New major firmware for the Canon EOS R should arrive soon

Jan 29, 2011
Sorry for being OT, but didn’t want a new thread for this.

Is anyone else annoyed, and hoping for a firmware fix, by the fact that when shooting with flash and disabling Exposure Simulation the camera still simulates the selected WB?

In other words, is it seriously meant to simulate 5600K even when shooting under tungsten with flash?
Don't all Canon cameras default to 5,500ºK when they detect a Canon flash?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Don't all Canon cameras default to 5,500ºK when they detect a Canon flash?

Yeah, no the issue is that when I use flash and for example 5600K, when under tungsten and looking through the EVF it’s dark orange because the flash wb is way different than indoor lights.

My wish is that the evf would show a neutral white balanced video feed rather than simulating the 5600K, after all it’s only the 1/20.000s moment where the flash goes off it’s correct...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yeah, no the issue is that when I use flash and for example 5600K, when under tungsten and looking through the EVF it’s dark orange because the flash wb is way different than indoor lights.

My wish is that the evf would show a neutral white balanced video feed rather than simulating the 5600K, after all it’s only the 1/20.000s moment where the flash goes off it’s correct...

This is something that I have asked for with my other brand mirrorless. With all the customizing options available I think this should be one.

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
You know, despite all the negative press the R received I keep coming back to it as a great potential backup/secondary camera to my 5D IV. I mean, it takes the same battery, has nearly the same sensor, costs less, takes up less space, is lighter... I do think there is a really nice niche there.
Same sensor, better processor! I agree, though not a perfect replacement for a 5d IV, I find it to be much better than everyone had thought it would be with the negative vocalizations and negative press... So far I like it, I'm hoping that once I've acclimated myself to it and the system, that I'll love it... Hope springs eternal! lol..

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
In the next update of the firmware Canon definitely should not forget about enabling "Eye Detection AF" in "SERVO AF" mode.

Why? Because "Eye Detection AF" in "SERVO AF" mode works better than in "ONE SHOT" mode which is clearly visible in fragments from 3:55 and from 11:58.

By the way. Six months ago I asked Canon USA in a comments section under this video about some feature availability:

Me:
There is A LOT options in this camera which can be customized, definitely more than in any Canon DSLR camera. Proper customization for a specific user takes a lot of time. One day camera can be damaged in some way (which I do not wish anyone) and when will be repaired at authorized service center all your customized options could be lost, on example when motherboard will be replaced.

So I have a simple question. Can I save my customization settings also to SD card like in EOS C200 camera?

This quote is from Canon EOS C200 instruction manual:

"Saving and Loading Camera Settings

After you adjust settings in the various menus, you can save those settings in the camera or on SD card B. You can load those settings at a later date or on another C200 / C200B camera so that you can use that camera in the exact same way."

Canon USA:
Hi there! It is not possible to save camera settings to a memory card like can be done with the EOS C200. We hope this answers your question.

:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0