At least two new EOS M cameras coming in 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With the recent announcement of the Canon EOS R, there has been a lot of people wondering what will become of the EOS M system. As we know, the biggest drawback to the system now appears to be the mount, as there’s no upgrade path for EF-M lenses to work on the new EOS R system.
We believe that EOS M will be discontinued someday in the distant future, so don’t worry about the system going away any time soon. The EOS M system is not like Nikon’s V system, as we believe sales of the EOS M50, EOS M6 and EOS M5 have been very good for Canon. So good in fact that they’ve powered Canon to the top of mirrorless sales categories in some countries.
We’re told that at least two new EOS M cameras will hit the market in the first half of 2019. One of them will be a replacement for the EOS M5 and include 4K with DPAF. We’re also told that there will be “minimal” crop for 4K video on the new image sensor inside the EOS M5. So look for the EOS M5 Mark II to improve on some perceived weaknesses in...

Continue reading...

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
But..but...but... the mount ?!

Given that the CR community in general don't represent the average camera consumer, and I guess are much more likely to want to adapt EF lenses to the M than your average Joe, I don't see that many people on here wanting to do it; I guess in the market as a whole it's pretty minuscule. Certainly the novelty of doing so has worn off with me on the M5, and now I just use that camera as it was intended; small, light and inconspicuous. So I'm quite happy with EF-M lenses only, mixing and matching the mount doesn't interest me anymore. M-only lenses will do fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Surprised to hear rumours of new M cameras in the pipeline. Struggling to understand why they wouldn't just release a budget R (in same way we've have the 1XXXD's sitting alongside 5Ds etc previously). Why would anyone invest in an M system where there's no sideways movement either across to the EF mount SLRs or upwards to the RF family moving forward? The M line up is pretty modest so assumed they'd just release a budget R and quietly retire the M completely.

I'd always just assumed the M was a little experiment into the mirrorless world and they'd taken what they'd learned and put that into the R. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... use that camera as it was intended; small, light and inconspicuous. So I'm quite happy with EF-M lenses only, mixing and matching the mount doesn't interest me anymore. M-only lenses will do fine.
I think that takes it to the point, Sporgon.
The convenience of that system gives it the power to stand side by side to the "old" EOS/EF and the "new" EOS R/RF systems.
A lot of consumers are just fine with what Canon offers here. And once again this shows that Canon understands the market better than some gearheads ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'd always just assumed the M was a little experiment into the mirrorless world and they'd taken what they'd learned and put that into the R. Am I missing something?

Yes, the fact that they are TINY and they're selling really well. The RF mount is large, and the lenses are huge and expensive and super wasteful on a crop sensor. It's not like Canon wants to launch yet another separate line of lenses (crop RF)! The vast majority of M purchasers doesn't care that much about upgrade paths either.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Surprised to hear rumours of new M cameras in the pipeline. Struggling to understand why they wouldn't just release a budget R (in same way we've have the 1XXXD's sitting alongside 5Ds etc previously). Why would anyone invest in an M system where there's no sideways movement either across to the EF mount SLRs or upwards to the RF family moving forward? The M line up is pretty modest so assumed they'd just release a budget R and quietly retire the M completely.

Yes. EOS M is here to stay (at least for longer than APS-C mirrorslappers). It is NOT a miniature-sensored, underpowered Nikon 1 system. :)

Buying an EOS M camera or an EF-M lens also does not qualify as "investment". It means spending a little money for a decent camera and a few decent lenses for a setup that is a lot more compact than any R-mount gear can possibly ever be. :)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

I think the M system is like the powershot line of yesteryear. If Canon developes R APS-C cameras, then you'll have a R APS-C/RF that is better than the existing EF-S/EF setup. For those that want even more portability, there is the M.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
So I'm quite happy with EF-M lenses only, mixing and matching the mount doesn't interest me anymore. M-only lenses will do fine.

yes, for most users. Although I still occasionally like to adapt one of my smaller EF lenses on EOS M when there is no adequate equivalent (yet): specifically the excellent EF-S 60 Macro as "small stuff and portrait lens", the EF 40/2.8 STM as "better IQ, faster walkaround lens" than EF-M zooms and EF 50/1.8 STM for "available light and portraits".

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Struggling to understand why they wouldn't just release a budget R

IMHO a budget R would require budget RF lenses as well - not exactly what has been released in the first wave. Can't see buyers of a budget R needing to use the adapter and EF-S lenses on it - would look a bad way to sell it.

Anyway, I can't see the lack of an "upgrade path" a big issue - if you buy a different camera system, say fuji or one of the m43 cameras because you like something small (including lenses) and simple, you're in the same situation - or even worse one as at least something like flash and a few other accessories can be used on M, EF and RF cameras.

Moreover, some people are not interested in an upgrade path at all.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Surprised to hear rumours of new M cameras in the pipeline. Struggling to understand why they wouldn't just release a budget R (in same way we've have the 1XXXD's sitting alongside 5Ds etc previously).

The M will always have the potential to be smaller than the R, simply due to the mount size. The M has always been sub $1,000. I do not expect to see an R anytime soon for less than $1,000.

So, M...smaller, living in the $500-$1,000 market. This is a large and distinctive market.

R, larger, living in the greater than $1,000 world.

Could we some day see a "R-s"...with a crop sensor. Sure, then then it would need lenses to match, like a 15-85, 18-55, 10-22, etc. I see Canon focusing on populating the FF RF lenses for 5-10 years before they worry about this. Especially with the M already populated.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
I don't understand what the fuss is all about. EF-S lenses also never worked on the EF mount.

a few forum users and some writers on dpreview, petapixel, Thom Hogan etc. are "panicking in advance" because RF lenses cannot be used on EOS M bodies/EF-M mount. They believe an "upgrade" path from crop to FF system is important, like in the old days, when rebel and XXD/7D users purchased EF lenses "in anticipation of going FF someday ... eventually." :)

For overwhelming majority of EOS M buyers and users it is no real issue. Same as for Sony A5### and A6### users who normally also do not run out and purchase big fat expensive GrandMaster FE lenses for their small crop bodies, just because some day in the future they might buy an A7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

While I don't completely agree, I do know where you're coming from. After having some time to process my needs/wants after the R announcement, I've decided that the M is still a worthy system all on its own, because regardless of upgrade path, the images I get from it are great. While the M system may not be able to utilize R lenses, and the R system is unable to adapt M lenses, so long as I have my EF lenses, I'll have upgrade paths regardless of which system I use. Were I not already invested in the M system though, I'm not sure how I would feel. But having used it for a few years now and really loving it, I'm convinced it does have a place.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015

Yes, and that is many people simply don't NEED an upgrade path to full frame anymore :). Today's APS-C sensors are vastly superior to full frame sensors from around 5 years ago in terms of ISO performance and AF. One can easily take great, high quality photos with a camera like an M6 or M5. And because the cameras and lenses for them are smaller and lighter, those people are more likely to have the camera on them instead of using their cell phone. I'm not saying full frame is pointless, I'm just saying it isn't a necessity for many people.

Yes, at some point Canon will release an APS-C based EOS R that will either sit next to the EOS M system as the next step up or replace the EOS M system altogether. But I can't see that camera being as small and light as an M5.

Upvote 0