The 2020 RF lens roadmap, up to 8 new lenses coming in 2020

Aug 26, 2015
For some/a lot: yes.
For me: never.
Such do-it-all zooms are an all compromize:
not small, not bright, not great in IQ.
I guess there is a reason why the 16-35/2.8 24-70/2.8 (or 24-105/4) 70-200/2.8 trio are still the ones being used the most in the photojournalistic field. The present and upcoming RF lenses are looking to cover this very well.
But sometimes getting any kind of shot with a single combination is just more important (convenient)
and for the most part, lenses are getting better and better (or less bad).

The Sony FE 24-240 is actually a usable lens within its limitations (I don't want to link that photographer but he shows it)
and this newer Canon RF equivalent should be at least as good.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Very few, if any, lenses ever made have taken "full advantage" of their respective mount designs.

Source? Not saying you’re wrong, I’d just like more information because you bring up an interesting idea. Are you referring to the theoretical maximum aperture allowed by the mount design?

Upvote 0
Exactly.

I made a special trip to check out the R, RP, Z6, Z7, A7ii, A7iii, EM10 and EM5 mark II at a Best Buy, and all the EVFs stink badly except the EM5 Mark II. And that one is only marginal.

No way in the world I'd shoot with any of them until someone makes a usable EVF for high-speed moving subjects in difficult light.

Take a look at the Panasonic S1R. I’ve been shooting it for a couple weeks. At 120 refresh rate, it’s like looking through glass.

Just waiting for ef adapter now.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I don't believe that Tilt-shift lenses are big sellers, so lower cost lenses should be a priority. Low sales has not stopped Canon from releasing some expensive RF sellers so far though.

Canon didn't release sub-$1,000 FF lenses since the 24-28-35mm upgrade in '12, so I don't expect cheap RF lenses.

Upvote 0
I see Canon going the same way Nokia did in the mobile market.

We need a great mirrorless body to match the great lenses and they are simply taking far too long to release a pro EOSR.
"Too long" to release a pro camera is relative to the user. Too long for you may not be too long for others, and it certainly doesn't seem to be too long for Canon. I'm content waiting a while longer because there's nothing wrong with my 5D IV and I honestly don't think I can blame even one missed shot on the camera. Canon has said they'll take their time to get it right, and frankly I believe that's the right choice. I can wait, and despite the doom and gloom from camera reviewers, Canon as a company seems to be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Like a 50mm 1.2 that is bigger and heavier than the EF one
It is bigger because it is optically better controlled, so its design needed more glass. I have and like the EF 50mm 1.2, in particular because it is quite compact and can deliver a nice bokeh. But optically it is definitely on the vintage side, including sometimes more softness wide open than I'd love to have. It was clear that Canon had to come up with an up-to-date design with the RF version. On the other side, the RF is clean and perfect but does not have this old school character of the old EF version...

Upvote 0