Canon EOS-1D X Mark III field testing has begun [CR2]

There's little chance that they could get a 1DX level R body out before the games, and even less chance that they could get photographers to switch. A comprehensive selection of R sports lenses won't be there either.
Sony appears to have done that with their A9. Canon has at least 2 more RF bodies to release within 17 months.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
24 mp might be a bit too conservative even for the 1Dx line, 28-30 mp might be more likely. Autofocus should be where they concentrate their improvements (I expect to see an improved autofocus introduced with the 7dIII, as well) The market for the 1Dx series is conservative -- pros who want rock solid reliability and no surprises. Improvements will be incremental. They will add full touch screen, wifi and up the frame rate a notch. This won't be the last 1Dx DSLR, but there may be a 1Dx R introduced in about three years that will be sold alongside the DSLR for at least another generation. Pro 1Dx users will likely be the last group to move to mirrorless (if indeed they ever do). Canon will keep making and selling DSLRs as long as the demand is there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the sensors are newer die shrunk layers behind the sensor layer the readout should be much faster. If they've gone elsewhere with manufacturing their digic 9 chipsets faster computations and clock speeds can make a big difference.

The tracking tests for the R show that while it shoots slow, the focus is nearly perfect with the shots it foes manage to capture. What seems to be needed more than anything is just more raw speed of said processing.

Faster computations coupled with improved tracking algorithms. It is the only way to do it!

Upvote 0
There's little chance that they could get a 1DX level R body out before the games, and even less chance that they could get photographers to switch. A comprehensive selection of R sports lenses won't be there either.

We may see both a Pro Canon EOS R and a Canon EF 1D MK 3, with Canon's aggressive schedule of lenses we probably see the fast short focal primes 1.2 - 1.4, f2.8 and f4's up to 200mm and possibly a RF 100-400 f3.5 - f5.6. Anything above that will still be an excellent EF prime lens used with their excellent adaptors.

Be hard to get users to dump their large prime EF lenses for RF equivalents where they may want to use them both on EF Pro bodies and also on Mirror EOS R bodies.

We probably see a similar approach to above from Nikon as well.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
...with Canon's aggressive schedule of lenses we probably see the fast short focal primes 1.2 - 1.4, f2.8 and f4's up to 200mm and possibly a RF 100-400 f3.5 - f5.6.

...Be hard to get users to dump their large prime EF lenses for RF equivalents where they may want to use them both on EF Pro bodies and also on Mirror EOS R bodies.

That's where the potential 1dx Mk? magic may happen. With the RF design, Canon could rebuild (over the LONG term) a lot of these go-to telephoto lenses like the 300, 400, 600, 200-400, etc... with less weight and be shorter OR potentially even larger max apertures (instead of making the lens smaller). Could they make a 200-400L at f 2.8 with the RF design? Dunno. Might try. Or make the 200-400 f4 smaller and lighter.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
If this is out in 2020, which seems will be the case, then it’s good until 2023, maybe late in the year. So it should be the last of its line. If Canon can’t get a true pro mirrorless out before then, it will be a real problem. If they do, it likely won’t be this year. Again, maybe in 2020. Then, it will be elegable for an update in 2023. That would mean the second gen for that at the same time the life of the 1D might be ready to expire.

The timing will be just right. Announce the discontinuation of the 1D, and the introduction of the second gen mirrorless Pro model at the same time.

I imagine that Pro glass for the R mount will be in excellent supply by then, going by what’s already announced for this year. The very longest lenses can linger for a couple more years beyond that.

Upvote 0
Its fair to say then...that there's no Eos 1dr coming anytime soon then. If the next high frame rate pro camera is a 1DXIII DSLR....it's safe to say that EF is here for while....especially at the top end of the market...it's an accuracy thing and that sports and wildlife shooters want an optical viewfinder. I think it's also fair to say that the reports of a pro R coming are probably a high resolution 5DSR replacement that's being ported to the Rf mount....so it'll be a low frame rate camera and not the kind of "Pro" many readers were thinking.
I think it's safe to say that the 1Dx and 5D range will stay EF for some time to come. The Rf mount will be pro...but probably sitting along side EF for a long while until Canon can make the software driven dual pixel AF match the 1DxII's capabilities. Until then...pro-sumer / photo journalists only.

