Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yep, “lunatic” does derive from “luna”. For the record, since a few people reacted to my earlier post, I added the “r” to give a made up word (lunartic) because my intention was to not convey the first person to post a moon shot in the thread was mentally unstable, but to convey the person was mad (in the sense of enthusiastic) about the moon - in the context of SteveC’s use of the word “planet”. OK, I’m letting this go now :)
You could have used lunaphile - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lunaphile to describe the first poster (me).

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Since you claim that you don't want to solve the problem by disabling the touchscreen, I think what you're instead suggesting is that Canon develop a touchscreen that can tell a finger from a nose.

I’d welcome a reverse version for left eyed shooters (I cant see much from my right). I disabled the touch to focus feature when using the viewfinder. I had to learn to shoot a rifle from my left shoulder. I’d be willing to zoom with right hand and trigger shutter with left. I suppose I could shoot upside down and use the left thumb underneath?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I’d welcome a reverse version for left eyed shooters (I cant see much from my right). I disabled the touch to focus feature when using the viewfinder. I had to learn to shoot a rifle from my left shoulder. I’d be willing to zoom with right hand and trigger shutter with left. I suppose I could shoot upside down and use the left thumb underneath?
I wonder if people with this situation could set the touchscreen for 1/3 of the area such as the right or left only this would be helpful. I know it helped me on the M5 and until then I would be throwing my shots off right and left. Pun intended?

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

By "reverse version," do you mean a camera that's, like . . . flipped? Like the grip and trigger are on your left hand? Whether you're serious or joking, as a fellow left-eyed shooter, I have gotten used to it over time, although it definitely inhibits me from taking the classic "mirror selfie" while looking through the viewfinder with half my face visible ;)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Hopefully Canon has learnt from the EOS R. Some things on this camera just plain annoy, the touch screen that moves your focus point if your nose touches it, the badly positioned Touch Bar (bring back the joy stick) or the back button focus not falling properly where it should be. No problems with size or weight but the ergonomics were a step backwards for Canon. Yes you can disable the Touch Bar or the screen but what's the point of them disabled.

I will need a lot of convincing if the EOS R5 is a replacement for the 5DS. In typical 5D layout its pretty hard to beat in terms of layout.
You can also just use the right hand side of the touch-screen, which I do and have no problems with nose-clicking at all. They significantly improved the touchscreen AF selection in one of the firmware updates last year, and if you haven't tried it since then, I'd recommend giving it another go. The touch bar isn't great, but after you get used to engaging it (which took me a while), it's fine for simple things like magnification.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
I wonder if people with this situation could set the touchscreen for 1/3 of the area such as the right or left only this would be helpful. I know it helped me on the M5 and until then I would be throwing my shots off right and left. Pun intended?

We can, but the reality is that our nose is on the screen and right eye shooters nose is to the side.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
We can, but the reality is that our nose is on the screen and right eye shooters nose is to the side.
Sounds like a candidate for a Quattro! But seriously though, you set the touchscreen for only the left third active and hit your AF spots with your left thumb.Your nose activates nothing. But as always, I am wrong and in 3...2..1... someone will point out how.
DP1_q_LVF-01_2.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com

I‘m in the same boat, left eye is way too dominant to switch. I just turned off the touch screen and use the dpad. It’s not ideal, but I’m no pro, so it works for me. All of the other features make up for it for me, although a joystick would sure be nice.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com

For me it works okay in landscape, but my nose changes the focus point in vertical way to easily. It’s super frustrating. Turning the screen off and using the dpad is my move.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That’s a common error. The point for photographic exposure is the brightness of the surface, not the apparent size of the subject. Larger is more light but not a brighter surface.

In terms of the field strength of the light falling on a square meter of the earth, it is brighter because the light source is larger. My previous comment clearly indicated that was the measure I was using.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Nov 6, 2019
In terms of the field strength of the light falling on a square meter of the earth, it is brighter because the light source is larger. My previous comment clearly indicated that was the measure I was using.

I missed that and was replying on the assumption that we were discussing photographic exposures and not how brightly lit the ground was.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
You can also just use the right hand side of the touch-screen, which I do and have no problems with nose-clicking at all. They significantly improved the touchscreen AF selection in one of the firmware updates last year, and if you haven't tried it since then, I'd recommend giving it another go. The touch bar isn't great, but after you get used to engaging it (which took me a while), it's fine for simple things like magnification.
I still feel like the EOS R was a rushed, compromised camera and Im hoping Canon fix the issues in the EOS R5 & R6. I spent two hours with a Canon Japan engineer last October going through the pros & cons of the C700 and at the back end of this we discussed the EOS R / 5D MKIV. He made loads of notes and we ran through the two camera with them in front of us. Im not expecting the current Touch Bar to survive.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Getting back to off-topic, this is real moon photography by jrista whose absence I for one regret.

I think he abandoned using ILCs for his astro work, instead using purpose built astronomical cameras.

Upvote 0
I still feel like the EOS R was a rushed, compromised camera and Im hoping Canon fix the issues in the EOS R5 & R6. I spent two hours with a Canon Japan engineer last October going through the pros & cons of the C700 and at the back end of this we discussed the EOS R / 5D MKIV. He made loads of notes and we ran through the two camera with them in front of us. Im not expecting the current Touch Bar to survive.
Can agree that all cameras are compromised to one degree or another. Each generation gets better (usually) and compromised based on its price point, intended purpose, and state of the art.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Can agree that all cameras are compromised to one degree or another. Each generation gets better (usually) and compromised based on its price point, intended purpose, and state of the art.
Ok but the EOS R was really compromised. :cautious:

Not a bad camera, I've used mine almost exclusively since it came out. The things it does, it does great. But I just can't help but feel I'm using kind of a third rate piece of equipment when I use it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
I have a huge nose with a contact smudge always visible on the screen but after the last update have had zero issues with the touch focus point. I cannot imagine what you guys must look like.
I don’t believe you; let’s see the pictures of your nose!:)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Any info or opinions if an APSC-sensor model makes any sense for the R-series cameras?

Full frame is the big money & market-share objective in mirrorless, but I thought that APSC bodies were Canon's volume sellers, so there are probably many people out there who aren't advance or pro-shooters but have already invested in a Rebel or x0D-body and EF-S lenses.

If I'm happy enough with my T2i or 80D, and still rely heavily on my EF-S 24mm pancake, 17-55mm, and 18-200mm, do I need to give those up when I want to upgrade?

I believe the R-series cameras have a crop mode, but they are still full frame and full priced bodies aimed at a the upper-end buyers. An APSC specific body might enable Canon to address a lower budget segment, and offer a path for non-pro but frequent-enough shooters who have invested in enough EF-S lenses to want to stay in that lens ecosystem.

Thoughts?

It's called the "M" series, which is the best selling mirrorless camera system on the planet.

Upvote 0