POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Amateur here on a crop body and would like to move to full frame and owning a few full frame lenses maybe I'm the target market for this camera. I would love it and the new 50...but I'm probably better off with a used 5Dii and a used 50 1.4 . Certainly then with the money I saved I could take a photo trip... happier wife...still I don't know. I really do want the new RF 50 but I also like the way film looks.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
not quite... estimate where I'll need my focus (think his head).. using 1.4 primes for extra light so very shallow dof.. recompose too much and its out of focus so I focus near the edges. The spread on the mk2 was clustered too much to the centre.
Yes (I understand and I agree) but at least you can choose a different AF point while looking through the viewfinder. You may change position of your subject by moving your camera and choose a different AF point without moving your eye from the viewfinder. I may not have the 6DII but I did have the 5D2 then the 5D3 and finally the 5D4 so I remember the few AF points of 5D2.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
So will you be able to change focus points while you target your theme through EVF just like we do with DSLRs?
I would take that as a given. If they sell a camera with 5000 selectable AF points you have to take your face away from the eyepiece to select, they deserve to be doomed. They aren’t that foolish.

Upvote 0
agree fully.. yes we could shoot with older cameras and usually we found work arounds... but why not leverage technology where avail? I agree BIFs in and other action pics sometimes you need to burst for a bit to get that right shot. This is in a pub... the lighting is only a bit brighter than incandescents.... but I'm trying to capture that moment during a jump which conveys 'rock n roll' (this is not my best, but tend to avoid posting faces without permission).. and before you say it.. I can't afford $5k and over, its a hobby.. no income from it.
cool shot. looks like a 60's photo!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
In 10 years we will just think where to focus and the camera will do it... :p wait!. Canon already had laser eye focus 20 years ago... the closest thing to thinking where to put the focus points... What happened to it?
Not laser but after calibration it could detect where you were looking. That was the EOS50E (in US it was an ELAN model).
I did have it and the system worked. But the specific model has a plastic body and it was the only one with many damages: the back wheel and the mode button. In contrast my EOS620, 600 (=630 for the US) and the RT were tough. Back to eye controlled AF: That could be a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not laser but after calibration it could detect where you were looking. That was the EOS50E (in US it was an ELAN model).
I did have it and the system worked. But the specific model has a plastic body and it was the only one with many damages: the back wheel and the mode button. In contrast my EOS620, 600 (=630 for the US) and the RT were tough. Back to eye controlled AF: That could be a solution.
I wonder why they didn't improve on the system...

Upvote 0
Speaking of fps a friend got Sony RX10MkIII (there wasn't a IV yet) and he takes group portraits at many fps. So he can find a shot
where everyone looks nice!
Speaking of fps a friend got Sony RX10MkIII (there wasn't a IV yet) and he takes group portraits at many fps. So he can find a shot
where everyone looks nice!
FPS doesn't make everyone look nice. I took a 20-cheerleader shot once and I had to photoshop faces around. it was fun.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes, but at least the odds are increased with 5 fps, more so with 8 fps, etc.

And I'm not sure why that would improve the odds. It seems easier to me to shoot at the right moment rather than to shoot at precisely a multiple of 1/5 second (or whatever) before the right moment.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
cool shot. looks like a 60's photo!
That doesn't make it a good shot, in the context of the discussion (which is improved camera capabilities). It just shows that you like shots that have a '60s vibe.

When I shoot gigs, I want the images to look like it's the 2010s, not the 1960s...

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
And I'm not sure why that would improve the odds.
Yikes!

It's well saying that you don't shoot sport or wildlife!

:confused:

It took me about 50 frames to get this one shot of Hamish, the baby Polar bear at the Highland Wildlife Park in Scotland, at just the point I wanted, of his pounce on the seal proxy he was playing with.

You can anticipate until you're blue in the face, you won't get "the shot" by clicking the shutter once...

ACD_IMG_8493_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm stunned that some people in here are implying that you can't manually select the AF point while shooting with the EOS R. The spec sheet (even the leaked one I'm pretty sure) and the hundreds of videos on YouTube say you use the back of the screen to drag the AF point manually. To me, this sounds MUCH faster than using the joystick on the 5DIV.

Also, (on paper) this camera acquires focus faster than ANY other camera on the planet. Period. 0.05 seconds. I am thinking this camera will be an absolute AF beast. If you shoot professional sports, sure there aren't enough FPS. For everyone else, this camera will outperform AF expectations (including ease of manual AF point selection).

I have pre-orderd, and yes, I am selling one of my 5DIV. I genuinely believe the R will be a much nicer camera to use, and I am postive it will outperform the 5DIV in all aspects of AF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm stunned that some people in here are implying that you can't manually select the AF point while shooting with the EOS R. The spec sheet (even the leaked one I'm pretty sure) and the hundreds of videos on YouTube say you use the back of the screen to drag the AF point manually. To me, this sounds MUCH faster than using the joystick on the 5DIV.

Also, (on paper) this camera acquires focus faster than ANY other camera on the planet. Period. 0.05 seconds. I am thinking this camera will be an absolute AF beast. If you shoot professional sports, sure there aren't enough FPS. For everyone else, this camera will outperform AF expectations (including ease of manual AF point selection).

I have pre-orderd, and yes, I am selling one of my 5DIV. I genuinely believe the R will be a much nicer camera to use, and I am postive it will outperform the 5DIV in all aspects of AF.
I am stunned that someone considers that manually selecting through the back of the screen as changing the focus point while shooting! That can happen - as I mentioned - in the EOS 5DIV and 200D already! Nothing new!

I said many times: WHILE LOOKING THROUGH THE VIEWFINDER (=EVF)

I believe that while someone looks through the viewfinder he/she cannot touch the back screen at the same time (common sense?).

Upvote 0
I am stunned that someone considers that manually selecting through the back of the screen as changing the focus point while shooting! That can happen - as I mentioned - in the EOS 5DIV and 200D already! Nothing new!

I said many times: WHILE LOOKING THROUGH THE VIEWFINDER (=EVF)

I believe that while someone looks through the viewfinder he/she cannot touch the back screen at the same time (common sense?).

No, I am saying that you can select the AF on the back of the LCD screen while looking through the viewfinder. This is common to most, if not all mirrorless cameras. Why do you think there's no joystick?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
No, I am saying that you can select the AF on the back of the LCD screen while looking through the viewfinder. This is common to most, if not all mirrorless cameras. Why do you think there's no joystick?
Don't you press your face against the back of the camera while you look through the viewfinder?
In the case where you have moved it (articulating...) do you have 3 hands ? (one the camera, one the lens one the lcd?) Only when using the lightest/smallest possible lens you have the luxury to not hold it at all...

Upvote 0
Don't you press your face against the back of the camera while you look through the viewfinder?
In the case where you have moved it (articulating...) do you have 3 hands ? (one the camera, one the lens one the lcd?) Only when using the lightest/smallest possible lens you have the luxury to not hold it at all...

I suggest you look at videos on YouTube to see how this works. You can limit the LCD screen to only use the top-right corner for AF point selection while using the viewfinder. Also look at how far the eyepiece protrudes from the EOS R. Like I said, this method of AF point selection is very common in mirrorless cameras. The EOS R is no different.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0