What’s next from Canon in 2020?

When you read that even after this amazing specs of the R5, the camera still not good for some....well, then something´s wrong in the photography world! :D Now, that said, I do understand that everybody has different "personal specs", different needs...but damn....this camera with 12/20FPS, 40/45mp should be more than ok for most of the jobs/hobbies in photography. This camera can do everything, from landscape to wildlife, weddings, etc...even comercial photography if you don´t need those MF specs.
However I do understand if it´s not the camera that fit´s your needs, but that´s why camera brands launch more than 1 models.

Now....What i am failing to understand is this new R6. So let´s see what we know so far:

- Canon Rumors said to us that the camera don´t have that top LCD. That could lead us to a camera "RP style" witch means entry-level camera. However this camera is "only" 20MP when the EOS RP is 26.2MP! So why the less MP? Isn´t this weird if you are an entry level hobbist looking for a entry level camera for example? Less mp should mean less desire for the camera. Unless...it is much more cheaper than the EOS RP.

- Then we have the video specs....And video specs give us...4K60fps!!! Unless the rumor is incorrect, this entry-entry level camera will have PRO video specs!! At least in FPS...How come? Does it come with lot´s of limitations? Like no AF in 4k60, with huge crop?

-Then you have the 12FPS mechanical and 20 FPS Electronic shutter...Just like the EOS R5!!! Woww....Should an entry-entry level camera make the same FPS as the TOP model??

- SO...We have top specs in a modest 20mp sensor (Which I dont consider modest at all considering for example the 1DxmkIII), with a body that is rumored like the entry level RP (no top lcd).

We don´t really know too much about this camera but man...this specs are unbelievably confusing!! :D :D

- What should we expect?

- Entry-entry leve camera below RP in price but crazy TOP specs but low MP sensor?
- EOS R replacement with TOP video improvement, TOP FPS but less resolution sensor?
- EOS R6 will be a video-centric camera? (this would explain 20mp sensor and TOP specs in video and FPS)
- EOS R6 is a completely new segment camera that can be considered a baby R5 with more affordable price
- EOS r6 is a APS-C camera to introduce the 7dmkII (and XXD cameras) with 20mp sensor and TOP specs of video and FPS.

Pick up your choice!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Those are bigger, heavier lenses with worse optical quality. There is a reason why they are cheaper, this one will be priced close to 3000$ with the teleconverters being similarly expensive.
This lens is aiming to be a EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM II replacement (or a direct rival to the Sony FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS) with even better optical quality and very lightweight as well.
Also likely to work very well with a teleconverter.
I think I would prefer the 5.6 and shorter reach vs 100 mm and 7.1. Guess we can see what the f stop drop off is between 400 and 500mm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why should the R5 sensor be worse than that of the 5DIV, which by the time the R5 comes out will be almost 4 years old...?
We were just theorising 'what if'. Hopefully it won't be worse. Moreover if we extrapolate the 1DXIII sensor performance, it should be better than 5DIV's.
But it's Canon. Full frame 6DII sensor isn't better than the very old 6D.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
- Then we have the video specs....And video specs give us...4K60fps!!! Unless the rumor is incorrect, this entry-entry level camera will have PRO video specs!! At least in FPS...How come? Does it come with lot´s of limitations? Like no AF in 4k60, with huge crop?
It is not so confusing where this new model will sit in the model range: it is mid-level, not entry level. IBIS is not an entry-level feature at all. Less megapixels means fast enough for uncropped 4k full sensor readout and great low-light performance in video.
So it will go above the EOS R and under the EOS R5
So expect it to be around 2200-2500$ (closer to the latter)
The A7IV will probably also come with 4k60p and also cost a similar amount of money.

Upvote 0
It is not so confusing where this new model will sit in the model range: it is mid-level, not entry level. IBIS is not an entry-level feature at all. Less megapixels means fast enough for uncropped 4k full sensor readout and great low-light performance in video.
So it will go above the EOS R and under the EOS R5
So expect it to be around 2200-2500$ (closer to the latter)
The A7IV will probably also come with 4k60p and also cost a similar amount of money.

Ok, its understandable! However, this will only attract vloggers and youtube content creators... :) It will not be a desirable photo camera at all! The "old" Sony A7 III has 24MP and I predict that a new Sony A7 IV when it´s coming probably will have more a bit. Maybe 28 or so. MP are not important to me, and a difference between 24 and 20MP is completely negligible....But you know market! So...if this camera is made with great video specs to rivalize with the A7III/IV....well...don´t know if will stand out! For me, 20fps with 4k60 and 20mp would be perfectly fine...but for the market....don´t know. I can already see those travel bloggers complain about those 20MP and the most funny is that they don´t ever print a single photo! :D

EDIT: Ohhh another thing.....It will have no top LCD?? How come a camera with no top LCD placed above the EOS R?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Ok, its understandable! However, this will only attract vloggers and youtube content creators... :) It will not be a desirable photo camera at all! The "old" Sony A7 III has 24MP and I predict that a new Sony A7 IV when it´s coming probably will have more a bit. Maybe 28 or so. MP are not important to me, and a difference between 24 and 20MP is completely negligible....But you know market! So...if this camera is made with great video specs to rivalize with the A7III/IV....well...don´t know if will stand out! For me, 20fps with 4k60 and 20mp would be perfectly fine...but for the market....don´t know. I can already see those travel bloggers complain about those 20MP and the most funny is that they don´t ever print a single photo! :D
From the specs it could be the top vlogging/YT camera of the year actually, that alone makes it popular, especially if it keeps C-Log as well (I think everything above the EOS R will have C-Log from now on).

