The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A 1D X mark 2 replacement will be out before July 2020.

It will have dual CFast card slots

That's an exceedingly modest prediction. Can't you do better than that! ;)

It bugs me that there wasn't even a modest attempt to update the camera. For example, why it would default to CF after having removed/inserted cards when the best performance is with CFast (CF=1, CFAST=2). I tried to get them to modify photo review so you coud go back over a sequence without first having to hit the shutter (you otherwise can only view the last shot). I somehow don't think the 1DX2 is very high prioritity and doubt if an new version will have much added.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
unfocused, it's pretty clear to me that anyone shooting jpg is simply using the photos as they are shot with perhaps cropping and that's it. In that scenario speed to market is really all they care about, and that understandable. There would be no pride in any of the usual areas that constitute a great photo because it's just a wow sports photo for sports fans.

Surely anyone who cares would shoot RAW and as you say basic adjustments are quick anyway.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
it isnt modest prediction. if next pro model got phone they may think second card slot is waste. I think they should keep two slot or even add more just cause more cards writes faster than one.
WEird fact that R camera got just one ,may predict something like that.
they may just runned out time to finish R camera like it was meaned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Yes we never know if it was rushed ,but i could imagine scenario.
Last spring nikon spys figured out ,superior canon R5R is near to be finished.
Their stradegists told if we release z6 and z7 after canon ,nobody buys them. they arent yet better than sony camera but if we release them now we get some good profit.
So they did . And now Canon was forced to released their new camera too ,to show peoples they are coming to mirrorless .
But new sensor and computers and phone wasnt finished and tested enough to be reliable.
so they just used old parts to new body.
maybe i got just too much imagination :p
Yep Its also possible that they didnt wanted put all profeccional camera things to it cause too near their real pro camera release .
Peoples might just been happy about excellent R camera.
what ever it is ,something good is happening soon cause canon wouldnt leave best model without 2nd card slot without good reason.

I think message they want give with R is . Look what we can do,we are serious with mirrorless.
But leaving important things off is warning . Dont buy this camera ,cause you feel cheated when lot better camera comes half year later .
Or rather dont waste money now,cause bit later you need LOT of it :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's an exceedingly modest prediction. Can't you do better than that! ;)

It bugs me that there wasn't even a modest attempt to update the camera. For example, why it would default to CF after having removed/inserted cards when the best performance is with CFast (CF=1, CFAST=2). I tried to get them to modify photo review so you coud go back over a sequence without first having to hit the shutter (you otherwise can only view the last shot). I somehow don't think the 1DX2 is very high prioritity and doubt if an new version will have much added.

Jack
I said dual CFast. It is implicit that it lacks CF slots.

Other things to expect is a better & more complicated AF system with more zones and focusing points. Hopefully it will be spread out to touch the edge of the image sensor frame.

A deeper buffer and more shots per second

Honestly, you cant improve the thing any further than what it is today.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
unfocused, it's pretty clear to me that anyone shooting jpg is simply using the photos as they are shot with perhaps cropping and that's it. In that scenario speed to market is really all they care about, and that understandable. There would be no pride in any of the usual areas that constitute a great photo because it's just a wow sports photo for sports fans.

Surely anyone who cares would shoot RAW and as you say basic adjustments are quick anyway.

Jack

Or they are submitting to one of the wire services that require images be shot as jpegs in-camera. Reuters, for instance.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Michael, of course one can not argue against that scenario. The thing is, many of us are ignorant of the reality of the world that some people live in.

Pape, I think from our outside vantage point these things seem to make sense but honestly I doubt they are true, although I would allow for an element of what you describe to exist. Competition does force some adjustments, we just don't know to what extent.

dolina, I'd also bet on dual CFast. My comments were in the realm of why we never got any modest firmware updates to improve on anything in the 1DX2, illustrated by two of my peeves.

You have to be careful in predicting things that are physically impossible such as a mirror camera having focus points similar to mirrorless. Unless there is some major breakthrough it isn't going to happen. Much like the trend to smaller integration - at some point there aren't enough electrons at the atomic level to allow further decreases and a different physical digital format not based on a transistor would be required. The law of diminishing returns takes over - think 8086 -> 486 computers and then Pentium, the pace had to slow and the focus had to shift.

I agree that there could/should be improvements in general in 1DX2 AF performance as computing speed and software/firmware implementation changes. I have this gut feeling that they are/will be abandoning anything exceedingly impressive as far as the 1DX is concerned, leaving it to simply become an historic museum piece. IOW, I don't expect a 1DX3 to be all that compelling for 1DX2 owners.:( Maybe a flippy screen ... nope. Lots more MP ... nope. Typical users don't want what some of us might want. That's my guess.

