Further Canon EOS R specifications [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Update: The full specifications for the Canon EOS R can be seen here.
We were sent the following last night and have been unable to confirm any of the information in this post.
More Canon EOS R Rumored Specifications:

EOS R 4K Spec
30p 4K All-I or IPB
Canon Log, internal or external
10-bit 4K HDMI clean output support BT.2020 color matrix, not the old BT.709.
Focus Guide from Cinema EOS, no need to worry about using MF Lens
The bar next to EVF is a touch Bar, swipe or tap OK, can be mapped for different functions.
The traditional back dial is moved to the top because there’s where your thumb will be on a smaller body.
The ring on the lens is a control ring, it lets you use both hands to control the camera, like in M mode, you use it with the dials on the body, then you can adjust Tv, Av and ISO with both hands.
No distance scale on the lenses as the distance info will be projected on the EVF...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thx for the update.

Still no formal word on some major items:
  • Price
  • IBIS
  • FPS
  • Card slots
The next few days will be interesting.

- A

I'm going to say no "true" IBIS with both the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro and RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM being stabilized. Maybe there will be some kind of software stabilization for video.

We've been told 1 card slot numerous times, but again, I can't confirm it.

Price is unknown, I expect Nok will have Yen pricing soon.

FPS is totally unknown at this time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
i think as just a guess the fps will be 5d in nature. 6 to 7 fps but as a full start the gear looks dead on and no foot in door but kick the door down of entrance. but I could be wrong 1 memory slot like the 6d series and the 70-80d ones price anyone's guess . we will see sept 5.

5D4-like sensor X 5D4 fps are two big steps towards a 5D4 price.

There are other specs where Canon could leave stuff out to keep the 5D4 more attractive or to allow the R to be so small. But if it looks like a 5D4 and smells like a 5D4, it probably will cost as much as a 5D4.

- A

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
That bar does look like the touch bar on Apple's newest MacBook Pros. The camera should have EyeAF since EOS M50 (DIGIC 8 Processor) has it. I am more interested in knowing how it would support EF-Mount lenses.

At these features, I wouldn't be amazed if it's priced mid $2000s, but then again, the Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS was priced lower than expected.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Thx for the update.

Still no formal word on some major items:
  • Price
  • IBIS
  • FPS
  • Card slots
  • (Edit) Eye AF
The next few days will be interesting.

- A

Major items? All depends on what priorities each individual has. As a non-typical forum dweller, the only major item on your list for me is the price. IBIS is pretty much unnecessary for those like me without older non-IS lenses. (Plus, I often wonder if IBIS runs the risk over the long run of putting the sensor out of alignment.) I expect one card slot and somehow have always been able to focus on what I want without the camera choosing for me. If I want to focus on the eyes, I will, If not, I would rather the camera not do anything! But Eye-AF is now the hot topic even though we have all been able to focus successfully without it.

Far more important to me is touch screen focus point selection (as on the M5), overall ergonomics, and how good the EVF will be.

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
I wonder if the 24-105 is macro (but only 0.75x magnification) like one of their current full frame kit lenses, and that's why it has lens IS. If so, the body could still be IBIS. I think if the body has IBIS than this definitely isn't going to be $1900, like earlier rumors suggest. Give me IBIS and BSI sensor tech and I'm down to pay 3 grand, and I'm only a hobbyist currently. This could be the godlike camera everyone has been waiting for from Canon.

Upvote 0
I really do like the idea of putting a function ring on lenses. I assume it'll be configurable (eg switch mode, aperture, maybe microfocus adjust).

A continuously variable aperture, exposure compensation, or ISO adjustment on the lens would make quite a bit of sense. For video, it would be wonderful. For photos, it would be a fairly intuitive way for people who are used to working in auto mode to get the exposure that they want while looking at the LCD or EVF.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I wonder if the 24-105 is macro (but only 0.75x magnification) like one of their current full frame kit lenses, and that's why it has lens IS. If so, the body could still be IBIS. I think if the body has IBIS than this definitely isn't going to be $1900, like earlier rumors suggest. Give me IBIS and BSI sensor tech and I'm down to pay 3 grand, and I'm only a hobbyist currently. This could be the godlike camera everyone has been waiting for from Canon.
Probably wouldn't go so far as to hope it is a god like camera. It will be a serious competitor to sony though. It may lack in some areas like ibis and card slots but it seems as though it will beat the sonys in other areas. By a fair margin. It will just come down to what the individual considers important

Upvote 0
Major items? All depends on what priorities each individual has. As a non-typical forum dweller, the only major item on your list for me is the price. IBIS is pretty much unnecessary for those like me without older non-IS lenses. (Plus, I often wonder if IBIS runs the risk over the long run of putting the sensor out of alignment.) I expect one card slot and somehow have always been able to focus on what I want without the camera choosing for me. If I want to focus on the eyes, I will, If not, I would rather the camera not do anything! But Eye-AF is now the hot topic even though we have all been able to focus successfully without it.

Far more important to me is touch screen focus point selection (as on the M5), overall ergonomics, and how good the EVF will be.

All Sigma Art lens are non IS. It would nice to add IBIS to it.

EyeAF would be nice but it isn't as necessary as dual card slot for me.

Upvote 0
The spec list is not bad but as ahsanford pointed out, no mention of card or ibis. I have a hard time thinking canon will allow this to do 10 bit out and have cinema features, this is unlike them. I know some like the whole external recorder deal but after getting the c200 and shooting right to a card I'm over the external recorder as we all should be. I still do not understand doing a new mount and releasing this camera with canons most expensive telephotos, I hope this means they will not be abandoning the ef for a long time to come

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
I really do like the idea of putting a function ring on lenses. I assume it'll be configurable (eg switch mode, aperture, maybe microfocus adjust).
Yes this is a really innovative concept by Canon and appeals to me similarly. It would be good if as you assume it is configurable. Even better if you could use another button on the body to cycle the function ring between different options, e.g. ISO and aperture

Upvote 0