Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Apr 23, 2018
A filter in the adapter can be used with multiple lenses of varying front diameter. One could have one CPL that works on 72, 77, and 82mm etc front elements without having to own multiple sizes of CPLs or mess with step up/down rings that interfere with lens hoods. Same for NDs. As a video shooter this would really streamline switching lenses in the field. Basically for the same reason the cinema bodies have internal NDs.

What would be really cool would be if the ND in the adapter is a variable ND.

exactly.

Upvote 0
+1. I'm not saying this is what we're getting, but the jury remains out until we see this damn thing.

We could bolt EF right on these new bodies.

But it could just be an A7 / Z sort of offering with a thin mount + adaptor but Canon just made the adaptors sexy.

- A

I am going to differ. Unless it is truly an adapter for EF to RF mount of which I am hoping against there is only 1 logical conclusion - an mount to match RF to EOS-M cameras. It doesn't make sense the other way (crop lenses on ff bodies). I hope I am right :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Doesn't catch on fire or cause rabies

Dammit. We always overlook hydrophobia and spontaneous combustion. Good get.

I design products for a living, and now I want to write the above as a design input for everything I make. I might get some pushback from Quality on needing to order a family of rabid raccoons and some napalm for V&V, though. :unsure:

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A filter in the adapter can be used with multiple lenses of varying front diameter. One could have one CPL that works on 72, 77, and 82mm etc front elements without having to own multiple sizes of CPLs or mess with step up/down rings that interfere with lens hoods. Same for NDs. As a video shooter this would really streamline switching lenses in the field. Basically for the same reason the cinema bodies have internal NDs.

What would be really cool would be if the ND in the adapter is a variable ND.

I get the convenience angle completely, but does this not mean that choosing to use the feature (instead of front-filtering) means that you are voluntarily walking away from weather sealing?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I haven't seen it mentioned yet...but assuming the mount allows a recessed R lens, but also accepts EF lens, should it not also be able to accept EF-S lens? 15-85 on FF?

Just thinking out loud...

CB

No reason why it shouldn't without a mirror back there. The firmware/metering/etc. will have to downshift into crop mode to work properly (you don't want blacked out corners messing with metering), but yes, it should work.

I asked this question previously about an EF to [new mount] adaptor: the answer from the team here was if EF works, so should EF-S.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
With zero slow/small lenses to avail itself of this small opportunity. :unsure:

I'm not saying that's proof it will be full EF, but it seems odd to launch a 'small' body with a slate of big glass like this. Surely you launch a 'small' platform with a pancake, a 35 f/2.8, a special 'designed to be small' zoom (i.e. 24-50 f/variable), etc. None of those are on offer here.

- A
Sometime, Canon may come up with its version of small, but I don't think this is the time. f2.0 normal zooms and f1.2 normal lenses are headed in another direction, or so it seems to me.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Oh snap. The good ship IBIS might have just taken a knife in the ribs:

View attachment 180013

We knew the macro had IS, but the lack of it on the 24-105 was a pretty clear tell IBIS was on the camera.

IS is on the 24-105 now. Ruh roh.

- A

Crap, I better audit my requirements document:

$2k launch price point (but I'll probably wait to either buy used, refurb or wait for holiday sales in 2019)
Sensor is clearly better than 6D2, but doesn't have to match 5D4
Doesn't catch on fire or cause rabies

Nope, I'm still good.

Upvote 0
I get the convenience angle completely, but does this not mean that choosing to use the feature (instead of front-filtering) means that you are voluntarily walking away from weather sealing?

- A

Again, it's really no different than the cinema bodies with internal NDs. You can still put a clear filter over the front element, and many people do - not just for weather sealing, but to protect from damage. It's not really an either/or scenario.

Upvote 0
Is there a chance that the "name may be different" for the 600/4 IS III may point to it actually being the 600 f/4 DO we've all been waiting for?? Come on Canon...don't do this to me...I just sold off all my Canon bodies...I just ordered a 500PF.....do I now have to repurchase a 1DX2 and the 600DO.....aaaarrrrggghhhh

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Canon are certainly making us curious. I don't think it will blow us away but hopefully its a pretty decent camera.
Its an important camera for Canon.
If its not received well I think it will dent alot of confidence in them.
Hopefully they've taken the time to make something a photographer would enjoy using and take advantage of some of mirrorless's benefits.
The whole mount thing seems a bit strange.
If its optimised for EF and adapts to suit mirrorless lens it will be interesting how does that work and does it work well.
I'd be in the market for a mirrorless FF camera but it would need to be tempting.

Upvote 0