What’s next from Canon in 2020?

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There is a lot more than this to the story
- Yes, you gain 1.6x in reach
- You loose 1.6x of light so a f4 lens becomes an effective f6.4; f5.6 becomes an effective ~f9
- A crop sensor requires lenses that resolve 1.6^2=2.56 times as well (lenses for 32MP aps-c sensor should be designed for 82MP ff equivalent)
- Crop sensors reach the diffraction limit 1.6^2=2.56 times faster, the 90D has a diffraction limit around f5.1

so let me understand:

1. shooting in identical lighting conditions, FF vs APS-C, are you saying that you have to shoot with x1.6 wider aperture to compensate for crop factor? correct?

2. and you further suggest that x1.6 should be used as an aperture value multiplier to workout a correct aperture value to compensate for the x1.6 crop factor.. as in: F6.4 = 1.6 x F4. right?

3. are you saying that double the amount of light for F4 is F8? and 4 times amount of light is F16?

please enlighten me!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
IBIS seems to be impossible for a mirrored camera. Both Nikon and Canon have said or at least hinted at this when asked. I would also not expect the lack of ibis to lower the cost of a DSLR, it’s a bigger body with more moving parts... or at least it is free profit.
I guess you haven't heard about Sony A-mount then.
In case of no IBIS, the EOS R5 sits above the 5D V so the latter wouldn't be as expensive.
Canon and Nikon also hinted that a lot of parts in mirrorless cameras like the EVF is also expensive to make.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Oh, I'm curious about that part. Could you quote or link a source where they hinted at that?
WB: Is there something inherent about mirrorless technology that allows you to make a full-frame camera starting at such a low price-point, compared to a DSLR?
Canon: It's really difficult to pinpoint what technology made this camera so affordable. There's some components that can be made more inexpensive with the introduction of the mirrorless system, but at the same time, there are other components that need to be implemented for mirrorless. The EVF is one thing that generally makes the mirrorless camera more expensive than a DSLR to produce.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

B77

Feb 16, 2020
I just hope Sony announces their version of EOS R5 type specifications as soon as possible for one single reason - price. If Canon will be left to offer "the best camera on the market", as they already claimed with EOS R, where they tried to sell you old specifications for $2k+, they will throw some ridiculous price tag on EOS R5 as well. If Sony comes out with the same specifications for normal price, they will be at least forced to offer a reasonable price. I mean, phones are coming out with 8K video and 4K full frame cameras are $1.000 and Canon is still trying to sell us 4K 1.7 crop for $2.000+....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I just hope Sony announces their version of EOS R5 type specifications as soon as possible for one single reason - price. If Canon will be left to offer "the best camera on the market", as they already claimed with EOS R, where they tried to sell you old specifications for $2k+, they will throw some ridiculous price tag on EOS R5 as well. If Sony comes out with the same specifications for normal price, they will be at least forced to offer a reasonable price. I mean, phones are coming out with 8K video and 4K full frame cameras are $1.000 and Canon is still trying to sell us 4K 1.7 crop for $2.000+....
And R5 doesn’t even come with an inbuilt flash! I mean there is inbuilt LED light in every single phone! No Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I am interested to know people's thoughts about switchers - specifically Sony switchers.
They all moved to Sony from Nikon/Canon because of specs.

And many of them use EF glass with Metabones or MC-11 adapters.
Switching back is just one body away.

Canon will price the R5 aggressively to win those suckers
back - and then milk them on lenses.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
With f=7.1 at the long end my guesstimate is three digit.

Absolutely not. The lens is basically an EF 100–400mm f/4.5-5.6 L II but with extra 100mm at the tele end added so there’s less need for an extender. Canon’s white L lenses don’t have three-figure prices. That just does not happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Absolutely not. The lens is basically an EF 100–400mm f/4.5-5.6 L II but with extra 100mm at the tele end added so there’s less need for an extender. Canon’s white L lenses don’t have three-figure prices. That just does not happen.
The Canon EF 70-200mm f4 L USM Lens has a retail price of £589 in the UK, so doesn't that qualify as a white L lens with a 3 digit price tag?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
so let me understand:

1. shooting in identical lighting conditions, FF vs APS-C, are you saying that you have to shoot with x1.6 wider aperture to compensate for crop factor? correct?

2. and you further suggest that x1.6 should be used as an aperture value multiplier to workout a correct aperture value to compensate for the x1.6 crop factor.. as in: F6.4 = 1.6 x F4. right?

3. are you saying that double the amount of light for F4 is F8? and 4 times amount of light is F16?

please enlighten me!

May I suggest to have a look at the below link, that is a nice example and explanation on the effect of sensor size onto the FOV, DOV etc...
Difference in sensor sizes = crop factor. Here the crop factor considered is 2 comparing FF vs M4/3.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
May I suggest to have a look at the below link, that is a nice example and explanation on the effect of sensor size onto the FOV, DOV etc...

I am familiar with FOV and DOF concept.
However, exposure levels are not affected by crop factor. In fact are Also not affected by sensor size, pixel pitch, room temperature and humidity

Upvote 0
They are doing 4 FF cameras this year, we know 3 of them, if 4th is the high-megapixel mirrorless camera (which is not taken for granted), then we can expect the 5D Mark V next year, which would explain why there is no rumour about it yet. They might have the technology to put IBIS in it, too - or price it lower than the R5 due to the lack of it, keeping it more simple.

I'm not sure IBIS will ever make it into the DSLR's .. and if it does, it will be limited because of the communication limits of the EF mount.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0