The A7IV will likely going to be using the exact same sensor with new processor that enables 1.5x 4k60p crop mode.
The EOS R is also there with 30MP for those who think 20MP is not enough (it is), everything is well segmented and has its place and usage.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
They are doing 4 FF cameras this year, we know 3 of them, if 4th is the high-megapixel mirrorless camera (which is not taken for granted), then we can expect the 5D Mark V next year, which would explain why there is no rumour about it yet. They might have the technology to put IBIS in it, too - or price it lower than the R5 due to the lack of it, keeping it more simple.
I understand the want of a 5DV. What I believe is that with the announcement of the end of development of new EF lenses, they are sending a very clear signal that they are done with DSLRs (and the last Rebel was late). One way to look at it is this; Why would Canon not get consumers in to RF mount bodies sooner, especially when they can still use their EF lenses? Consumers are not going to stampede away from Canon in protest, when their glass is still usable. I guess it boils down to this question; Will you wait until next year for an unannounced, and uvrumored 5DV, when you can buy an R5 six months sooner?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
When you read that even after this amazing specs of the R5, the camera still not good for some....well, then something´s wrong in the photography world! :D Now, that said, I do understand that everybody has different "personal specs", different needs...but damn....this camera with 12/20FPS, 40/45mp should be more than ok for most of the jobs/hobbies in photography. This camera can do everything, from landscape to wildlife, weddings, etc...even comercial photography if you don´t need those MF specs.
However I do understand if it´s not the camera that fit´s your needs, but that´s why camera brands launch more than 1 models.

Now....What i am failing to understand is this new R6. So let´s see what we know so far:

- Canon Rumors said to us that the camera don´t have that top LCD. That could lead us to a camera "RP style" witch means entry-level camera. However this camera is "only" 20MP when the EOS RP is 26.2MP! So why the less MP? Isn´t this weird if you are an entry level hobbist looking for a entry level camera for example? Less mp should mean less desire for the camera. Unless...it is much more cheaper than the EOS RP.

-Then you have the 12FPS mechanical and 20 FPS Electronic shutter...Just like the EOS R5!!! Woww....Should an entry-entry level camera make the same FPS as the TOP model??

- SO...We have top specs in a modest 20mp sensor (Which I dont consider modest at all considering for example the 1DxmkIII), with a body that is rumored like the entry level RP (no top lcd).

We don´t really know too much about this camera but man...this specs are unbelievably confusing!! :D :D

- What should we expect?

- Entry-entry leve camera below RP in price but crazy TOP specs but low MP sensor?
- EOS R replacement with TOP video improvement, TOP FPS but less resolution sensor?
- EOS R6 will be a video-centric camera? (this would explain 20mp sensor and TOP specs in video and FPS)
- EOS R6 is a completely new segment camera that can be considered a baby R5 with more affordable price
- EOS r6 is a APS-C camera to introduce the 7dmkII (and XXD cameras) with 20mp sensor and TOP specs of video and FPS.

Pick up your choice!! :D
There is also the possibility that the 20MP sensor in a prototype was borrowed from the 1DS3 for testing purposes while a different sensor is being developed. Canon doesn't have a history of re-using 1 series sensors in lower level cameras.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I understand the want of a 5DV. What I believe is that with the announcement of the end of development of new EF lenses, they are sending a very clear signal that they are done with DSLRs (and the last Rebel was late). One way to look at it is this; Why would Canon not get consumers in to RF mount bodies sooner, especially when they can still use their EF lenses? Consumers are not going to stampede away from Canon in protest, when their glass is still usable. I guess it boils down to this question; Will you wait until next year for an unannounced, and uvrumored 5DV, when you can buy an R5 six months sooner?
As I said, the answer is simple. Not everyone likes change. Yes, the EOS R5 is a step towards being DSLR-like with the controls, it is still not the same (less buttons, more tightly packed). No matter how good the EVF is, it is still not the same (when someone says it is, he is not telling the truth, EVFs have quite a way to go still). The adapters function the same, but the handling (weight distribution) compared to directly mounting an EF lens on a body is not the same. Durability is not quite the same as of now.
They have made significant improvements to the 1DX III AF system, why wouldn't they want to put that into a new 5D as well for people who want a DSLR, but don't want the 1DX form factor and pricing but with all the improvements the new sensor can bring? Just doesn't make sense to me.
I mean, there is only a handful of new RF lenses they can come up with every year. It still takes plenty of time to grow.
So EF might be down, but very far from being out (especially for video), as with DSLRs.

