A Canon RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM is on the way [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve previously reported that Canon will be introducing an RF 500mm f/4L IS USM as their first super telephoto lens for the RF mount.
Now we’re hearing that an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM will also be launching sometime in 2020, and the source has claimed that this lens will come with a “new and unique” feature for super telephoto lenses, unfortunately, no details about this were given.
I think we’re going to see a lot more professional lens announcements in 2020 for the RF mount.
The source did clarify that new versions of the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II and EF 500mm f/4L IS II aren’t in the plans for Canon.

Continue reading...

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
Just curious, when this happens is it because the source doesn't know of the new feature, or they don't want to tell you about it?

the source has claimed that this lens will come with a “new and unique” feature for super telephoto lenses, unfortunately, no details about this were given.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe collapsible?
You might be on to something there.

Canon's designers obviously feel that extendable lenses are fine for R mount L lenses like the new design on the 70-200 RF. Maybe a mechanism to extend and lock into place and collapse again when stowing away? There will be plenty of people who will whine about durability, but with a substantially different method of focusing using pdaf the mechanism being very slightly off over time might not make as much of a difference provided the camera can determine this and adjust.

It also might win converts to the system for the small and light argument (although i dunno how light it would be)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
These threads are like when a child gets told Santa is going to bring them something nice and that's it.

Speaking of retractable, I wonder why that monster hood which ends up reversed over the lens by fiddling with a knob couldn't just slide back into that location. Of course that still leaves the clumsy lens cover to deal with.

Jack

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
These threads are like when a child gets told Santa is going to bring them something nice and that's it.

Speaking of retractable, I wonder why that monster hood which ends up reversed over the lens by fiddling with a knob couldn't just slide back into that location. Of course that still leaves the clumsy lens cover to deal with.

Jack
Like the first version of the 200 2.8? That could be cool.

Upvote 0

lenspacker

Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Sep 7, 2018
the new RF 2,8 300 has the problem, that it doesn`t fit on my EOS 1DX II - but my old EOS EF 2,8 300 fits on the new R-line with an adapter.So if I have a fail with the R-line body, I shoot my sports furthermore with my 1dxII and the old 2,8 300 - but this is impossible with a r-line lens...

Upvote 0