EOS R Firmware Update Wish List

I'm sure we all have a (realistic) 'wish list' of features that could be added to the EOS R via firmware.... what are your wishes?

1) 4K DCI video (to reduce that crop factor a tiny bit) - to be on par with what the 5D Mark IV has.

2) Both photo and video overexposure warnings (blinking zebra) - similar to what CHDK does for point and shoots, and magic lantern does for DSLRs.

3) Allow shooting with the full frame sensor when attaching EF-S lenses (via a custom function).
Currently if you want to try and explore how much image coverage apsc glass has, you must use at least one non-Canon element (either Camera or lens).
Canon apsc lenses work fine adapted to other non-Canon cameras, but you cant get full frame results because the EOS R forces a crop.
Similarly, if you take a non-Canon lens and put it on the EOS R, you can shoot with the full frame area of the sensor.
To summarize: You are being penalized for buying all Canon, as the only combination that forces a crop is the Canon camera + Canon lens. (default can remain as is, but let advanced users enable it in a custom function).
Just one example is the below lens which I have (Canon EF-S 10-18mm), and another I'd like to have when ultimate flexibility is concerned (Tamron 18-400mm)

4) Allow setting a photo or video crop in 0.1 increments (from 1.0 to roughly 3.0). - A 1.3x video crop would be ideal for that Tamron lens.

5) I will remember a few more after I hit that 'post thread' button.

Last edited:

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I'm sure we all have a (realistic) 'wish list' of features that could be added to the EOS R via firmware.... what are your wishes?

1) 4K DCI video (to reduce that crop factor a tiny bit) - to be on par with what the 5D Mark IV has.

2) Both photo and video overexposure warnings (blinking zebra) - similar to what CHDK does for point and shoots, and magic lantern does for DSLRs.

3) Allow shooting with the full frame sensor when attaching EF-S lenses (via a custom function).
Currently if you want to try and explore how much image coverage apsc glass has, you must use at least one non-Canon element (either Camera or lens).
Canon apsc lenses work fine adapted to other non-Canon cameras, but you cant get full frame results because the EOS R forces a crop.
Similarly, if you take a non-Canon lens and put it on the EOS R, you can shoot with the full frame area of the sensor.
To summarize: You are being penalized for buying all Canon, as the only combination that forces a crop is the Canon camera + Canon lens. (default can remain as is, but let advanced users enable it in a custom function).
Just one example is the below lens which I have (Canon EF-S 10-18mm), and another I'd like to have when ultimate flexibility is concerned (Tamron 18-400mm)

4) Allow setting a photo or video crop in 0.1 increments (from 1.0 to roughly 3.0). - A 1.3x video crop would be ideal for that Tamron lens.

5) I will remember a few more after I hit that 'post thread' button.
I see that almost all of your wishes are about video.
I don't care about video much but I still have some suggestions for Canon:
  1. Implement something that's already available for the 5D Mark IV: to be able to play the photos in succession, when still zoomed in at 10x times magnification. This is very useful when you're using the LCD to remove the photos that are not focused properly. My bad, this is already possible, using the dial around the "Mode" button; thanks Kit Lens Jockey for the tip!
  2. Decrease the EVF resolution when shooting high-speed action, to decrease blackout.
  3. The smallest focus point is not small enough for some applications, for example birds eyes in the bush or between the branches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
  1. Implement something that's already available for the 5D Mark IV: to be able to play the photos in succession, when still zoomed in at 10x times magnification. This is very useful when you're using the LCD to remove the photos that are not focused properly.
  2. [..]

Both the RP and M6II can do that, I changed the rear wheel from "jump 10" to "1" in settings and I can scroll through pictures while zoomed in.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
Both the RP and M6II can do that, I changed the rear wheel from "jump 10" to "1" in settings and I can scroll through pictures while zoomed in.
OK, I tried that and I don't see any option for the rear wheel to "jump" anything. I scrolled through all the options in "Customize Buttons" and it's just not there.
I have mine set to "Direct AF Point Selection" anyways, since I find it very useful and similar to how the 5D Mark IV scroll wheel works...Maybe the RP has that but not the R?
Interesting...
Thanks,
Nelu

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
OK, I tried that and I don't see any option for the rear wheel to "jump" anything. I scrolled through all the options in "Customize Buttons" and it's just not there.
I have mine set to "Direct AF Point Selection" anyways, since I find it very useful and similar to how the 5D Mark IV scroll wheel works...Maybe the RP has that but not the R?
Interesting...
Thanks,
Nelu
I also couldn't see how to change the rear wheel (not d-pad) to jump 1 instead of 10. Would be useful.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
On the RP that settings is in the playback menu, tab 3. Not in the customize button menu where I keep looking for it :)
Maybe, but not on the EOS R. On the blue, playback tab 3, the last item on the page is "Magnificatn" (is actually misspelled this way), and it's not what I was talking about.
What I added to the wish list is the capability to zoom in to 10 times and STAY zoomed in when you use the left or right arrows on the four-way controller to switch between photos.
Currently, if you do just that it will simply scroll through the selected photo, from one side to the other; not really useful.

Anyhow, I don't think Canon will release any kind of relevant updates for the EOS-R. Maybe I'm just a little bitter after learning about the "meh" specs of the new 1DX Mark III.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
If I remember right, if you zoom into the photo and then roll the rear wheel on the EOS R back and forth (the one that goes around the mode button) it moves one photo forward or back while staying zoomed in.
Darn it, you do remember well! That's it, that's how to do it! Man, that's very different from the 5D Mark IV...
Thanks a bunch!:)
Nelu

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks for the tips guys. Browsing images at 100% zoom is really useful for checking focus.

It really is! What I would very much like to have is something slightly different: keep the focus point in view while browsing through the pictures in 10x mode. For bursts the focus point is usually close enough, but using eye AF on an active 3 year old makes it move all over the place :)

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
It really is! What I would very much like to have is something slightly different: keep the focus point in view while browsing through the pictures in 10x mode. For bursts the focus point is usually close enough, but using eye AF on an active 3 year old makes it move all over the place :)
I just checked and it does it already. At actual size view you'll see the selected AF point area, even if the actual AF point itself is not displayed.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I just checked and it does it already. At actual size view you'll see the selected AF point area, even if the actual AF point itself is not displayed.

For the first picture, yes, but if you use the back wheel to move to the next picture it doesn't move the zoomed area to the AF point.

Upvote 0