Shutter count 1DX2

Hello Guys

I have owned my 1dx2 since july 2016, and recently had it serviced and also the PCB x 2 replaced at CPS here in Australia, i decided tonight to check the Shutter count, now im no pro - photog, i use it maybe once a week and during the winter months i shoot the junior league and surf shoots when its good theroiught out the year, usually around 130 frames each weekend , thinkig over the last 3 years id have around 60K or less shutter count, it tells me im sitting at 278714 , ive done the maths and on average that'd be approx 7,742 frames a month, im sorry but being a builder as a job and only using this camera 2 days a week if that im a little bit stunned at the shutter count, so could it be a camera fault perhaps ?

Cheers Darren

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Darren if you're shooting as modestly as you say, 130 frames every weekend, that shutter count does sound high. However, any sporting event I shoot would typically be a few thousand frames, most sports shooters would report similar usage. Are you sure you've got your numbers right? In any case, 1 Series bodies can take as much as you're likely to throw at them. My 1DX is performing like new at over 600K frames. Previous 1D Mk4, 1D MkIIn and an original 1Ds all clocked close to a million before being traded.

-pw

Upvote 0
Darren if you're shooting as modestly as you say, 130 frames every weekend, that shutter count does sound high. However, any sporting event I shoot would typically be a few thousand frames, most sports shooters would report similar usage. Are you sure you've got your numbers right? In any case, 1 Series bodies can take as much as you're likely to throw at them. My 1DX is performing like new at over 600K frames. Previous 1D Mk4, 1D MkIIn and an original 1Ds all clocked close to a million before being traded.

-pw

Hey Bud,

100% mate , i roughtly shoot one kids league match for 60 minutes, i down load around 130 frames, every sunday, if i shoot surfig for an hour if its good over here , theres another 100, now league only goes for 5 months , id be lucky if that to shoot 15K a year if that , ive downloaded all photos into my macbook pro, and ive got roughly 15K of edited photos , given editing time alone and my day job (non photographic) id be lucky to shoot and edit 300 photos a week. Somethings not right here at all. im 100% on my numbers mate.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Its likely that the PCB board that you received as a replacement did not have the shutter count reset. Replacement PCB's are usually refurbished ones, and often done by a 3rd party company. If someone at Canon tried to restore your shutter count after the PCB replacement, they might have erroneously added a extra digit.

In either event, contact Canon and ask them for a solution.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Darren.
First off, is the 1Dx one of the cameras that counts live view and picture taken as separate actions, and/or is this a total actuations count, live view can be quite an impact for some of us!
Second, I would ask CPS if they can explain the apparent jump in count. Do they perhaps repair, refurb boards and reuse? Could someone have done this to cut a corner?
It is a shame we don’t think to get a verified shutter count before service as that would prevent this kind of query.
If you actually have ‘roughly 15k of edited photos’ have you kept every shot or have you culled and deleted the misses, etc?
I doubt this would add up to the 200k mark but it could give a substantial increase to the number.
As an example I shot the Goodwood Members Meeting recently, I know that on the Sunday I took about 1300 shots, due to the fact that I was doing slow panning which is easy to screw up I have about 100-150 shots left after culling, somewhere about a 90% loss rate! My shutter count is significantly higher than my saved photos!
I hope you get to the bottom of this, it would be frustrating to have this feeling that something inappropriate may have happened.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Hi Darren.
First off, is the 1Dx one of the cameras that counts live view and picture taken as separate actions, and/or is this a total actuations count, live view can be quite an impact for some of us!
Second, I would ask CPS if they can explain the apparent jump in count. Do they perhaps repair, refurb boards and reuse? Could someone have done this to cut a corner?
It is a shame we don’t think to get a verified shutter count before service as that would prevent this kind of query.
If you actually have ‘roughly 15k of edited photos’ have you kept every shot or have you culled and deleted the misses, etc?
I doubt this would add up to the 200k mark but it could give a substantial increase to the number.
As an example I shot the Goodwood Members Meeting recently, I know that on the Sunday I took about 1300 shots, due to the fact that I was doing slow panning which is easy to screw up I have about 100-150 shots left after culling, somewhere about a 90% loss rate! My shutter count is significantly higher than my saved photos!
I hope you get to the bottom of this, it would be frustrating to have this feeling that something inappropriate may have happened.

Cheers, Graham.

Many thanks Graham, ive spoke and emailed CPS this morning their ait confused on this as well, anyway they will get back to me at some stage today, and hopefully i can update what has caused this.

Upvote 0