Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II announcements coming at the end of August

Apr 25, 2011
Let's restate that, RF mirrorless equivalent immediately.
Not feasible. RF "equivalent" of 90D would cost 1.5x-2x as much, not including the difference in the lens costs. If 90D were a flop, its RF "equivalent" would be too.

"Focus" is not the same as "create".
Where did you find that "focus"?

Upvote 0
I hope this 90D will be a major flop for Canon, forcing them to create a mirrorless equivalent immediately.
I don't know, if they mess up the 90D after so much time in development, the last thing I want them to do is smash out a mirrorless version as quickly as possible. Rushing rarely results in great products, but often results in monumental failures.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Bleh. If they can mass market a FF camera at US $1300 (EOS RP) they sure as hell can make a decent 7D Mark III.

I'll stick with my 7DM2 for as long as I can.

This forum has documented lots of you guys are still using the original 7D every day, either for work or pleasure. My anecdotal experience confirms this.

Stepping down to a 90D does not seem like a wise choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I don't know, if they mess up the 90D after so much time in development, the last thing I want them to do is smash out a mirrorless version as quickly as possible. Rushing rarely results in great products, but often results in monumental failures.

If past versions are any indicator, then sensor and DIGIC will likely be same in both M6 II and 90D. And both were certainly NOT rushed, but are due for quite some time now.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
why not wait for specs?

in reply to

Why wait for specs, canonical? Do you expect the 90D to match or even surpass the 7D Mk II as an action camera?

You cannot realistically expect that Canon will deliver a camera named xxD and priced at around USD 1400.00 to be as good an action camera as a camera from the xD-series that had a higher introduction price of around USD1700,00 in 2014?
If anything, Canon will not do this even if they could! If the 90D would outperform the 7D Mk II it would then Canon would give it a name in the xD series (not in the xxD-series) for the simple reason that these sell at a higher price level.

And knowing Canon, the 90D will not even match the 7D Mk II in important areas. Don't forget a mirrorless action camera is on the way, no doubt - perhaps even a cropped sensor body. Canon does not want to raise the bar too high for their first step in this area, and therefore alone the 90D will not be comparable to the 7D Mk II.

I have no doubt that the 90D will turn out to be a potent all-rounder and will also have nice performance for action photography (the 80D is not bad either). But in both ergonomics and AF-performance (both of which are essentiel for a top ection camera), the 7D Mk II will certainly not be surpassed.

So EduPortas has a valid point to hold on to his 7D Mk II: the 90D will not be a step up and at this point there is no mirrorless alternative for cropped action photographers.

Upvote 0
If past versions are any indicator, then sensor and DIGIC will likely be same in both M6 II and 90D. And both were certainly NOT rushed, but are due for quite some time now.
Oh, I agree. But if it isn't right on these two cameras, I highly doubt a rushed camera body would do better!

I think the original poster is trying to insinuate that a failure here might wake Canon up to change their course on what they release. I'm not sure that's realistic, but I think we can be confident that Canon takes the time they feel they need on just about everything. Also, I don't believe that we have an accurate view of how much time it takes to go from a concept camera to a released product. If (and that's a big if) the failure of the 90D were to actually result in Canon saying "we need to change our philosophy" I would bet it would be a while before we as consumers saw the fruit of that philosophical change. The closest thing to immediate release could be over a year after a philosophical change.

Upvote 0
Is this Canon's big August announcement? What happened to "reclaiming the megapixel crown" and "getting into the spec wars"?
They've had a floating timeline for the high resolution body for quite some time. Some said end of 2019, others said early 2020. As for spec wars, who knows if and when that happens - it's a rumour after all. For all we know that rumour could be based on recent direction from leadership Canon (meaning it will be a while before that filters down into products) rather than sales staff (meaning products are nearly ready to go). Rumours like that are so vague that it's really hard to predict timelines.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
They've had a floating timeline for the high resolution body for quite some time. Some said end of 2019, others said early 2020. As for spec wars, who knows if and when that happens - it's a rumour after all. For all we know that rumour could be based on recent direction from leadership Canon (meaning it will be a while before that filters down into products) rather than sales staff (meaning products are nearly ready to go). Rumours like that are so vague that it's really hard to predict timelines.
True enough. On the other hand, the megapixel count on a new aps-c sensor will tell us something about the megapixel count on the new hires camera, but won't tell us much on when it will show up

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
EF-M 28/3.5 is a native macro lens with built-in ring light, very compact, good IQ, well affordable.
Otherwise EF-S 60/2.8 is a great macro lens with nice FL [FOV eq. to 96mm], works well on my EOS M with EF/EF-M adapter and is still acceptably compact.
And all EF 100mm/2.8 Macro lenses will also work via adapter. 100L is an excellent macro lens.

:)
There are tonne of options for EF mount macro lenses going from .5x to 5x mag ratio and in variety of focal lengths from 15mm to 180mm. Its basically pick your poison.

Upvote 0
Canon is just a master of product segmentation. Of course, they won't launch a 90D and M5ii together - these two models would more directly compete with one another. What were we thinking? So, they'll launch a 90D now, the M6ii - which is targeting the more casual market, a less intimidating step up from a cell-phone - and probably stagger the M5ii release a year from now, using the by then proven 90D sensor, of course, and whatever else they can develop over the next year.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I hope this 90D will be a major flop for Canon, forcing them to create a mirrorless equivalent immediately.
Never fear. After the 90D comes out, I’m sure you can find some ‘reviews’ that trash it thoroughly. I’d recommend starting with DPR to provide you with some good confirmation bias.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Bleh. If they can mass market a FF camera at US $1300 (EOS RP) they sure as hell can make a decent 7D Mark III.

This forum has documented lots of you guys are still using the original 7D every day, either for work or pleasure. My anecdotal experience confirms this.

I went from original 7d to 80d and it was an improvement.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I'm not too sure.

Just a wild idea, but - do you think it is possible Canon would merge M5 and M6 lines? Design wise M6 feels being more a "rangefinder" camera and they could just provide it with a pop-up EVF? Most probably not going to happen, as M5 was kind of popular in itself. On the other hand, if there is no 7DIII coming, and just 90D is going to be released, maybe Canon is doing some camera consolidation? Well, maybe M5 II will just come later ...

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The proper response to this sick statement would be:

"I hope the high megapixel Rs would be a major flop for Canon, forcing them to create a 5DsR Mark II."

But that would make two sick statements, so NO to both statements.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

OK seriously: what is it with the Mirrorless Cult? It's getting to the point where mirrorless shooters are expecting a spaceship to appear in the sky to transport them and their Nikes to a planet with nothing but super model filled national parks, leaving the heathen mirror slappers behind. And of course if that UFO isn't filled with Canon mirrorless cameras then CANON. IS. DOOMED.

DSLRs still out sell mirrorless cameras, and do so by wide margins in north America and Europe.
There is still a large market of people who want the DSLR form factor and an OVF. Yes, yes, sooner or later those sales will cross over. And guess what? Even then, for years, there will still be a market for DSLRs. Mirrorless is not a paradigm shift, and quite frankly it still, after a decade of being developed and pushed, still has some cons vs SLRs. We can nitpick the small differences between the two designs, but honestly if you can't get the shot with a 7D mark II or a 90D...you're probably not going to get it with mirrorless either.

The entire ILC market is experiencing severe contraction as people rely more and more on phones. And let's face it, there's also a bit of consumer exhaustion with all the photos out there. Hoping for the 90D to flop is the same as hoping you have a smaller market with fewer options, from Canon or any manufacturer, in the future.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0