Blackmagic Design announces new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K with EF mount

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
FREMONT, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Blackmagic Design today announced the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, a new handheld digital film camera with a full Super 35 size 6K HDR image sensor, 13 stops of dynamic range, an EF lens mount and dual native ISO up to 25,600 for incredible low light performance. This new model builds on the popularity of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K but has a larger Super 35 sensor size with 6K resolution, allowing higher image quality. The EF lens mount model works with a wide range of lenses from companies such as Canon, Zeiss, Sigma and Schneider.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K is available immediately from Adorama for US$2,495.

The elegant design of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera packs an incredible number of high-end digital film features into a miniaturized, handheld design. Made from...

Continue reading...

Dec 25, 2017
Fantastic. I cannot wait to use one of these. Panasonic, Sony and black magic do such a wonderful job of listening to their base.
The codecs and apex list of this thing is something I hope canon is paying attention to
I hope they have a decent Autofocus. Especialy for solo projects and when working on a gimbal, the 1DX II works like a charm. Its still something, that makes me staying at Canon. But I think I will give this camera a shot for our studio work :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I doubt it. Will be the same as BMPCC 4K.

Correct. Fortunately, the future looks bright for AF on these cameras.

These still won't be my go to run and gun cameras, but it looks like that day might come sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0
Nice. How long will it take Canon before they give us 6k 50fps?

Who gives a rip about that ... most Canon users shoot photos. When I hike in the redwoods for example, and learn what other photographers do, who own Canon, I haven't met one in 100 yet who shoots video.

I think the higher FPS is null posts on the internet.

Upvote 0
Love it. Looking forward to seeing how it is. The only gripe I'd have is it would have been cool to see it have the new RF mount instead of the EF. RF lenses are the future and if you wanted to use EF you could take advantage of the Canon adapter with built-in ND.
What if Blackmagic makes their own mount and designs adapters for it to all other lens mounts. Would even be better as you can change the lens mount depending on the lens you like to use.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Who gives a rip about that ... most Canon users shoot photos. When I hike in the redwoods for example, and learn what other photographers do, who own Canon, I haven't met one in 100 yet who shoots video.

I think the higher FPS is null posts on the internet.
This is sarcasm right?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
When I hike in the redwoods for example, and learn what other photographers do, who own Canon, I haven't met one in 100 yet who shoots video.

That's why they're called photographers and not videographers. If there was not a demand for high-res, high-framerate video, Sony wouldn't be outselling Canon.

• Haha
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Even though the thought of 6k makes me drool, the price really is a testament to just what a bargain the 4k version is even though you still need a lens adapter.

Yeah, I gotta say, I'm saving for this 6K one now.
It apparently also has a locking external AC power source too, which I don't think the 4K one has? They way this thing eats batteries, I'd like this option for when shooting indoors and easy access to AC power.

With the 4K version, I think that's about $1300? Add on the $600 metabones adapter for EF lenses, and bang, you're near $2K there. If you want to add on 1-2 MFT lenses too, well, that puts you in the ball park of the 6K camera, which if you have all native EF lenses, I think would be way to go.

But the 4K is a good deal but when you add the Metabones, that price gets a bit closer to the 6K one pretty quick.

I was saving for 4K, I'll now wait a bit for the 6K to save those extra pickles.

I also have to get a new media work computer first...and THAT is what I'm saving for first.

I am waiting to see what the actual pricing and upgrades for the new Mac Pro will be, hopefully in Sept. I was planning awhile back to get an iMac Pro decked out to near $8K.

I'm of the thought I might see what $8K will get me on the Mac Pro, and feel a little better about being able to upgrade it over time.

My old MBP late 2011 is looking a bit long in the tooth and isn't even spec'ed to run the new Davinci Resolve 16, which I think you would definitely want to run in conjunction with these new BlackMagic cameras for BM raw work....

Oh well, saving money and hey....I have some old lottery tix I need to go check the numbers on!!!!
:p

C

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
The sensor on this is 23.10 x 12.99 mm.
The Canon crop is 22.2 x 14.8 mm.
Normal crop is 23.5 x 15.6 mm.

So it looks like Canon APS-C glass won't be quite wide enough, though if your shooting in 6K you can always crop out the black parts and still end up > 4K resolution. My Canon 10-22 will fit in that category. My two Sigma lenses which are designed for 1.5 crop might be wide enough if the Canon mount on the back of the lenses doesn't cause issues. Then again it also depends on how they handle the aspect ratios. If they are just cropping then every thing should work just fine. If they are down sampling not so much.

Dynamic Range 13 stops
Dual Native ISO 400 and 3200
Shooting Resolutions 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps
6144 x 2560 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps
5744 x 3024 (5.7K 17:9) up to 60 fps
4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps
3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) up to 60 fps
3728 x 3104 (3.7K 6:5 anamorphic) up to 60 fps
2868 x 1512 (2.8K 17:9) up to 120 fps
1920 x 1080 (HD) up to 120 fps

Soooo much to love here.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So it looks like Canon APS-C glass won't be quite wide enough, though if your shooting in 6K you can always crop out the black parts and still end up > 4K resolution. My Canon 10-22 will fit in that category.

Depends entirely on the lens. Most probably project a light cone wider than a Canon APS-C sensor, it's just a question of quality loss and/or vignetting.

Upvote 0
That's why they're called photographers and not videographers. If there was not a demand for high-res, high-framerate video, Sony wouldn't be outselling Canon.

Sony is outselling Canon where? TV's? DVD Players?

As of 2018 Market Analysis, In the (digital) imaging market, Canon is destroying Sony at ~40% (Canon) to ~18% (Sony) - by more than double. Don't take my word for it, read the Nikkei report yourself.

1565457241461.png

Even Sony itself is "bragging" about overtaking Nikon for the #2 spot behind Canon...

1565457382403.png

You can even look here on Canon Rumors and see this for yourself, as market analysis are periodically posted. Funny, I did a quick search, and found a post from 2017 which says that Sony was going after the #2...

1565458251039.png

Anyway. It's certainly possible you're talking about a specific market segment? In my line of work (marketing), I would consider "high-res" and "high frame-rate video" as features of products (digital cameras) in the (digital) imaging market.

Perhaps just a bit of semantics, but regardless, Sony is not outselling Canon by any stretch of the imagination. From my perspective, public market analysis proves this without question.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Canon apologist. In fact, my wife has already switched to Fuji completely. While I'm still with Canon for my primary body (5D Mk IV), I too have switched to Fuji for my backup. It's a bit of an ironic moment when someone in the marketing industry realizes they aren't in any of the target market segments of their favorite manufacturer. Ironic, but also expensive. :/

Upvote 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0