Upvote 0
There is also the possibility that the 20MP sensor in a prototype was borrowed from the 1DS3 for testing purposes while a different sensor is being developed. Canon doesn't have a history of re-using 1 series sensors in lower level cameras.

Yep, I believe that until we don´t know things better we can only try to guess what´s coming. Canon always tries different sensors when a camera is in tests but...don´t know...

From the specs it could be the top vlogging/YT camera of the year actually, that alone makes it popular, especially if it keeps C-Log as well (I think everything above the EOS R will have C-Log from now on).

The A7IV will likely going to be using the exact same sensor with new processor that enables 1.5x 4k60p crop mode.
The EOS R is also there with 30MP for those who think 20MP is not enough (it is), everything is well segmented and has its place and usage.

Indeed, for vlogging it will be a huge camera, with those 4k@60 specially if they are not cropped. I understand the segmentation you talk. But from listening to those youtubers, I know they want everything and they will thumbs down the camera if the MP will be too low. I make it clear that of course I don´t agree with this and I also don´t listen to these "influencers"...But the truth is that a big number of them´s they actually don´t understand too much of photography but they are specs geeks!

well, I don´t think this will be a camera for my use, I will get the R5, let´s see what´s coming with this R6. Maybe could become a very handy solution to a backup body!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I know they want everything and they will thumbs down the camera if the MP will be too low. I make it clear that of course I don´t agree with this and I also don´t listen to these "influencers"...But the truth is that a big number of them´s they actually don´t understand too much of photography but they are specs geeks!
That's very unlikely. The main 'problems' were the lack of IBIS, 4k crop, worse low-light, high frame rates and dual card slots.
Since Canon cameras do not dual-record video as of now (the 1DX III does proxy recording), that last one is not significant. (And they are pushing this new image.canon cloud service with their newest cameras which does provide instant raw backup).
Since all the rest has been set up really well (articulating touchscreen, DPAF, a good number of lenses with IS, adapters, Canon colours) it could be a very well-received and very popular camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
As I said, the answer is simple. Not everyone likes change. Yes, the EOS R5 is a step towards being DSLR-like with the controls, it is still not the same (less buttons, more tightly packed). No matter how good the EVF is, it is still not the same (when someone says it is, he is not telling the truth, EVFs have quite a way to go still). The adapters function the same, but the handling (weight distribution) compared to directly mounting an EF lens on a body is not the same. Durability is not quite the same as of now.
They have made significant improvements to the 1DX III AF system, why wouldn't they want to put that into a new 5D as well for people who want a DSLR, but don't want the 1DX form factor and pricing but with all the improvements the new sensor can bring? Just doesn't make sense to me.
I mean, there is only a handful of new RF lenses they can come up with every year. It still takes plenty of time to grow.
So EF might be down, but very far from being out (especially for video), as with DSLRs.
When I replied I had not seen the timely rumor. I agree on most of your points, especially the EVF vs OVF. So assuming that this roadmap item is actually produced, has the same features as the R5 (execpt IBIS), and ships in 2021, how many will wait for it vs the R5. Or more importantly, as Canon is very unlikely to announce a 5DV before the R5 is shipping, how many will wait for an announcement after the R5 is already shipping (and hopefully proven)?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not saying they "Wont" just saying there doesn't seem to be a need to rush. The RF line penetration at this stage is still in its infancy. Those big old suckers usually get stuck on things like the R5 level of cameras or more particularly the R1x types. I just think we wont see too much in that department until that R1X gets it's full blown, official announcement.

The EF 300mm f/2.8 was introduced in November 1987 only a few months after Canon revealed the EOS system. The first pro EOS body, the EOS-1, was not introduced until September 1989.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
When I replied I had not seen the timely rumor. I agree on most of your points, especially the EVF vs OVF. So assuming that this roadmap item is actually produced, has the same features as the R5 (execpt IBIS), and ships in 2021, how many will wait for it vs the R5. Or more importantly, as Canon is very unlikely to announce a 5DV before the R5 is shipping, how many will wait for an announcement after the R5 is already shipping (and hopefully proven)?
It is not for people who are getting into RF, those who do that are unlikely to switch back (but if they do, they still have another option).
It is for people who are perfectly happy with EF and DSLRs.
There are still plenty of them out there and it won't make that much difference when they are going to announce it.
You have a 5D Mark III (or a 6D, etc.) and you upgrade to a 5D Mark V (or a discounted 5D Mark IV), no need to do anything else, job done.

Or you can buy an EOS R5 and get your wallet gets progressively lighter by those fancy, new and exciting RF lenses because that's probably what it will demand in the long run, not adapted lenses, which are only a stop-gap solution.

Upvote 0