Our favourite hands-on preview of the Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

Apparently Canon has told a number of the reviewers that the M6ii will replace both the M6 and M5... I don't think I've seen anything official from Canon on releasing it or not releasing it, so I ether way waiting may not yield a better option.
who else? the only ones I could find was dpreview.

Upvote 0
who else? the only ones I could find was dpreview.
DP review was the one I saw, but Canon Rumours guy said the same thing, though I have no idea of whether or not he was basing that on DPreview also:

Either way, it's all speculation until something is released or communicated. Considering that Canon never really seems to officially confirm ending a line, I doubt we'll see any evidence either way.

Upvote 0
Honestly thought the images and video he took with the 90D and M6 MkII were pretty good. Shame it was limited to bright light, but the tracking on the m6 mkii is very very tempting. Also goes to show how much of a difference glass / composition etc makes :)

the M6 MkII is micro 4/3rds right? wonder on the low light ISO.
I believe it is APS-C and not M4/3 - should be pretty close to the same sensor as in the 90D I would suspect!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
DP review was the one I saw, but Canon Rumours guy said the same thing, though I have no idea of whether or not he was basing that on DPreview also:

Either way, it's all speculation until something is released or communicated. Considering that Canon never really seems to officially confirm ending a line, I doubt we'll see any evidence either way.

CR and I were talking about the dpreview statement, I think everything is coming from there.

I did an article on this subject, and right now, i have three canon quotes saying that the M5 is still there, and the M6 II is a replacement for the M6.

Outside of dpreview's statement i haven't seen anything that the M6 II is a M5 replacement.

If they were replacing both with the M6 i really doubt the name of the camera would be the M6 Mark II.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
CR and I were talking about the dpreview statement, I think everything is coming from there.

I did an article on this subject, and right now, i have three canon quotes saying that the M5 is still there, and the M6 II is a replacement for the M6.

Outside of dpreview's statement i haven't seen anything that the M6 II is a M5 replacement.

If they were replacing both with the M6 i really doubt the name of the camera would be the M6 Mark II.

I'm wondering if their information came from a Canon USA source or from a translated interview with a Japanese Canon exec. I'm always skeptical of the translated interviews because the nuances of the language don't necessarily come through accurately.

Upvote 0

I thought I'd seen another note somewhere else, but for all I know it was coming from dpreview too. Could certainly have been an uninformed statement during the press review as well. We'll see I guess!

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Jared definitely prefers the mirrorless over the DSLR. And he makes a compelling case for just that.

One thing I'd argue with him on - he suggests getting NO EOS-M glass. I disagree. While all the Canon EF glass is compatible with the adapter, there are a couple of nice gems in the M lineup that are well worth getting. And, it pays to have a nice small lens on the camera, such as the 15-45, for just carrying around. It's small and unobtrusive.

Also, that nice little ultra-wide is a good option.

That said, I'm really liking this M6 II with the attachable EVF. It's peaked my interest.

I'm going to play around with the files I downloaded from his site now - lets see what they're good for (shows promise for shadow recovery).

Upvote 0
Sorry, but painful and irksome to watch (YMMV, but to me it matters)
If you like that approach then good, but I couldn't stick more than short burst of it.
Enough to believe that he probably does have some good comments in there, but I'll wait for other ways of finding out.

Both cameras look interesting updates, so I'm keen to see reports once the "hands on" stuff is out of the way

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jared definitely prefers the mirrorless over the DSLR. And he makes a compelling case for just that.

Jared has great reviews, but he thinks with blinders on.

Few pros will shoot like weddings, gallery prints, etc., with an M6 or M6 mk ii. So they won't need $3000 worth of lenses in every shape and size.

I shoot professionally, but still take but one or two lenses with my M5, for hiking, etc.. There's more than ample M glass between Canon, Rokinon, and soon Sigma.

Upvote 0
I thought I'd seen another note somewhere else, but for all I know it was coming from dpreview too. Could certainly have been an uninformed statement during the press review as well. We'll see I guess!
well here's the thing.. it depends what was said... in one section dpreview stated that Canon said that the M6 II was "EFFECTIVELY" a replacement of the M5 and M6. technically that's true until they release an M5 II. it doesn't mean they are replacing the M5 with the M6 II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jared has great reviews, but he thinks with blinders on.

Few pros will shoot like weddings, gallery prints, etc., with an M6 or M6 mk ii. So they won't need $3000 worth of lenses in every shape and size.

I shoot professionally, but still take but one or two lenses with my M5, for hiking, etc.. There's more than ample M glass between Canon, Rokinon, and soon Sigma.
don't forget that Viltrox is releasing at least 3 primes for the EF-M mount as well.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Thanks, and I think you are right. I believe it's been mentioned before.. only diff is the m mount. Intriguing.

No Canon m43 cameras exist, and none will almost certainly ever exist. All M bodies have APS-C sensors, typically the very same sensors as the contemporaneous crop DSLRs. The 90D and M6II sensors are identical.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No Canon m43 cameras exist, and none will almost certainly ever exist. All M bodies have APS-C sensors, typically the very same sensors as the contemporaneous crop DSLRs. The 90D and M6II sensors are identical.
True, though they did do some patent work on M43 lenses:

Unlikely to turn into anything, but interesting never the less.

• Wow
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
well here's the thing.. it depends what was said... in one section dpreview stated that Canon said that the M6 II was "EFFECTIVELY" a replacement of the M5 and M6. technically that's true until they release an M5 II. it doesn't mean they are replacing the M5 with the M6 II.
This is what I mean by nuances in language and this is all in English. The M6II could "effectively" be a replacement of both cameras because Canon is dropping the M5 or it could "effectively" be a replacement for both cameras because the external viewfinder is included and perhaps they feel they've made sufficient improvements in the viewfinder and in the usability of the rear screen that people don't really need to have an integrated viewfinder. One indicates no M5II, one does not.

Upvote 0