A very frustrating reality is that Canon won't put 1 level features into other cameras. It no longer makes sense to define a single pro 1 level camera. For example, there should be 1 level for high resolution and 1level for speed, both having illuminated focus points. Alternately, design the camera so it has large MP with a versatile crop mode so you have both speed and resolution available.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I'm not so gloomy on the prospect of the 1DX MkIII, I feel they could throw everything at it as a last hurrah.

I'd like:-
  1. 30MP
  2. Illuminated buttons
  3. Full touch screen
  4. Tilt/swivel screen
  5. Built in intavalometer
  6. Built in wireless
  7. 240fps 1080
  8. Same stills fps
  9. C-Log
  10. .CR3
  11. Much fuller wireless control
  12. Uncropped 4k
  13. Built in RT flash controller
  14. Dual pixel sub image RAW option
  15. Dual CFast
Don't know what we'll get but none of those are unachievable...

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm not so gloomy on the prospect of the 1DX MkIII, I feel they could throw everything at it as a last hurrah.

I'd like:-
  1. 30MP
  2. Illuminated buttons
  3. Full touch screen
  4. Tilt/swivel screen
  5. Built in intavalometer
  6. Built in wireless
  7. 240fps 1080
  8. Same stills fps
  9. C-Log
  10. .CR3
  11. Much fuller wireless control
  12. Uncropped 4k
  13. Built in RT flash controller
  14. Dual pixel sub image RAW option
  15. Dual CFast
Don't know what we'll get but none of those are unachievable...

Well in that case poor old me would revise my plans and buy one! It really disappointed me to have had 20 MP and then move to a new 1DX2 with 20 MP. Of course I wasn't alone on that I know.;) My compensation was coupling it with the 400 DO II X2 III and that breathed in knew life since AF has been good and 14 FPS has been great and 800mm is fine for birds.

Jack

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Well in that case poor old me would revise my plans and buy one! It really disappointed me to have had 20 MP and then move to a new 1DX2 with 20 MP. Of course I wasn't alone on that I know.;) My compensation was coupling it with the 400 DO II X2 III and that breathed in knew life since AF has been good and 14 FPS has been great and 800mm is fine for birds.

Jack

I would be ok with 30MP as long as it is not the 5d4 type sensor. I felt as if I was able to get more range in my edits from my 1dx2 than I was from a 5d4.

Upvote 0
The 1D X was introduced in Q2 of 2012. The first copies were available in time for the 2012 Summer Olympics, which ran from July 27-August 12.

The 1D-X Mark II was introduced in Q1 of 2016, in time for the 2016 Summer Games, which ran from August 5-21.

That's just less than four years, not almost five.
1D X was announced in October 2011, so specs were pretty much given by then, no matter when it became commercially available. So from October 2011 till Feburary 2016 (announcement of the 1D-X II) its a 4 and a half years long time span. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
1D X was announced in October 2011, so specs were pretty much given by then, no matter when it became commercially available. So from October 2011 till Feburary 2016 (announcement of the 1D-X II) its a 4 and a half years long time span. Is that correct?

Whatever the cause of the delay between the announcement in late 2011 and the first availability of camera bodies in Q2 of 2012, development of the 1D X Mark II probably did not start in earnest until the issues holding up the production of the 1D X were resolved.

Part of it was Canon's tendency back in 2011-12 to announce new products several months before anticipated availability. By 2016, Canon had a adopted much shorter lead times between official new product announcements and release dates.

Upvote 0
Does any manufacturer have in-body automated AFMA? Or in the works? Put a lens on, point at a target and let the camera do the rest? That would be a great feature until mirrorless actually is fast enough to take on the work of a 1D X level of performance.
It would be awesome but I feel like this won’t be something we get since the Dslr is being abandoned for mirror less cameras that don’t need AFMA

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, I am not so interested (yet) in the EOS R as I think Canon technology is not yet so mature. I am more interest in a replacement of the EOS 5D Mark IV possible.
I am wondering if anything think that by April 2020 anything concrete will appear in shops (I mean ready to buy, NOT just rumors or announcement for later release).
Thanks in advance.
Andrea

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Canon really has communication problems. They just told us « look at this amazing lense system it’s the future » and got us excited about it, just to say right after « oh by the way forget about getting a pro camera before next cycle - which is around 4 years ». Sure. I’m happy now.
Canon didn't say anything right after. You read it on an unverified rumor site.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi all, I am not so interested (yet) in the EOS R as I think Canon technology is not yet so mature. I am more interest in a replacement of the EOS 5D Mark IV possible.
I am wondering if anything think that by April 2020 anything concrete will appear in shops (I mean ready to buy, NOT just rumors or announcement for later release).
Thanks in advance.
Andrea
OK , so where are the clairvoyants in our group when we need them?! ;) I can recall one who makes great claims but they never materialize. :(

Jack

Upvote 0