The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Frame rate. It really does make a difference when shooting sports. At 5 fps, your only frame of the peak moment might happen right as an official steps between you and the athlete(s). At 10 fps, you can often salvage one of the frames just before or just after the referee's butt is your primary subject.

Sure, you can get plenty of keepers at 5 fps or even 2 fps like in the motor drive film days. But you get a lot more, which often include the key moments of a contest, at 10 fps. Expectations are much higher now that you deliver shots of practically *every* key play than they were in the past, when just getting a good frame of the key players was enough, even if it wasn't when they were making the key plays.
How about the 90D then?

I definitely get the frame rate advantage. After getting the 5DII, I kept the 7D for birds with the 100-400 – the 8 fps allowed better choices for wing position. After getting the 1D X and 600/4 II, the 7D became superfluous.

Upvote 0
How about the 90D then?

I definitely get the frame rate advantage. After getting the 5DII, I kept the 7D for birds with the 100-400 – the 8 fps allowed better choices for wing position. After getting the 1D X and 600/4 II, the 7D became superfluous.

---

Within the last week, the specs for a 60 FPS BURST RATE 18.6 megapixel (5952 x 3140) Canon Full Frame camera came out which could solve ALL your fast action issues. It's a tad expensive BUT the Canon C500 Mk2 Cinema Camera is the PERFECT size and weight for your football (soccer), hockey, basketball, rugby, skiing, cycling, F1, Rallycar and other fast action sports AND for wildlife imagery.

At 60 fps and 18.6 megapixels, you shoot flat log or 12 bit RAW colour and then download your videos into Blackmagic Resolve colour corrector and choose the frames you like. Export each selected video frame to PNG at uncompressed 12 bit or 10 bits per colour channel and send to your editors via email! And Bob's Your Uncle! YOUR DONE! Put the c500 Mk2 into a shoulder mount rig and you can hold it all day no problemo.

What's not to like?

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I’m not sure I’d expect a significant improvement over the 1D X II, but I’d love to be wrong. Personally, the improvements offered by 1D X II the over the 1D X were not significant enough for me. It will likely be a different story for the 1D X III.
Trust me, having Dual Pixel was worth it alone. They could have changed absolutely nothing and just added that and I would have been happy! LOL

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks for the responses, folks.

Conclusion: Canon has gone in another direction leaving the 7D Mii users in a precarious position: spend huge $$ for a substantial upgrade, switch platforms to the R, or leave Canon entirely. I have shot Canon equipment for 40 years and now they leave me at a dead end.

Very disappointing.
Just curious where you would go. Nikon is dropping the D500.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
And I will pass on any camera with a sensor >30MP.

I used to crop on a Canon EOS 10D 6MP. No issue even for 16x20" prints.
I found the 20-24MP my sweet spot. For me, larger files just eat up more space and time.

If you need to "crop on the small guys" stick with the 7D Mk II or whatever the next generation might be. You'll have the built-in crop. If you like the full frames, get a longer telephoto lens (teleconverters, too). imho, it makes little sense to pay for a sensor of huge megapickles, just to toss most of them away. If you are trying to photograph a hummingbird a football field away, buy a blind and move in closer. ;o)
I don't understand this. You can get a 10TB drive for under $200, but you are suggesting that people should instead just go out and buy a longer telephoto lens, which can cost $6,000 to $10,000. Not everyone has that option. And, why would it take more time to process a 30 mp image vs. a 24 mp image? That's only a problem if you never update your computer. It might take a few more minutes to download the files, but no one has to babysit the computer when it's downloading. As far as paying "for a sensor of huge megapickles, just to toss most of them away," it's not as though you are paying extra for those megapixels. The cost of the 1Dx has remained fairly stable from generation to generation, I expect the 1Dx III will come in at about the same price as the 1DxII was at introduction.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Trust me, having Dual Pixel was worth it alone. They could have changed absolutely nothing and just added that and I would have been happy! LOL
Not for me. I really only use live view when on a tripod, and in that case I’m often manually focusing (DPAF doesn’t allow TS-E lenses to AF), or if using AF then the slower CDAF is just fine (i have yet to come across a building that moves too fast for CDAF).

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Also, the a9II will likely be 2K less than the 1DxIII if Canon prices the 1DxIII like it did the 1DxII. Rumors are the a9II will be 5K, I am thinking the 1DxIII will be $6999. If this is what happens, I will have a hard time choosing the 1DXIII over the a9II given what I have learned about the comparative capabilities of the 1DxII and a9 after shooting them side by side for a while now. Osprey image is a9 with adapted Canon 600 f/4 IS + 1.4x TC hand held.View attachment 186655
Wow photo

Upvote 0
Yes, im also happy! Overall the files are very good. But for example the color rendering...Even in standard mode i find the reds to be very strong and I did had to make a custom mode with -3 saturation. Then that adds another problem that is you take off saturation from all colors. So when a team is red i tend to have some problems. This is more like a preference... but for me, trying to improve the saturation processing in jpeg would be fine. Specially in soccer, if you shoot for newspaper you know we need to deliver the photos ASAP and in big games some photos are sent even before first half to finish, so no time to correct in post. Then i find sometimes the noise reduction (i think is that...) to give the photo some "plasticity..." even when reduced to low...I would be happy if when you choose Low in noise reduction, noise processing could be less noticeable....
Well, not very important things, just small things that i dont like so much....But, and it is a biiig BUT, the jpeg straight out of the camera are very good and like it!

