Switched to Sony...

Feb 13, 2018
Agreed but knowing what a camera can do in terms of exposure and what kind of recovery it will get you is important. Nothing can recover over exposed images. Underexposed photos have a higher success in recovery even if noise will surface. It can be cleaned later. The Sony has such an amazingly DR that it almost doesn't need bracketing. I have never used bracketing in my life. I never needed it, but understand the purpose. Someday cameras won't even have that option because they will "see" what the human eye can. I look forward to that moment.
I said it many times on these forums and other places: some company needs to start R&D on a camera with 3 layered sensors. One for shadows, one for mid tones and one for highlights. That will be the day th game will change. It's not impossible.

Congrats on the new cam!

Really not sure whether there is an appreciable DR difference between a A7III and say a 5DIV anymore. I tested this with a friend owning the A7III. Neither of us would want to push more than 3stops (locally, e.g corners) for professional work.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Trust me, at first, bad ergonomics might slow you down but it doesn't mean you will have a percentage of bad photos because of it.
The only thing that gets you bad photos is lack of experience. Try this: Gather a few of your friends with Smart phones and ask them to shoot, for example, a car. Some of them will shoot the photo vertically, chopping off some of the car and leaving way too much space on the top or bottom of the image.
Others will shoot it landscape and get the wrong angle or perspective, some others will frame it nicely.
The camera or the ergonomics don't count for a good photo. Only the eye and talent of the photographer.
Now everybody is an amateur photographer. A 3 year old kid can take a good photo... Even that infamous Monkey who took its own Selfie.
Practice to become a better photographer, not an operator.

Cheers

P

How to miss the point.
If you read my post it was nothing to do with image quality or photographic ability - it was that if I do not like the ergonomics it will not be the camera I pick up as a reflex action. I take the MFT gear with me as a 'just in case' camera because the size savings are significant and the payoff worthwhile for the occasions I do not even know I will take any pictures. But if I am off to specifically take pictures, the Canon is what I reach for because I find it nicer to use and more responsive.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
*snnnniif!* Ahhh! The scent of psychotic fanboyism. Seems some things really never change... :(

I'll tell ya. The best thing I ever did was leave this nutsy forum and just DO photography. With whatever cameras I wished. It's fun having a diversified kit with many brands. You never lack for the best tool for the job, and that's a wonderful thing.

@clistudio: Give up while you still can, man. Just enjoy the cameras you prefer. If that is Sony, awesome. It it is Canon, awesome. There is literally no point in trying to convince anyone on these forums of anything. It will only sap your soul of it's essence and leave you a desiccated husk.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
*snnnniif!* Ahhh! The scent of psychotic fanboyism. Seems some things really never change... :(

I'll tell ya. The best thing I ever did was leave this nutsy forum and just DO photography. With whatever cameras I wished. It's fun having a diversified kit with many brands. You never lack for the best tool for the job, and that's a wonderful thing.

@clistudio: Give up while you still can, man. Just enjoy the cameras you prefer. If that is Sony, awesome. It it is Canon, awesome. There is literally no point in trying to convince anyone on these forums of anything. It will only sap your soul of it's essence and leave you a desiccated husk.
Right on, man!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Trust me, at first, bad ergonomics might slow you down but it doesn't mean you will have a percentage of bad photos because of it.
The only thing that gets you bad photos is lack of experience. Try this: Gather a few of your friends with Smart phones and ask them to shoot, for example, a car. Some of them will shoot the photo vertically, chopping off some of the car and leaving way too much space on the top or bottom of the image.
Others will shoot it landscape and get the wrong angle or perspective, some others will frame it nicely.
The camera or the ergonomics don't count for a good photo. Only the eye and talent of the photographer.
Now everybody is an amateur photographer. A 3 year old kid can take a good photo... Even that infamous Monkey who took its own Selfie.

Cheers

P
Your having your equipment at the bottom of each post as a double-spaced list is a waste of space akin to the vertical shot you deride.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Nutsy forum, and yet you keep coming back. SMH.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Cheers

P

Thanks for admitting the camera doesn't count for a good photo and that Sony ergonomics are terrible. Very true, so I'll stick to Canon and be comfortable then. SMH. Why did you post? Yes, technology moves fast, but like you said... the camera doesn't make a photo good. Then why the fanboyism? Nobody really cares you switched. The problem is with the obnoxious post.

Upvote 0
Thanks for admitting the camera doesn't count for a good photo and that Sony ergonomics are terrible. Very true, so I'll stick to Canon and be comfortable then. SMH. Why did you post? Yes, technology moves fast, but like you said... the camera doesn't make a photo good. Then why the fanboyism? Nobody really cares you switched. The problem is with the obnoxious post.
I care that I switched and I am sharing my opinions as to why. What's so obnoxious about it?
And the only fanboy here is you... Your name says it... and also your bipolarity... So why don't u go ask your other self something and come back to the forum when u have something interesting to say...

Upvote 0
Your having your equipment at the bottom of each post as a double-spaced list is a waste of space akin to the vertical shot you deride.
I didn't see a setting or a rule that says I can't list my equipment any way I want. Right? I thought we were talking about cameras and photography here. So to make it clear, your comment is also a waste of resources, text, space and time... Why don't u ask nicely next time?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I've generally been a fan of Sony electronics over the years. I swore by their camcorders, stereo equipment and speakers. I considered one of their still cameras when I was first looking to get into digital (I ended up choosing the Canon G1). However, my biggest investment in them was with the MiniDisc (remember those?), and my experience with that did not leave me with a positive impression of them as a company. Still love the technology though, still find a way to make use of it to this day.

As a result, I don't think I could ever consider investing in another system built by them. JMO. A fool me once/twice kinda thing. But I definitely acknowledge their presence and (newfound) influence in the camera market.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am so glad you bought a Sony and you're selling your 1dx.
Now you can bugger off and continue your whinging on the Sony forum.

I've been forced to use Sonys a few times in my career, and found that not only did my fingers and hand hurt, but it took me ages to colour correct the thousands of images I took with them, because they made people look green.
If you need a camera that you need to push the files to ridiculous levels, then the exposure meter in the camera is faulty, or you're a poor photographer because you expose incorrectly.
Simple.
Spec sheets are wonderful, but I prefer a camera that is comfortable for me and has great colour out of the box, and takes nice photos.

I don't put a list of my gear at the bottom of every post because if I did, it would take up the whole page!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well, username checks out... *SMH*

And yet, I am honest. You, on the other hand, come back to disparage the forum and accuse the forum members of being nuts. Wow. Seems you are the nut. SMH. A sane person doesn't go where he doesn't like. Why did you come back? Must like it here after all.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I care that I switched and I am sharing my opinions as to why. What's so obnoxious about it?
And the only fanboy here is you... Your name says it... and also your bipolarity... So why don't u go ask your other self something and come back to the forum when u have something interesting to say...

Just shows even more how ignorant you are. Bipolar does not mean multiple personalities. Nobody but you cares that you switched. BTW: Nothing in your post is interesting. Just more Sony trolling. That's what is obnoxious. Just shoot. Happy with your camera? Great! Then just use it. SMH

Long exposures? Ever hear of "mirror up"? And the timed shutter release?

You want to pick on somebody's disability? Go ahead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
And yet, I am honest. You, on the other hand, come back to disparage the forum and accuse the forum members of being nuts. Wow. Seems you are the nut. SMH. A sane person doesn't go where he doesn't like. Why did you come back? Must like it here after all.

Just keep talkin. You are making my case for me. ;)

Upvote 0