Dragonflies and Damselflies

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wanted to compare the 5DSR and 5DIV + 100-400mm II for speed of focus acquisition and managed to get some better shots of an Emperor in flight. It was rather frustrating as dragonflies don't hang around. I think the 5DSR is slower to lock on but when it does, it hangs in there. I used the central 9 focussing points, and 1/3200s. The top one is from the 5DIV at 3m, the bottom two from the 5DSR, with the first at 4m and the second at 7m. The closer they are, the more difficult it is to get both the head and tail in focus and the camera body has to be absolutely parallel to the dragonfly body. These are much closer than the one in the last posting and so much more detailed.

2B4A0731-DxO_emperor_dragonfly_flying_VVl.jpg3Q7A2714-DxO_emperor_dragonfly_flying_VL.jpg3Q7A2628-DxO_emperor_dragonfly_flying_VS-ls.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Excellent shots Alan! You can use bit smaller aperture with 5d4 if not minding bigger iso. I followed one patrolling brown hawker like 10min but didnt got any shots. Moving ones arent easy to shoot. Looks like you shoot lot on europe.i believe different kind of species on north america
It was very bright today so I could have gone to f/8 - f/11, but I quite like keeping the iso low and the speed high..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0