounds possible.
We’re told that Canon will announce an RF 24-70mm f/2 lens with the EOS R body. The same source says the lens employs a “new lens design”, but gave no specifics.
A 24-70mm f/2 would obviously be a very large lens using conventional lens design, so we’re not sure what Canon could change to reduce the size of the lens.
The same source also mentioned that the EOS R will only have one SD card slot.
As for the RF 24-70mm f/2, I’d be quite shocked if such a lens was in the pipeline.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I'm hoping that rumor for the 1 SD card slot is wrong. The Nikon Z6 and Z7 are getting a good deal of bashing for missing a second card slot. Sony realized this was a shortcoming on the A7 and A7 II and added a second card slot on the A7 III. Hopefully Canon learned from Sony's mistake for that feature.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I hope there is not a new mount. Stick with the EF mount and the EF-M mount. Make 1 mirrorless pro that sticks with EF Mount and the second one using the EF-M Mount to keep it small.

I'd generally prefer this. But if a new mount is required for particularly impressive new optical designs then so be it. Maybe this is one such example.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Accuracy and integrity have been hallmarks of CR since the beginning.

Please don't post these baseless rumors. They may drive traffic, but it's disingenuous and harmful to your long-term credibility.

I disagree. CR has made it quite clear they are not even bothering to rate the rumours and I am looking on it more as 'water cooler gossip' and aware of what is circulating - with a bit of triaging based on the reliability of sources. Normally I would not bother but this is such a significant step for Canon that it is worthwhile.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Why can't ANY company build a killer interchangeable lens vlogging camera? It isn't that hard Canon! It needs a flip LCD screen, 4K video, 120 fps 1080, duel pixel auto focus, a port for an external mic, video out to an external monitor, and (dreaming now) the ability to run off of an external battery... Give me that along with average photo features and I would consider your new mirrorless camera a homerun. Canon has the opportunity to really lock down the YouTube/vlogging market, but they probably won't. At the $2000 price point I don't need two SD card slots, uber-megapixels, A9-level fps, or other high-end photo features. Shoot, build me an A7III with a flip screen and duel-pixel auto focus and I would probably be willing to pay closer to $3K.

More to the point of this rumor, a 24-70 f/2 lens would be SWEET! I don't expect this rumor to be true.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping that rumor for the 1 SD card slot is wrong. The Nikon Z6 and Z7 are getting a good deal of bashing for missing a second card slot. Sony realized this was a shortcoming on the A7 and A7 II and added a second card slot on the A7 III. Hopefully Canon learned from Sony's mistake for that feature.

For a launch price of 1900, I figure it'd be 6Dish -- 1 card slot. I'd expect 2 card slots for the higher model.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Why can't ANY company build a killer interchangeable lens vlogging camera? It isn't that hard Canon! It needs a flip LCD screen, 4K video, 120 fps 1080, duel pixel auto focus, a port for an external mic, video out to an external monitor, and (dreaming now) the ability to run off of an external battery... Give me that along with average photo features and I would consider your new mirrorless camera a homerun. Canon has the opportunity to really lock down the YouTube/vlogging market, but they probably won't. At the $2000 price point I don't need two SD card slots, uber-megapixels, A9-level fps, or other high-end photo features. Shoot, build me an A7III with a flip screen and duel-pixel auto focus and I would probably be willing to pay closer to $3K.

More to the point of this rumor, a 24-70 f/2 lens would be SWEET! I don't expect this rumor to be true.

If the M50 is any indication, most of what you want may be addressed with the launch of the M5 Mark II.

Upvote 0