Patent: Canon RF 50-80mm f/1.1, because crazy is good

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
did you used it on a +10 hours wedding? :) Is an awesome lens, thats no doubt about it!
No weddings for me. Only Rambo photographers can handle Bridezilla. Weddings scare me. I'll be trying it out this weekend, and I have a nude shoot/boudoir shoot Tuesday and then a swimsuit shoot on the 17th. It is, though, one heavy beast and filters are going to be expensive.

Upvote 0
I bet not one person outside of the Internet has asked you that ! ;-)
Indeed, mostly on the internet ;-)
However I do a few talks each year for camera clubs and there you find the pre-internet version, who seems to think that I have some deep attachment to Canon and will leap to defend them from insults...

Usually pointing to the TS-E17 or whatever on the front is enough ;-)

My biggest problem at the moment is that I'm writing a book about using tilt/shift lenses and whilst Canon will lend me any TS-E I've not got, and Hasselblad will lend me an H6D and HTS T/S adapter, I can't get much more than the time of day out of Nikon(UK). I'd love it to include some PC-E lenses just for balance - it doesn't really change much of the 'how to use' side of things, but I'd hate for Nikon PC-E users to be put off just because their lenses are listed, but not featured in any of the example photos.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
It's also a huge difference if you just have to carry your gear to a photography spot where you can set up a tripod to put the large lens on, or if you actually have to carry it around your neck or shoulder for 12+ hours as you might be doing on a wedding or other event. ... I know from experience as an untrained man weighing less than 70 kg that when photographing mobile events such as parades, or hiking and carrying a 5D4 with a set of 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 for 8 or more hours really isn't very comfortable, even though those lenses are far from being the heaviest.
My wife, a half Chinese half European woman weighing barely more than 50 kg, carries a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 lens + other lenses (including a 300mm f/4 lens) and a camera on our birding trips for hours with no problems. She even shoots this 4 kg tele-camera-combo hand-held, often she doesn't take any mono- or tripod with her. People are always amazed when they see that petite woman using this big lens like a compact camera. She has the opposite of bodybuilder arms btw, she uses a holding technique that she learned in ballet dancing.

• Wow
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
My biggest problem at the moment is that I'm writing a book about using tilt/shift lenses ...
Do you also cover classic tilt-shift bellow lenses? Novoflex e.g. still makes such bellows that are adaptable to 35mm cameras. I sometimes seriously consider getting such a flexible solution for tilt-shift and extreme macro.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... She has the opposite of bodybuilder arms btw, she uses a holding technique that she learned in ballet dancing.
Cool. I would like to know how that technique works.

Using my FF+100-400 during the day isn't that hard, but everything that could make life easier...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My wife, a half Chinese half European woman weighing barely more than 50 kg, carries a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 lens + other lenses (including a 300mm f/4 lens) and a camera on our birding trips for hours with no problems. She even shoots this 4 kg tele-camera-combo hand-held, often she doesn't take any mono- or tripod with her. People are always amazed when they see that petite woman using this big lens like a compact camera. She has the opposite of bodybuilder arms btw, she uses a holding technique that she learned in ballet dancing.
If she can do ballet, then she is way stronger and tougher than most of us guys

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Combining my two fastest available primes into a zoom with an even faster aperture into one lens? I can’t wrap my head around how that can be done without needing a wheelbarrow.
True! But then Sigma's big green $25,000 monster comes to mind. Rumor has it that it is sometimes bundled with a wheelbarrow or dolly. Chuck Norris, though, carts it around like an old 50mm Takumar. He doesn't need the wheelbarrow and when he holds it, it turns into an f/1. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
True! But then Sigma's big green $25,000 monster comes to mind. Rumor has it that it is sometimes bundled with a wheelbarrow or dolly. Chuck Norris, though, carts it around like an old 50mm Takumar. He doesn't need the wheelbarrow and when he holds it, it turns into an f/1. :p

Well I can assure you that the stories you hear with this man if nothing else, has been watered down.

It turns into a 645 lens, 1,200mm-3,000mm f/0.7, which he doesn't cart - gravity doesn't mess with Chuck Norris' photo equipment. This is how the Hubble telescope was put into orbit - it was gifted to Chuck Norris, and immediately floated out of the atmosphere.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well I can assure you that the stories you hear with this man if nothing else, has been watered down.

It turns into a 645 lens, 1,200mm-3,000mm f/0.7, which he doesn't cart - gravity doesn't mess with Chuck Norris' photo equipment. This is how the Hubble telescope was put into orbit - it was gifted to Chuck Norris, and immediately floated out of the atmosphere.
Chuck Norris decided to bottle and sell his urine as an energy drink. We know this beverage as Red Bull. :p

• Haha
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
OK Canon, we know you have and are capable of making super lenses. So will you ever make a 50mm Rf f1.8 or f2 lens...a lens that could actually be somewhat affordable for the non-professional?
Canon has demonstrated that they want the R system buyers to demand lenses that can do things that the EF lenses can't. A person can pop a 50mm f/1.8 on their R via adapter, so look for them to keep making lots of lenses that do something extra and fewer that compete with EF lenses. Realistically, I'd buy a EF 70-200 for $1500 over a RF 70-200 for $2500 that was basically the same thing. There needs to be a reason to spend that extra money.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Cool. I would like to know how that technique works.

Using my FF+100-400 during the day isn't that hard, but everything that could make life easier...
Sorry for the very delayed reply. She says it's the same technique that allows dancers to keep their arms wide open for a long time without getting tired. You need to move your shoulders down in a certain way, then they work a bit like a sort of ratched...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon has demonstrated that they want the R system buyers to demand lenses that can do things that the EF lenses can't. A person can pop a 50mm f/1.8 on their R via adapter, so look for them to keep making lots of lenses that do something extra and fewer that compete with EF lenses. Realistically, I'd buy a EF 70-200 for $1500 over a RF 70-200 for $2500 that was basically the same thing. There needs to be a reason to spend that extra money.
Unfortunately, I bought the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II for $2,499 at the time it was released. I only say unfortunately because I was too silly to wait a while. It is a great lens. What I don't like about the RF version (I don't have it) is that it isn't an internal zoom like the EF. It doesn't make much difference, I guess, but internal zoom is really cool in my opinion.

Your posts are always great and well thought out.

Upvote 0