Canon EOS R firmware version 1.2.0 announced

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
SO with the news of the likely addition of ProResRAW to the EOS R .... wonder if it is THIS firmware to be released in mid April... or are we thinking an announcement for yet another update a month later? Would seem weird to have two firmware updates a couple weeks apart

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
I still don’t get the hype about eye-af as face detect just works, but I LOVE new firmwares even if they “corrects a typo in the Magyar menu. So new features is very cool!
Imagine capturing the moment shooting at 1.4 with moving subjects only to find in post that face detect delivered sharp focus on the nose, forehead, cheek etc. Accurate eye-af is a game changing technology for many photographers. Sony claims to have developed eye AF for wildlife which could be remarkable. Canon really needs to catch up.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Imagine capturing the moment shooting at 1.4 with moving subjects only to find in post that face detect delivered sharp focus on the nose, forehead, cheek etc. Accurate eye-af is a game changing technology for many photographers. Sony claims to have developed eye AF for wildlife which could be remarkable. Canon really needs to catch up.
Imagine completely missing the point of someone's post. Reading comprehension is really game changing. djack41 really needs to catch up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I quite literally addressed all your concerns except maybe wildlife eye AF, however, I still manage to get both birds and cats eyes in focus, at f1.2, imagine that...

After so many comments like yours I at least know not to trust Sony’s face detect (y)

Upvote 0
Yet another minor update. Wasn't there a rumor about a major firmware update which would introduce new features?

@Viggo: Canon doesn't even get its eye AF right. Some people pointed out, it focusses on eyelashes instead of the retina. I love my R but it really bugs me that Canon seems to loose grip and trail behind new innovations. If I want to focus on my dogs eyes I have to manually put a focus point on them.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yet another minor update. Wasn't there a rumor about a major firmware update which would introduce new features?

@Viggo: Canon doesn't even get its eye AF right. Some people pointed out, it focusses on eyelashes instead of the retina. I love my R but it really bugs me that Canon seems to loose grip and trail behind new innovations. If I want to focus on my dogs eyes I have to manually put a focus point on them.
No, it doesn’t focus on lashes, see my example earlier.

And why oh why does people buy Canon and come here and b!tch about all things wrong with them?

Why aren’t you over at SonyRumors with your A7 rIII enjoying everything that is soo excellent? I don’t get it...

Sony came “with the biggest update yet” now, with “help” option in the menus and option to remove AF options, guess which brand has had that for ages... and an auto option between eye af etc... wohoo..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am no professional - just an enthusiast who spends most of my time shooting wildlife.. When I sold my wonderful 1D X it was primarily to go mirrorless for the weight saving and so I did not have to drag my XA20 camcorder around as well. I was well aware there were sacrifices to be made and even better brand options for my type of shooting, but the cost of switching was just too high.

However the more I use this camera , so slandered by sooo many, the more I smile as I really see the value this camera is delivering - screen drag AF is the best change I have seen for years, low light focusing and exposure, stunning colours, so many features that help customise to your personal preferences etc. etc. Its not perfect but I for one am stunned on what this new RF system will allow ahead and how my past lens investments continue to deliver quality images and some aspects are even enhanced - using full range AF with extenders, adapters with brilliant filter features that can be used across so many lenses etc. etc.

In summary if Canon move on firmware as the other brands appear to be forcing them to do, we will all be winners ahead - the small form block with servo AF will be a real boost for me - now if only the two changes could be at the 8fps high speed option...... (but that's probably beyond this models processing capability).

Still at the end of the day my ugly duckling is blossoming and if you have seen some of the recent professional videos using the EOS R such as Jason Laniers Death Valley shoot you would probably agree with me that the real improvement that 98% of us need is on the use of what we already have!

Upvote 0
When you go to the menu to enable Silent Shutter and arrow down to “Activate”, the text comes up.

Thanks found it.

It is however correct. It says that silent shooting can't be used with Low speed continuous shooting. It can be used with High speed continuous shooting. The three boxes icon without an H in them means low speed continuous shooting.

If silent shooting is enabled, you can't actually select low speed burst mode from the quick menu. It is greyed out.

:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks found it.

It is however correct. It says that silent shooting can't be used with Low speed continuous shooting. It can be used with High speed continuous shooting. The three boxes icon without an H in them means low speed continuous shooting.

If silent shooting is enabled, you can't actually select low speed burst mode from the quick menu. It is greyed out.

:)
Ah (y) Thanks! I overlooked that ..

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I still don't know why we can't just do low speed continuous with silent shutter. I normally leave the camera on low speed continuous, as it's slow enough that if I want to just take one photo, I can easily just let up on the shutter button before it takes another photo. And it still allows me the flexibility to hold it down and fire off more shots.

But then if I want to change to silent, I have to fool around with changing the shooting mode first. :mad:

There is no logical reason why we can't just have low and high speed continuous in silent mode!

Upvote 0