The manual for the Canon EOS RP is now available for your reading pleasure

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I haven't found any information about setting the IS effectivity (lens and myself) for Av mode

One example of my problem:
M50 chooses 1/250 sec @200mm with the EF 70-200 IS f/4 before it cranks up the ISO (IS is on) I would prefer that you can set maybe 3 stops IS effectivity to let it go to 1/30 sec before it cranks up ISO. - Or more general 3 stops below 1/<focal length * 1.25> or so.

Does anyone of you know a camera where you have control over such a setting?

I’m not sure what the M50 has for modes and dials but on my 6D I would shoot in Manual, select Auto ISO, leave it at f/4 and use my dial to control shutter. Of course this assumes you intend to leave the aperture alone.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m not sure what the M50 has for modes and dials but on my 6D I would shoot in Manual, select Auto ISO, leave it at f/4 and use my dial to control shutter. Of course this assumes you intend to leave the aperture alone.

Canon has a feature in their flagship lines where you can set how auto-iso interacts with shutter speed. I which the M50 had that, 1/60s doesn't work to well for pictures of my 2 year old with the 32mm at f1.4, 1/160s or faster is needed.
So I use your trick of using M mode :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Spend 30 minutes to read an you will understand that eos rp is a all around better camera then 6d and 6d2...more customizable camera...better af system...
The only downside i see is battery and top dislplay.
Once you set your buttons... I think this camera can be a faster user interface.
I set up every camera only for Av and M mode...iso manual or auto ( in Av you can set the limit shutter speed and a iso range) and after you play only with exposure compensation. Huge speed up interface.
I use 6d and the only buttons that i use are back af, iso button, drive mode, shutter speed (in M mode) and kelvins for WB.
If this camera will have 13 stops DR thanks to the new digic 8...for the money... I think this will be the best afordable ff camera.
Hope that rp will have grip and converter included in package.
A do weddings as a pro photographer and i hesitate to by R or 5d4.
Single point af it's not a deal breacker. Stop complaining...we have now a more robust af and quality overall at the same price like 6d when was first anounce.
Here is an examole of 6d with 35 f2 is usm downsized at 2 megapixels.
We must learn how to drive the camere... Not camera to drive us.
Yes...technology can help you but in the end...you metter more.
Did you know that in manual flash 6d can sync at 1/200 (no hss) with no problem and the specs give 1/180?

Attachments

• _MG_6976.JPG
    _MG_6976.JPG
    708.3 KB · Views: 264
  • Ioana & Vlad TTD-181.jpg
    Ioana & Vlad TTD-181.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 240
  • WD Alexandra & Vlad 01.09.2018 mobile-1805.JPG
    WD Alexandra & Vlad 01.09.2018 mobile-1805.JPG
    952.8 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
With the R you can simply set the lowest shutter (and higher)speed you want in Av with Auto ISO. I ALWAYS set a desired lower shutter speed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
With the R you can simply set the lowest shutter (and higher)speed you want in Av with Auto ISO. I ALWAYS set a desired lower shutter speed.

That’s cool, I don’t suppose it rembers setings lens to lens, does it? I should pull out the 6D manual to see if I already have this feature. I had a steep learning curve as the 6D was my first foray into non-auto photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That’s cool, I don’t suppose it rembers setings lens to lens, does it? I should pull out the 6D manual to see if I already have this feature. I had a steep learning curve as the 6D was my first foray into non-auto photography.
Not sure, but I have that setting on My Menu and change it independently of lens, I change it to what i shoot.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
603 pages. Instant fail, as far as I'm concerned.

But more than that, the cameras are doing too much and are unnecessarily complicated to use.

I imagine you are of the minority that says the manual says too much, and esp. that the camera does too much. Not a dig by any means, just completely opposite of the masses that say this camera doesn't do enough.

Upvote 0

I understand - but you use M mode.

I use Av mode because it is a good automatic mode for slow moving subjects where you control the aperture as the dominant variable for the image while the rest is selected automatically. The M50 has only one control dial so M mode is not very comfortable and the matrix exposure measurement is very good in modern cameras so I omitted spot measurement.
And if you use single shot AF I think the M50 has AF point linked exposure control: Setting the AF point to a darker object lifts the exposure to the correct value!

Upvote 0
[...] I'm not the slightest bit interested in using the manual as a reference. I want to read the manual once from start to end to understand how to use the camera and then never bother with the manual again.

I suspect there may be people who like to mine gadgets for "exciting" new features, but I'm not one of them, and I want a camera to be simple to operate.

Ah, o.k. I understand - that is a totally different way than my procedures with modern cameras which are, and that's a sad thing in my opinion, fat in terms of features. On the other way I understand the camera manufacturers cannot produce MY SPECIAL camera so they have to obeye a lot of different user types.
Canon does well with the custom menues where you are free to configure and name them. A workaround but it works. My dream is a camera where you can design a complete menu layout on a PC and download it to the camera. Give the camera three additional menu "banks" for your personal menues and leave always access to the standard menu. Memory chips are dirty cheap. But I think it will be a dream because such a "Menu creator" software isn't easy to program if everything must finally work together on a tool (the camera).

In my case I initially look, if a cameras has the basic features I need for my type of photography. I order it and than I check later during photography if settings are possible. By digging into the menu or by searching in a PDF document.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Spend 30 minutes to read an you will understand that eos rp is a all around better camera then 6d and 6d2...more customizable camera...better af system...
The only downside i see is battery and top dislplay.
Once you set your buttons... I think this camera can be a faster user interface.
I set up every camera only for Av and M mode...iso manual or auto ( in Av you can set the limit shutter speed and a iso range) and after you play only with exposure compensation. Huge speed up interface.
I use 6d and the only buttons that i use are back af, iso button, drive mode, shutter speed (in M mode) and kelvins for WB.
If this camera will have 13 stops DR thanks to the new digic 8...for the money... I think this will be the best afordable ff camera.
Hope that rp will have grip and converter included in package.
A do weddings as a pro photographer and i hesitate to by R or 5d4.
Single point af it's not a deal breacker. Stop complaining...we have now a more robust af and quality overall at the same price like 6d when was first anounce.
Here is an examole of 6d with 35 f2 is usm downsized at 2 megapixels.
We must learn how to drive the camere... Not camera to drive us.
Yes...technology can help you but in the end...you metter more.
Did you know that in manual flash 6d can sync at 1/200 (no hss) with no problem and the specs give 1/180?

The DIGIC 8 processor will not have any impact on the DR. DR is inherent in the sensor, No amount of processing will change it.

Upvote 0
It does not support 1080 at ~24FPS only at ~30FPS - according to a just released hand-on preview by Jared Polin at Froknowsphoto.com (search it on youtube). He makes it clear that (even though it's a 30 minute video) the video is not a review of the camera but a preview only. He is disappointed by Canon's continued designed-constraints in their video capabilities in their EOS DSLR and SLR (mirrorless) cameras. But his impression of the feel, use, and stills capabilities of the camera are very good. With video capability more designed for the "mom & pop shooters capturing the kiddos" (my paraphrase) rather than as a second ("B", or even "C") body for serious video shooters.

Jared and many other youtubers just does not know how Canon cameras work. If you switch over to PAL you get 25 and 50 fps, see at 6:44

Upvote 0