Industry News: Nikon announces the Nikon Z50 APS-C mirrorless camera body & DX Z-mount lenses

The flipside to that is that each lens you put on your compact camera is now 8mm wider than if you used a APS-C specific mount like Canon Ef-m (And Sony E :LOL:).

The EOS M system is the most efficient way to get small and light. The Nikon APS-C mirrorless offering already makes a compromise in that regard due to the mount.

Canon (and other can choose) to:
1) use the same Mounts => less efficient for pure APS-C users but, if the customers switch to Full Frame, they won't have to sell all of their lenses (and the APS-C camera can be kept as a backup body)
2) use different Mounts => more efficient for pure APS-C users, but if they switch to Full Frame, they will have to sell all of their lenses (and/or if they want to use the APS-C as a backup, they will also have to keep all their lenses: 22mm APS-C AND 35mm Full Frame, 15-45mm APS-C AND 24-70 Full Frame etc.).

Maybe Canon is the only player that one day will be able to offer their customers both the M APS-C system and the R (Full Frame plus APS-C), who knows?

...another option - for premium users who feel the need a backup body - would be to use R-style and RP-style full frame bodies, together with small RF pancakes: in that case, one would not miss the APS-C sensor at all.
But… but… where are my RF pancakes? :cry:

Upvote 0
Simply speaking not everyone has EF-M or EF or EF-S lenses when they purchase an RF body. In that respect those people (me included) it less likely or very cautious about buying non native lenses. Especially when it comes to the whole “high speed display” setting that is only available for RF glass

So... I have the R and it is of fair size. The M cameras and now the DX-Z bodies look to be quite small in comparison. But it seems extremely silly to me to buy into a second camera system. Like I would love to have the M6II with the RF 35 mounted to it as my everyday on the go camera. Instead I will stick to the R with the 50stm adapted on to it.

Thing is that it isn’t only limited to that FL example. If I spend 3k almost on the 70-200 I would like the option of using that expensive piece of glass on a APS-C body that I own rather than having a lens that replicates that FL range but is likely to not be optically as good.

THAT is the reason why having the same mount for FF and Crop is a nice option to have.

If it were the case I would own a M6II right now. Since it is not the case it is fair game to consider Fuji and nikon for my crop sensor needs since going EOS-M would entail the same exercise of maintaining a separate system.

Now if I owned a bunch of EF lenses it would be a different proposition.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Simply speaking not everyone has EF-M or EF or EF-S lenses when they purchase an RF body. In that respect those people (me included) it less likely or very cautious about buying non native lenses. Especially when it comes to the whole “high speed display” setting that is only available for RF glass

So... I have the R and it is of fair size. The M cameras and now the DX-Z bodies look to be quite small in comparison. But it seems extremely silly to me to buy into a second camera system. Like I would love to have the M6II with the RF 35 mounted to it as my everyday on the go camera. Instead I will stick to the R with the 50stm adapted on to it.

Thing is that it isn’t only limited to that FL example. If I spend 3k almost on the 70-200 I would like the option of using that expensive piece of glass on a APS-C body that I own rather than having a lens that replicates that FL range but is likely to not be optically as good.

THAT is the reason why having the same mount for FF and Crop is a nice option to have.

If it were the case I would own a M6II right now. Since it is not the case it is fair game to consider Fuji and nikon for my crop sensor needs since going EOS-M would entail the same exercise of maintaining a separate system.

Now if I owned a bunch of EF lenses it would be a different proposition.

Yes, the current situation definitely works better for people who have a bunch of EF glass already, than it will for people totally new to things who'd like to have both and want to buy the latest/greatest stuff.

I actually buy EF glass sometimes, even though I own no full frame camera, because it will work on the M I have now and the R I intend to get, someday. If I ever end up specializing in something I can probably drill down and get two or three RF lenses for it (assuming I pick a specialty where such a thing exists--Rs tend to be fairly "short" so far).

Upvote 0
The Nikon Z mount would score 80 for an APS-C (DX) size sensor, which beats the EF-M mount.

The Canon RF mount would score 68.4 for a Canon-size APS-C sensor (so, also higher than the EF-M mount, but not as high as Nikon).

Thanks flip314! A top guy at Sony once defended their mount by saying that size doesn't really matter! It is important to see that the M mount is the best for APS-C.

Upvote 0

epic.one

EOS M5 | Sony A7
Jan 26, 2019
Johannesburg
I seem to recall, but my memory may have failed, that there was a recent list of optimal flange diameters for lens design and the EF-M was particularly good. Perhaps someone can dig it up.
Yes. It was more like a research paper done bu Fuji. It confirmed three things:

1. Canon's EF-M mount is the best mount ever made, even though it's full potential may never be realised.

2. Sony's E-mount has limitations in the lens design that show it was never made for Full Frame, just like what Canon's VP said a couple years back when him and his Sony Alpha counterpart were taking digs at each other.

3. Nikon's DSLR mount is, at worst - rubbish, at best - really outdated. So Nikon absolutely needed to make the Z mount, and the Z mount will replace their other DSLR mounts going forward as it is adaptable to even a DSLR.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Nikon Z mount would score 80 for an APS-C (DX) size sensor, which beats the EF-M mount.

The Canon RF mount would score 68.4 for a Canon-size APS-C sensor (so, also higher than the EF-M mount, but not as high as Nikon).
Thanks for looking deeper into this. You are absolutely right if you plug in the 55mm diameter of the Z flange into the equation you do get 80. Looking into it more deeply still, they use the inner diameter of the lens mount in the calculation.What they should be using is the actual diameter of the circular black mask further back in the mount, which is much less. It look like in the photo that the inner mask is about a10mm smaller.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
i'd still prefer the upgradibility of using the full frame z lenses.

My same argument applies to canon making an rf mount aps-c. (insert ob canon "Please take the M6ii internals and place them in a R body, or even an RP body, add a bit more buffer and call it a day") edit: (and take my money!!!)
Come to think of it that pretty much is the camera I want!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We all have our opinion of TN and his comments about Canon But, he does the same to everyone now. The Nikon folk are up in arms about his latest broadside on the Z50. Everything about it is wrong, especially the size of the mount. TN just thrives on badmouthing. I suppose its more entertaining and doesn't require the effort of producing a proper review.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
We all have our opinion of TN and his comments about Canon But, he does the same to everyone now. The Nikon folk are up in arms about his latest broadside on the Z50. Everything about it is wrong, especially the size of the mount. TN just thrives on badmouthing. I suppose its more entertaining and doesn't require the effort of producing a proper review.

A typical example of why I hate such unqualified reviews.
Fortunately, there are more reliable sources, like TDP, L.Rentals, Optical Limits, Northlight Images etc...
No, I didn't mean the one relying on us to feed his family...:sneaky:

Upvote 0