What’s next from Canon in 2020?

It is not for people who are getting into RF, those who do that are unlikely to switch back (but if they do, they still have another option).
It is for people who are perfectly happy with EF and DSLRs.
There are still plenty of them out there and it won't make that much difference when they are going to announce it.
You have a 5D Mark III (or a 6D, etc.) and you upgrade to a 5D Mark V (or a discounted 5D Mark IV), no need to do anything else, job done.

Or you can buy an EOS R5 and get your wallet gets progressively lighter by those fancy, new and exciting RF lenses because that's probably what it will demand in the long run, not adapted lenses, which are only a stop-gap solution.

I've found this to be true. The only lens in EF mount I still use on the R is the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 VC and only because I've spent too much on RF glass already to justify replacing it. The RF versions of the trinity fully outperform their EF equivalents on the R.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
you’re dreaming if you think the R5 is going to be $3500. Just like their overpriced RF lenses, Canon is going to charge a huge premium for being the only one with features their competition does not have. $5k for the R5 and if the R6 is even real, it’s going to be $3k.

I agree. My guess is that the only thing RP-like on the R6 will be a smaller form factor. It will be priced above the R and will be focused mostly on video whereas the R5 will be the larger all-arounder.

I've always maintained that the R is the new 6D. We may not see an R mark II, but in a couple of years you'll see an upgraded version in the same price range with a new designation. Likely still with no IBIS to keep price down for prosumers like me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
lagging behind.. are.you.serioius? admit it was a joke. :D

Not this again!

so let me understand:

1. shooting in identical lighting conditions, FF vs APS-C, are you saying that you have to shoot with x1.6 wider aperture to compensate for crop factor? correct?

2. and you further suggest that x1.6 should be used as an aperture value multiplier to workout a correct aperture value to compensate for the x1.6 crop factor.. as in: F6.4 = 1.6 x F4. right?

3. are you saying that double the amount of light for F4 is F8? and 4 times amount of light is F16?

please enlighten me!

Not this again!!

I mean, phones are coming out with 8K video and 4K full frame cameras are $1.000 and Canon is still trying to sell us 4K 1.7 crop for $2.000+....

NOT THIS AGAIN!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
And maybe that's why they might introduce 5D5. The research has already been done for R5. They don't have to make anything new they can just put R5's sensor and electronics in a mirrored body.

My view (and I've been wrong about things before) is that releasing a 5D5 is a sensible move. I see the situation as akin to the 90D being released with very similar specs to an M series body - it gives people a choice at this point, where DSLR sales are still significant. I wouldn't be surprised if the R5 got something extra though, IBIS is the obvious choice, both for technical reasons and to tempt people across. But it seems foolish to abandon the sector so soon.

Upvote 0
If R5 is worse than 5DIV, it'll be more than a stop difference between the R5 and the A7RIV.
But most importantly, I don't seek respect for being loyal to a brand. If Canon were paying me, maybe. But currently it's me who pays Canon. So it's Canon who should respect me as a customer and release cameras with good dynamic range. :)

So wait, are you now implying their cameras don't have 'good dynamic range'? Has a tiny bit behind some competitors become 'bad'? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
If R5 is worse than 5DIV, it'll be more than a stop difference between the R5 and the A7RIV.
But most importantly, I don't seek respect for being loyal to a brand. If Canon were paying me, maybe. But currently it's me who pays Canon. So it's Canon who should respect me as a customer and release cameras with good dynamic range. :)
Honestly, I'd bet on better DR than worse at this point in time. The 1DXIII results just got posted on photons to photos and its DR is class leading according to the first tests - beats the 5D IV and the a9II and is a hair behind the A7RIV.

If they improved the DR from the last generation, I'd expect them to implement that improvement in the R5 as well, though the margins between these cameras' performance are pretty small.

Upvote 0
Looking at it from a different side, which FF DSLRs with OVF have been announced lately? 1DxIII, D6 and .... ?
Nikon D780 too.