EDIT: I put 2 examples of that exagerated reds, you can see better in the second pic.

OK I see now what you mean. Personally I take the time during a soccer match to correct in post. Just a quick edit takes maybe 20 to 30 secs. When shooting a big game we often have an editor at the office.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be purchasing two and figure they will be the last DSLRs I ever buy. I had hoped Canon would surprise us and have a mirrorless equivalent ready for the Olympics but it doesn't look that way.

I tried the A9 earlier this year at a Sony event for pro photographers and it was very impressive but switching is a big ordeal when you start thinking about all the small bits of gear in your bag that need to be replaced. Plus I just do not like the ergonomics of the A9 it's too small and does not feel robust like the 1D X does. For me I really want to see that technology in a larger body and can wait until someone is ready to give it to me.

I love the 1D X Mark II out of a new version I hope to get built in WiFi (stop robbing us on those transmitters), improved auto focus, better dynamic range and better high ISO performance.

Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
Nothing but GAS gets in my way of continued use and it doesn't take herculean strength to avoid it's siren call, just a teeny bit of willpower.
Are you sure you didn't mean Odysseus? Forgive me nitpicking but... you know... the kids learn from the Internet almost exclusively now... ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2014
mRAW and sRAW seem to be dead with .cr3 and C-RAW having replaced them.

Dual Pixel AF already exceeds the capability of cross-type AF points on dedicated PDAF sensor arrays.

AF-S? That's a Nikon/Sony/Pentax thing. Do you mean 'One Shot AF', which is the Canon equivalent?

sorry i wrote it misleading, in Liveview-stills the 1dxmk2 does not support Continious autofocus, no reason why, 5dmkiv does!

C-RAW is not an option, for me is not saving space the argument, the argument ist speedup processing .. less pixel les processing time.. if there is the same cound of pixls it helps nothing..

Upvote 0
If the DiG!C 5 was the last one introduced in a 1-Series body, it has been quite a while since a 1-Series body was the first to sport a new DiG!C processor.
Indeed, but I was just reacting to the original post, which implied it didn't happen. The Digic 5 was first in the 1D X (announcement - it took a long while to appear)

The appearance of different digic chips over the years and in different models. This is the latest I've used (good to see Digic 4 still going strong from 2008 [50D])

canon-timeline.png
I suspect we'll see some big changes to the bottom the table in just a few years - perhaps time to spit it into DSLR and Mirrorless versions.

Upvote 0
Dual CF-express slots certainly would a shift in Canon's obsession for antiquated interfaces. Hoping to see CFexpress slot in more cameras down the line.
Sorry to ask the silly question - but CFexpress slots compatible with our existing collections of CF cards?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Sorry to ask the silly question - but CFexpress slots compatible with our existing collections of CF cards?

No CF is based on the old IDE and CFast is based on SATA. CFExpress is based on PCI express in the same way QXD was and why Nikon users have a happier time migrating with nothing more than a firmware update.

Note: CF and CFast have long hit their limits

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
How about the 90D then?

Well let's see: If the reason I need to think about replacing my aging 7D Mark II is because it has 300,000+ clicks on the shutter then how much sense does it make to think about replacing it with a camera rated for 120,000 clicks that costs about the same as another 7D mark II rated for 200,000 clicks would?

Above ISO 1600 I doubt there will be much difference between the 90D and the 7D Mark II (which had slightly better DR and S/N ratio than the 80D past ISO 800, though not enough better to be significant in any real way). The real improvement with the 80D sensor was at base ISO. Under the lights and indoors shooting sports, ISO 3200 is where I live.

If spending $12K for a 600/4 was an economically viable choice in terms of still making a profit instead of going in the hole using it, then I probably wouldn't need to worry about the economic advantages of using a $1,500 APS-C sports camera with a $2,000 70-200/2.8 lens instead of using a 1D X Mark II with 300-400/2.8 lenses and still needing the 70-200 for shorter distances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
And I will pass on any camera with a sensor >30MP.

I used to crop on a Canon EOS 10D 6MP. No issue even for 16x20" prints.
I found the 20-24MP my sweet spot. For me, larger files just eat up more space and time.

If you need to "crop on the small guys" stick with the 7D Mk II or whatever the next generation might be. You'll have the built-in crop. If you like the full frames, get a longer telephoto lens (teleconverters, too). imho, it makes little sense to pay for a sensor of huge megapickles, just to toss most of them away. If you are trying to photograph a hummingbird a football field away, buy a blind and move in closer. ;o)
Your second paragraph is worded like you are telling me what I should do, how I should shoot, and that I am wrong to want 30MP in a full frame camera. It comes across as arrogant and that you know how I shoot, my skill level, and that everyone should think the way you do about this topic. Just FYI, I shoot the 1DxII, a9, and 5DIV with the Canon 600mm f/4 IS II with both the 1.4x and 2x TCs. I also use blinds when needed or possible. Also, I have a 7DII. The high ISO IQ of the 7D is not what I get from the full frame cameras I use even when cropping in a bit. In my post that you quoted I stated "I" would like to see 30MP. And I base this on my experience with 20-30MP cameras, what and how I shoot, and the IQ I like to see from my images. IMO, there is nothing wrong with me wanting 30MP in a full frame body as I see 30 as the sweet spot for me. Happy shooting to you. Kingfisher image taken with 5DIV, 600 f/4 + 1.4x TC from a blind.Belted Kingfisher male mid air fumble recovery 5D 1600crAI.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.