Here is the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Oct 24, 2019
And no one has commented on the insane macro capablity? 0.5 macro (filling the FF sensor with the lens cap).
Looks to be a nifty lens. need weather resistance so i won't "downgrade", but still curious how it will look like without the digital lens corrections, think should be less compromised than the 24-240 (which is still perfectly good with DLC).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm not an RF guy (yet) but can someone explain how to manually focus this lens? Not sure if the other RF zooms work the same way but it just looks like it has a zoom ring and the control ring. AF/MF switch reads "focus/control." Do you flip the switch and focus with the control ring? Doesn't that suck if your control ring is controlling something important like ISO?

I am not too sure how big a problem this is.
I seldom use the manual focus now but would leave it that way.
ISO I would change even less frequently or leave it on auto ISO and be done with it.
So flipping the switch back and forth does not seem like a big deal and if others would be honest they will admit with this lens manual focus would not be used much etc.
Also if it keeps the price down even better. Want it all? Get an L lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And no one has commented on the insane macro capablity? 0.5 macro (filling the FF sensor with the lens cap).

Good eye! Macro mag not listed, but 0.2m MFD would be a dramatic upgrade over other 24-105s. The RF and EF L 24-105s have a MFD of 0.45m.

Very good news for 24-105 fans. Possibly bad news if you love your EF 24-70 f/4L IS and its 0.7x max mag (like I do), as putting this feature into the non-L 24-105 might mean an RF 24-70 f/4L may not be coming.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
not sure how I feel about that. On a lens like this I almost always would use autofocus. But,can the control ring be assigned AF? Probably not.

if the price is good enough then it might be a good choice.

Yes the switch toggles between manual focus and other control ring functions so you can leave it on manual focus all the time or control ring all the time, your choice.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Dont like design choice of eliminating Af/Mf switch on non L RF lenses.

It is there.
Just called out differently.
Put on MF and you have MF.
Put on Control you have AF.
Just the same thing except on Control you get more features that the old AF/MF switch did not have.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I have had a love/hate relationship with the 24-105 f4 for years. Great all-round focal range just wish it was faster!

Canon seems like they want to show what they can build now in RF. Look at that 28-70 f2 beast. Dear Lord. I wonder if a 24-105 f2.8 IS is possible now? Probably similar size and price to the 28-70 if they can/would do it

Upvote 0
At first, I was a little grumbly when I saw that the control ring doubled as the manual focus ring, but then I thought more about it...

The target market for variable aperture, inexpensive, non-L lenses is beginners/novices who almost universally:

• Shoot in one of the auto-exposure modes.
  • Rarely (if ever) use manual focus.

There's a chance that a beginner/novice might only fit one of the above, but I'll bet it's unlikely many novice photographers will regularly use both functions. This makes it a smart compromise in functions (either/or) if it keeps production costs -- and thus price -- down as much as possible.

There will undoubtedly be some enthusiasts who enjoy quality, inexpensive lenses that will miss the dedicated, separate functions, but I'd wager they're in the minority.

As an aside, I think the release of this lens in fairly close proximity to the announcement/release of the R6 points to the R6 filling the RF lineup slot that the 6D filled in the EF lineup. Will be interesting to see...

Upvote 0
As amazing as these newer Canon lenses have been I’m anxious to see how well it performs against the new RF L version. I have the original 24-105 L f4 EF and my understanding is That the new RF version is markedly better.
I've been hanging on to my mk1 EF 24-105 for some time, but I don't think I've put it on my camera since picking up a 24-70 f/2.8Lii ~2 years ago. That 24-105 zoom range is so attractive to me, but I when I was comparing images between lenses I was always drawn to the 24-70 far beyond the 24-105. I had thought the RF version was pretty similar to the EF, but if it comes closer to bridging that gap I may need to make some changes... off to the digital picture!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I've been hanging on to my mk1 EF 24-105 for some time, but I don't think I've put it on my camera since picking up a 24-70 f/2.8Lii ~2 years ago. That 24-105 zoom range is so attractive to me, but I when I was comparing images between lenses I was always drawn to the 24-70 far beyond the 24-105. I had thought the RF version was pretty similar to the EF, but if it comes closer to bridging that gap I may need to make some changes... off to the digital picture!

The RF version supposedly surpasses the MkII EF by a notable margin.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

• Rarely (if ever) use manual focus.

I have been shooting for a bit over a decade properly, never once have I reached for MF on anything other than video. Though my main subjects are animals and Servo AF is life. I know a few novices and just getting them to try out AV and TV was scary for them, they wouldn't trust themselves over the AF of a camera.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
"Made in Taiwan". Low production costs, what about the quality ?
Almost all high quality "US" mountain bike frames are made in Taiwan. If the production machinery is well installed, maintained and operated (and I'm absolutely sure it will), quality will be a non-issue.
And Taiwan is no longer a low salary country like the PRC...

Upvote 0