To be fair though, not a lot of full frame bodies have come around to their typical renewal cycle recently either, so we shouldn't expect release of those bodies until they're well past their expected date. Many full frame bodies are released on a largely predictable schedule with some exceptions. Let's look at some of the renewal cycles to see which bodies should have appeared by now and haven't:

1DX - ~4 year cycles - last version in 2016, newest version announced for 2020 on target
5D - 3-4 year cycles since 5D - last version in 2016, should be due this year; typically released near September
6D - ~4.5 year cycles - last one released in 2017, so we could expect one in 2021
5DS - there's only been one release in 2015, so who knows what a typical release cycle is, though there is no suggestion a new version is coming.
D6 - 4 year cycles - last one was 2016, newest version announced for 2020 on target
D850 - 2-3 year cycles - last version in 2017, newest version should be in 2020
D750 - 6 year cycles - last version in 2014, newest version announced for 2020 on target
D600 - Unsure of cycle, but Nikon openly cancelled this line so I don't see a new one coming
K1 - honestly, who knows if Pentax will even release another full frame camera at this rate, though they did openly say they thought people would come back to mirrored shooting recently, so I don't see them moving to mirrorless.
a99 - 4 year cycles - last version was 2016, newest version would be due late 2020, though I'll bet it will never be renewed considering the success of their mirrorless line.

I'm blanking on other full frame cameras which have traditionally had an OVF which have not been released, so I would argue that while there is a lot of movement toward mirrorless, we haven't seen a lot of OVF-driven lines miss their scheduled renewals in favour of a mirrorless alternative just yet.

Upvote 0
7D Mark II is 20.2 MP. The full frame equivalent should be 51.7 MP (45MP is about 17 MP crop).
Where is the 7D MarkII upgrade?
Just think of the R6 as the FF variant with similar resolution, likely better high ISO, similar mechanical frame rate, but EVF instead of OVF.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
My thoughts confirmed R5
1. 40-50mp
2. EVF of the R or better
3. Flippy
4. 8k 30 fps
5. 4k 120 fps
6. Magnesium alloy body
7. Fully weather sealed
8. 2 card slots likely CFexpress
9. 12 fps m/20 fps e
10. Digic X
11. Black and maybe black and silver
12. 3499-4499 usd maybe as low as 3000
My guess for R6 is as follows
forum factor as the RP
1. 20-26 mp
2. Better EVF then the RP but not the same as the R5 (not that the one on the RP is bad)
3. Flippy screen
4. 4k at 60 fps video uncropped maybe downssampled from 5.5k
5. 1080 at 120fps
6. No Magnesium Alloy body
7. Minimal weather sealing if any
8. One or 2 card slots likely SD UHS-II maybe UHS III
9. Photos 20-24 fps
10. Digic 9 if there is such a processor likely Digic X
11. Black and possibly other colors
12. Either 799-999 usd or 1299-1599 usd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
FWIW, Jared Polin said in a video published yesterday that he believes the 100-500 will come in around $2K. I'm tempted to agree, and I also can't see myself buying it if it hits around $3K.

Maybe there will be an L series 70-300 or 70-400, with a faster aperture, that hits around the price you mention, and that will replace the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM II.

EDIT: and there will certainly be space for one of the above in Canon's lineup, given how slow the 100-500 is at the telephoto end.
I sincerely hope so. I really like my 100-400 II and still find that F5.6 is still pretty slow for many things. I'll likely use an adapter with it vs the R in development.

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
A fast ultra-wide L prime will also be announced in 2020.

I keep parsing this over and over. I'm hung up on the "ultra" part of ultra-wide.

I've googled a bit and it seems to me that most photographers talk about wide-angle they are taking about lenses that are 24mm and up a bit.

But ULTRA wide to me would be below 24mm.

14mm and the like?

11mm?

Does anyone consider 24mm ULTRA wide?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I'd bet on better DR than worse at this point in time. The 1DXIII results just got posted on photons to photos and its DR is class leading according to the first tests - beats the 5D IV and the a9II and is a hair behind the A7RIV.

If they improved the DR from the last generation, I'd expect them to implement that improvement in the R5 as well, though the margins between these cameras' performance are pretty small.

That's exactly what I said in my previous message. The message you responded to was a response to an attack from SecureGSM...

• Haha
Upvote 0