Review: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III real world sports review

This is the review I've been waiting for. The autofocus improvements look very good. Feeling much better about 20 mpx now.
The reduction in AA filtering and better low light performance could offset the lack of an MP bump. I guess we’ll have to wait a while to know that for sure. I think you’d be very impressed by the new AF. It feels much faster than the Mark II which I wouldn’t have thought possible. The additional AF points and the speed with which you can change them are going to be a big deal IMO. If you are a field/arena/stadium sports shooter and the finances are there I think youd have to go for it. Canon owns Tokyo 2020 at this point unless Sony has an A9 III up their sleeve.

For me, who isn’t a pro sports shooter and isn’t going to be doing multi cam big budget video productions that I shot in RAW, it’s going to be hard to justify buying any DSLR at this point let alone one that costs $6500.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Makes me want a 7D Mark III so I wouldn’t have to always be forcing my 5D to do things it wasn’t designed for.

we’ve had a 70D, 80D and 90D, all with much better sensors, since the Mark II was released 5 1/2 years ago. Canon has completely lost the casual wildlife shooters market. Mostly to Nikon with their affordable long lenses and the D500.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Makes me want a 7D Mark III so I wouldn’t have to always be forcing my 5D to do things it wasn’t designed for.

we’ve had a 70D, 80D and 90D, all with much better sensors, since the Mark II was released 5 1/2 years ago. Canon has completely lost the casual wildlife shooters market. Mostly to Nikon with their affordable long lenses and the D500.
\
I was thinking the same thing. It makes me sad, because Canon CLEARLY has the autofocus technology, and has improved low light performance. If they would just put out a 7Diii I'd be over the moon.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
That review makes me want a 5D5 even more, if it has the same focusing system. Also, I would like 30MP and a 200 shot buffer at 10 FPS. Last but certainly not least, a $3500 price tag.
It won't have the "same" focusing as the 1Dx III. The sheer difference in battery sizes has a LOT to do with AF performance. And I'll bet the processors will be different as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That review makes me want a 5D5 even more, if it has the same focusing system. Also, I would like 30MP and a 200 shot buffer at 10 FPS. Last but certainly not least, a $3500 price tag.
Would you like a pony with that too?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It won't have the "same" focusing as the 1Dx III. The sheer difference in battery sizes has a LOT to do with AF performance. And I'll bet the processors will be different as well.
The battery is identical between the 1DX II and 1DX III. It is not the source of improvements we expect from the 1DX III.

The 1DX III uses a radically different focusing sensor. The white paper for the 1DX III goes into more detail, but essentially it represents a break with the traditional technology that relied on relatively few line pairs. Just look at the thing - on the new one, the detectors are so small you can't even count them:

Screenshot_20200109-075504~2.png

The processors are also improved greatly. But it does look like we will see variations of that processor in future cameras.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
....and all due respect to PRM but he is a paid Canon spokesperson.
He is, but the examples he used are the type of use cases the II struggled with. In the past he’s been candid that he seldom used anything but single or expanded point autofocus, but was able to shoot successfully using zones on the III. I was more interested in the examples he was showing which I know would have been hard to do on the II.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Would you like a pony with that too?
I ordered my 5D3 on the day it was introduced because the focusing system was VERY similar to the 1Dx system and a major upgrade from the 5D and 5D2 focusing systems. The biggest difference was that the 1Dx had a larger battery than the 5D3 and could drive the lens focusing motors faster. There is precedent for what I want.

Concerning the 7D3, I would like one also but the 90D appears to be a major functional improvement over my 7D.

Upvote 0
He is, but the examples he used are the type of use cases the II struggled with. In the past he’s been candid that he seldom used anything but single or expanded point autofocus, but was able to shoot successfully using zones on the III. I was more interested in the examples he was showing which I know would have been hard to do on the II.

This was the main item I was waiting for in his review. Glad he explicitly mentioned it. I will say that American football is the easiest case for such AF. Very interested to see how it does in basketball and volleyball and other more condensed sports. Also noted that he appeared to shoot at f/3.5, which was interesting and also gives him better DOF and easier for the AF to look spot on. Not sure why he didn't shoot at f/2.8.

And it should be noted that these were likely JPEGs from the camera as raw processing is not out yet I believe.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
They can but will they do it? EOS 5DMkIV has 7fps half of 1DxMkII fps using viewfinder.
And 5DMkIII had 6fps half of the 12fps of 1Dx using viewfinder.
But even if 5DMkV gets 8fps this is enough for both birding and sports (remember the first Canon EOS 1D series?)
The issue with 5DMkV will be how fast and accurate is the focusing and whether it will be able to drive really fast the big teles (with or without the teleconverters). I think it will be well behind 1DxIII (in the white tele drive part at least)

EDIT: And what about the buffer?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
This was the main item I was waiting for in his review. Glad he explicitly mentioned it. I will say that American football is the easiest case for such AF. Very interested to see how it does in basketball and volleyball and other more condensed sports. Also noted that he appeared to shoot at f/3.5, which was interesting and also gives him better DOF and easier for the AF to look spot on. Not sure why he didn't shoot at f/2.8.

And it should be noted that these were likely JPEGs from the camera as raw processing is not out yet I believe.

I was surprised that he used AV mode not manual. Also, I can't tell if he used Auto ISO. My guess is yes, since the ISO varies quite a bit but over a fairly narrow range. 1600 was the lowest ISO I saw in his images.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was surprised that he used AV mode not manual. Also, I can't tell if he used Auto ISO. My guess is yes, since the ISO varies quite a bit but over a fairly narrow range. 1600 was the lowest ISO I saw in his images.

My recollection is that he always shoots in Av mode because he always shoots in well lit stadium, so never has to worry about his shutter speed getting too low. I usually shoot manual with Auto ISO, as I don't have that luxury.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

He has the luxury of shooting in pro sports venues with better lighting. I recall another video where he said he uses the 70-200 f4 because it’s lighter. And in this one I got the feeling that he was used to shooting at 3200, rather than 6400.

On the other hand I’m not sure 3.5 gets you all that much more depth of field.

I’m not expecting miracles, but I’m feeling like Canon did recognize the need for autofocus improvements and made a real effort to improve performance.

Upvote 0
I’m not expecting miracles, but I’m feeling like Canon did recognize the need for autofocus improvements and made a real effort to improve performance.

I have always used single point and expanded for sports as nothing else is usable. The AF upgrade may really change the way I shoot. Mine is coming in February in the middle of volleyball season, so that will be one test.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I have always used single point and expanded for sports as nothing else is usable. The AF upgrade may really change the way I shoot. Mine is coming in February in the middle of volleyball season, so that will be one test.

Well, do remember to gives us your feedback in that case scenario.:)
And then go out doing some bird photography and report back!;)
My single most significant complaint about the 1DX2 is that it almost certainly was not refocusing when shooting at 14 FPS, for me anyway, having tried a few different settings. Otherwise I could have had some more really great flight photos of small birds and action photos of running animals. AF and improved high ISO would be the possible tip the scale items for my GAS (and maybe the improvement in the sensor LP filter).

Jack

Upvote 0