Autofocus on canon 5d mark iii In the Corners Of the screen

My knowledge In the Automatic Focus on my Camera is basic,However I have a specific Question,
On the AF point There is many various Ways To adjust it Like Single point Or a group point, As well as many ways To track Subject, However None of this is my question,
My question is that the AF points Given to me Only in the center of the screen,
I solve that problem In a deep research I did In the past And I cannot find That answer Again,
So the question is I want to focus On the Far upper Center or corner, Also Side Ways Right or left Corner And not only in the center of the Screen,
answer will be appreciated

Mar 2, 2012
My knowledge In the Automatic Focus on my Camera is basic,However I have a specific Question,
On the AF point There is many various Ways To adjust it Like Single point Or a group point, As well as many ways To track Subject, However None of this is my question,
My question is that the AF points Given to me Only in the center of the screen,
I solve that problem In a deep research I did In the past And I cannot find That answer Again,
So the question is I want to focus On the Far upper Center or corner, Also Side Ways Right or left Corner And not only in the center of the Screen,
answer will be appreciated
The PDAF sensors do not fully cover the frame, sorry!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
For example, open landscape with background in haze and foreground close to hyperfocal distance.
Is anybody badly educated enough to still be talking about hyperlocal focus distances and what reference are they using for reproduction/coc sizes?

First rule of photography, focus on the subject.

But whilst I might be giving you a hard time Kit I don't mean it, in your mentioned situation I'd be using tilt, nothing comes close to the use of tilt in situations like that.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Is anybody badly educated enough to still be talking about hyperlocal focus distances and what reference are they using for reproduction/coc sizes?

First rule of photography, focus on the subject.

But whilst I might be giving you a hard time Kit
You seem to have some kind of knee-jerk reaction to the term "hyperfocal distance". Try to consider the possibility that I know what it means.

I don't mean it, in your mentioned situation I'd be using tilt, nothing comes close to the use of tilt in situations like that.
Unfortunately, there is no autofocus with tilt lenses on 5D3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You seem to have some kind of knee-jerk reaction to the term "hyperfocal distance". Try to consider the possibility that I know what it means.

Unfortunately, there is no autofocus with tilt lenses on 5D3.
My reaction is due to the fact that a lot of people think they understand hyperfocal focusing, though few really do. I do consider the possibility that you are one of the few that does actually understand it, I also know for a fact most people reading about it nod knowingly when the phrase is mentioned but don't, just like tilt and the Scheimpflug principle!

Here is a small comparison of the differences possible between hyperlocal focusing and tilt/swing. https://luminous-landscape.com/nikon-24-mm-f3-5-pc-e-nikkor-ed/

As for AF, I struggle to understand the utility of AF in the specific situation we are talking about, landscape shot with point of interest very close to the edge of the frame, but I am sure there is one.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
As for AF, I struggle to understand the utility of AF in the specific situation we are talking about, landscape shot with point of interest very close to the edge of the frame, but I am sure there is one.
It's not necessarily a "point of interest". It's just that sometimes unimportant but unsharp foreground is more distracting than unimportant but sharp one.

And more often than not, tilt doesn't help with it. Think of tree branches framing a distant landscape, for example.

Upvote 0
I apologize for not mention it earlier, My reason of Needs to Shoot In the corners , Actually it's not in the corner It's more like 20 Or 30 percent Surrounding the screen that missing the Autofocus,
Again my reason Because I shoot Sometimes full body Vertically And I want to focus On the face,Same thing Shooting Horizontally
I know about Focus And recompose Personally I don't like it And I'm not sure How much positive or negative There is in this action,

Upvote 0
I guess even without tilt, I'd tend to do manual focus on that sort of shot. It is something I'd normally be taking my time with, checking the DOF preview, etc. Also, in terms of composition, I wouldn't likely be putting the foreground object in the very corner of the image.
The truth is I never thought of manually focus Unless I'm in some Trouble to focus or for a videos ,
It sounds good And strange How i didn't thought about it ,Actually you helped me a lot and Of course for the shoots I can take my time With,Or shoots That have the same distance
About Tilt I'm not familiar with it ,And I'm good As of now With my Cameras And lenses And none of them Is Tilt.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I apologize for not mention it earlier, My reason of Needs to Shoot In the corners , Actually it's not in the corner It's more like 20 Or 30 percent Surrounding the screen that missing the Autofocus,
Again my reason Because I shoot Sometimes full body Vertically And I want to focus On the face,Same thing Shooting Horizontally
I know about Focus And recompose Personally I don't like it And I'm not sure How much positive or negative There is in this action,

OK I think I understand...if you shoot vertically the face is outside the autofocus area(s).

One thing you can do is center the camera on the face, focus, then lower the camera and take the picture. This involves NOT using Servo mode and you have to hold the shutter button down halfway while you recompose. (You don't want the servo mode because otherwise the camera will refocus once you move it.) This won't work well if a) you're too clumsy to not accidentally push the button down the rest of the way while re-composing and b) if your subject is moving.

I personally am teaching myself to use back-button focus, where the camera only focuses while you hold a button on the back somewhere (usually labelled AF-ON but not all models have such a button, so you have to assign something else to. That cuts down on the clumsy factor, but still gives problems if the subject moves.

The newer mirrorless cameras use a lot more of the sensor for focus.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Your only option other than focus/recompose is to shoot in Live View. There’s no technique that will alter the position of the AF points you use when looking through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The truth is I never thought of manually focus Unless I'm in some Trouble to focus or for a videos ,
It sounds good And strange How i didn't thought about it ,Actually you helped me a lot and Of course for the shoots I can take my time With,Or shoots That have the same distance
About Tilt I'm not familiar with it ,And I'm good As of now With my Cameras And lenses And none of them Is Tilt.
Sometimes we spend more effort trying to get autofocus to do what we want than it would take to just focus manually.

Upvote 0