Upvote 0
It shows they can't yet make a true heavy duty pro mirrorless yet. That is smart seeing that unless the pro mirrorless hits it out of the ball park, to go with what works. And with all the new pro/long EF lenses just introduced this makes a lot of sense.
I am still cheering for a pro level mirrorless like the 5D or D850 sooner than later.
Once that happens I will upgrade my old 7D.
You've made a good point here. No one in their right mind will replace a 1DxII with something that's not as competent. So the Rf Pro (1Dr?) would need to be sufficiently better for a working pro to chop in their great whites and Pro DSLR's. Canon can't make a half baked Pro Rf...they have to literally knock it out of the park and into orbit to generate the competitive need to chop formats. I'm guessing Canon already have worked that out and are waiting until they have cracked that particular nut in a major way....in the mean time...oh...here's an Rp...it's very nice...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Could they make a 200-400L at f 2.8 with the RF design? Dunno. Might try.

No because the focal ratio is still determined by the *effective* telephoto focal length, not the physical length. So even if an RF lens reduced the physical length by 20mm, that wouldn't reduce the size of the front element.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
24 mp might be a bit too conservative even for the 1Dx line, 28-30 mp might be more likely. Autofocus should be where they concentrate their improvements (I expect to see an improved autofocus introduced with the 7dIII, as well) The market for the 1Dx series is conservative -- pros who want rock solid reliability and no surprises.

I think it all hinges on how capable Canon is able to make the dual pixel focus, and what impact that has on sensor quality. (missing pixels for the AF sensors, heat, electrical noise) That's also going to drive whether an R 5Dsr-ish body appears, as we don't know how small the dual pixel AF sensels can be with good performance, or whether sales volume can justify a new revision of that body. Otherwise a high rez studio body seems like something that'd show off the new top tier glass and be used for things where accuracy is more important than AF speed which also seems to be a good fit.
For the new 1D, I expect Canon will try to put the very best sensor AF in whichever body they'd like to be the last 1D. That way 1D buyers will see the AF performance for themselves and either be comfortable with switching or give Canon feedback in time for Canon to adjust before releasing a 1D/R body.
Still though, why the hell is the viewfinder lined up over the lens on a mirrorless? Move that damn thing to the edge like a range finder so my nose has room, dammit. Every time I move back to landscape that annoys me with an SLR, so why continue with a mirrorless?!? Don't make new bodies look like SLRs, make them ergonomic! /rant (I guess this is just my pet peeve, but still - why compromise comfort? Make it look like classic Canon rangefinder if you must have it look like a film camera...)

Upvote 0
EOS R is not a revolution sensor wise. Now all the above are welcome additions but a higher resolution (say 24Mp ) with even better performance at low and high iso would be perfect :)
That's certainly true. I think all of the Eos R and Rp's R&D budget went on the mount and dual pixel AF...it's pretty obvious that Canon went parts raiding for their sensor!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
They have already said the EOS R series are not replacements for the DSLRs. Some people prefer optical viewfinders & you can certainly see the difference between the 5D series and the EOS R being much shaper optically (I certainly noticed this as good as the EOS electronic finder is its not up to an optical finder).
Some people still prefer the larger size. Ive also found some things similar and others very different & for the first time in years I have to think about using the EOS R over any of my DSLRs.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
"We’re told that the follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II has begun field testing with a very small number of photographers and/or engineers."

I'm sure someone here has a feel for the average lead time of a Canon pro model field test to announcement / release. What would that be? 9 months? A year?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
If the sensors are newer die shrunk layers behind the sensor layer the readout should be much faster. If they've gone elsewhere with manufacturing their digic 9 chipsets faster computations and clock speeds can make a big difference.

The tracking tests for the R show that while it shoots slow, the focus is nearly perfect with the shots it foes manage to capture. What seems to be needed more than anything is just more raw speed of said processing.
the last couple of 1Ds had dual processors or the most powerful types at the moment. that helped make the cameras faster.

Upvote 0