Here’s the upcoming Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM zooming in and out

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've never quite got how in the 70-200 range folks lust after the 2.8 when there's hardly any noticeable difference between the 2.8 and F4?

It's not like we don't have the available extra stop of ISO to bump to. (Unlike the days of the 1Ds3) and the F4 is half the weight. Unless it helps the AF speed I guess.

Portraits wide open, same distance to subject, not only have more subject/background separation and creamier bokeh, but a more appealing luminosity to skin tones. At least comparing the ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II to the older ef 70-200mm f/4 IS. This makes it worth using the 2.8 for portraiture, though for family traveling I'd never bring it.

And for me, personally, even with great sensor performance these days, I'm always looking to lower my ISO, all other exposure factors considered.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Anyone who speaks ill on this lens extending should probably throw out their 24-70s. it's really not that big of a difference, and this makes the 70-200 no different to carry than a 24-70. It's long overdue that someone made this lens more compact, and I'm happy to see Canon jumped on this.

Really changes the game on the logistics of carrying a 70-200--if you have a Think Tank roller, the lens will now fit vertically like the 24-70 instead of horizontally, where it normally takes up the space of 3 lenses. Same thing goes for the beltpacks--it will be infinitely easier to fit a small lens like this into a belt pack and etc.

I'll be more interested to see if this lens got the engineering plastic treatment to save weight, or if it's still magnesium alloy like the EF version. Again, not a problem to me either way as this is how the 24-70 is built and that lens has never caused a problem whether it's been through heavy smoke from a house fire, sand flying in the wind, or torrential rain.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I've never quite got how in the 70-200 range folks lust after the 2.8 when there's hardly any noticeable difference between the 2.8 and F4?

It's not like we don't have the available extra stop of ISO to bump to. (Unlike the days of the 1Ds3) and the F4 is half the weight. Unless it helps the AF speed I guess.

I've never once considered F/4 to be as good as F/2.8.Slightly sharper on occassion. But also a lot dimmer. YMMV when it comes to the 2.8 lens though. Every lens has it's sweet spot insofar as distance is concerned.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Just be careful with it on the beach.

I hope this doesn’t mean it’s going to suck in loads of dust. Not that I can afford this lens.

Funny how nobody ever complains about the EF 24-70 f2.8 lenses getting dusty... Or any of the other L-zooms, really...

But somehow it's the end of the world if the 70-200 extends?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
It'll be awhile before I'm in the market for any of these lenses, but...it'll be nice to have F2.8 and IS for all three. The compact size of the 70-200 is especially appealing.

Two niggles when comparing to my 70-200 F4 L IS, though:

• The zoom and focus rings are in reverse order. I rarely use manual focus and quite appreciate having the zoom right up next to the body, the natural resting place of my support hand. Seems awkward to have it on the objective end of the lens, though I've never tried it. Any input from those who have? Is it as awkward as it looks?

• The throw of the zoom ring seems to require quite a lot of travel for the full range. With my 70-200 F4, it's very short (can use my finger without twisting my hand), and it's butter smooth.
Still, it's neat to see these new RF lenses as they are developed. By the time I've got an R body (waiting to see what the next year brings), there'll be quite a few to choose from...

Upvote 0
Funny how nobody ever complains about the EF 24-70 f2.8 lenses getting dusty... Or any of the other L-zooms, really...

Of all the five Canon L lenses I own, my 24-70 is the only lens that extends, and it's the only lens which has dust inside the lens. That's why I too am wary of extending zoom lenses. Or maybe because I live in a very dusty city - Kathmandu.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

guess that extra stop of light doesnt matter.....

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Like I said in the other thread, it extends quite a bit, which is not surprising. Looks to be (at least) as long as the EF version when fully extended.

That said, its more compact profile once retracted could make a significant difference when transporting it. There have been times where I’ve decided against the EF 70-200 at certain events just because of its size. This might be one RF lens actually worth getting once in the system...

Now for IQ...(and the official announcement, of course)
It's funny how things can be so relative. As a wildlife photographer I take my 70-200 because it is SMALL and it can reduce my bag size. Only when it will suffice with an acceptable level of compromise though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

I complained about it after diving into the sand to get a ground level shot of a box tortoise scrambling down a dune. It's just that the 24-70mm, in both its iterations, has had the exposed zoom barrel for decades now. The 70-200mm has been a rugged, dust and weather resistant go-to Little Big White for years. Now not quite as much. But Canon will find out if customers like the trade off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
We are calling this new 70-200 and 'extending' lens. Perhaps in reality, its really a 'collapsible' lens! And I can see for some the pack-able advantage of the lens when collapsed down is going to be a massive boom. Finally, people will be able to pack both the 100-400 and 70-200 into a reasonably sized bag!

But for me, I'll probably go for the EF mk3 version, unless this new lens is otherworldly sharp. I prefer the rugged build and smooth controls of a non-extending lens. And I don't have a 100-400...

Anyone who speaks ill on this lens extending should probably throw out their 24-70s. it's really not that big of a difference, and this makes the 70-200 no different to carry than a 24-70. It's long overdue that someone made this lens more compact, and I'm happy to see Canon jumped on this.
Lets see how this new lens feels in the hand. My concern about the 70-200 is that it's going to be a lot of glass to shift, and shift a long way.

Upvote 0